Cleveland Classic Hybrid Preview Thread

So then I hit the FW and Hybrid. I'll post those in the appropriate threads. I expected a good bit out of this hybrid, and I was actually a little disappointed. Again, they went the route of the deep face, which I did not like. And the club in general was just okay. Flight was okay, Distance was okay, nothing really stood out to me. I'd actually prefer my current Mashie over the club (It was the H3 btw). Sadly, the club just didn't fit my eye. I'd much rather have TT 2,3, and 4 irons that I'm comfortable with then this. Because those would be explosive.

Hmmm...

I think Cookie needs to update this thread some more.

Hmmm...

I think Cookie needs to update this thread some more.

I will for sure, 54 holes this weekend and this should see quite a bit of action.

I hit this for the first time over the weekend and saw pretty poor results. I was hitting the H4 & it just seemed to hook like crazy for me. I was not seeing the same hooks from the MT4 iron either. I am thinking I need a heavier shaft for sure, but that might not even be enough for me.

My hybrid finally arrived. it looks great, i cant wait to see how this goes. Never had a hybrid in the bag so I'm pretty excited to see how ii do with it.

Im jonesing for some more updates on this. I have still not hit it.

I did drop my favorite hybrid shaft into this head (NVS 85 hybrid) which helped with the weight issues quite a bit and improved consistency. At least for me though it lags behind several other hybrids and will not be making my bag - it really does not stand out in any area.

I'm pretty excited to hear what the story is on these on open course rather than sim. Do they feel like an extension of the iron set? Forgiving? Hookable like the last couple?

It's Cookie time.

Im jonesing for some more updates on this. I have still not hit it.

I'll try to get some this week. It was left in the car since I was playing the Altitudes all weekend.

I did drop my favorite hybrid shaft into this head (NVS 85 hybrid) which helped with the weight issues quite a bit and improved consistency. At least for me though it lags behind several other hybrids and will not be making my bag - it really does not stand out in any area.

Which ones did you like better? Similar shaft used in each?

As far as the OEMs, I had the best performance with the Ping G25 and the X Hot Pro hybrids. The G25 is more consistent with launch and spin with the Pro being a bit longer. Unfortunately will be some time before I can see true turf interaction though. These two are among the most favored when I do fittings as well.

As far as my bag, the Wishon 775 holds the hybrid spot firmly.

All tested with the NVS hybrid shaft.

Which ones did you like better? Similar shaft used in each?

I hit the Classic hybrid over the weekend (H3 with the Ozik Stiff) and had very mixed results. The first few I hit on the simulator were pretty decent, about 220 and fairly straight. But after I switched clubs and came back to it, I did not have any success. They were a mixed bag of low hooks with a few decent shots mixed in. The 220 area on well hit shots is pretty consistent where I would hit my 20* Nike Sumo SQ hybrid. The Classic hybrid did feel longer than normal too length wise. I need to measure my Nike to see how long it plays. I want to try this out with a heavier shaft in it, I have never gotten along with light shafted hybrids.

As I said previously, I still think it actually looks better in person then the pics show online. Just might need to add a heavier shaft and see if it reduces those misses.

I agree that it is very good to my eye. The heavier shaft really solved any leftward tendencies for me - just didn't love any aspect of it even with the better shaft. I'll try it again when we have grass.

I hit the Classic hybrid over the weekend (H3 with the Ozik Stiff) and had very mixed results. The first few I hit on the simulator were pretty decent, about 220 and fairly straight. But after I switched clubs and came back to it, I did not have any success. They were a mixed bag of low hooks with a few decent shots mixed in. The 220 area on well hit shots is pretty consistent where I would hit my 20* Nike Sumo SQ hybrid. The Classic hybrid did feel longer than normal too length wise. I need to measure my Nike to see how long it plays. I want to try this out with a heavier shaft in it, I have never gotten along with light shafted hybrids.

As I said previously, I still think it actually looks better in person then the pics show online. Just might need to add a heavier shaft and see if it reduces those misses.

I recently purchased the Classic H4. I've never owned a hybrid before, so it arrived yesterday and today I was headed to the range to see what it's all about. On the way over my son and I decided to take advantage of the warmer weather and went to play instead. So my initial testing and getting the feel for the hybrid world would take place on the course.

So I decided that I would play this hybrid off as many tees as I would hit a 3 wood. I will honestly say that the first few swings with it were absolutely horrible. I'm talking nearly disastrous. So on the third tee I teed it up and played it in the same position as a 5 iron. I hit a very high sweeping draw. It was playable but way to much right to left movement. It was amazing to see the ball take of so high and see it land so softly. I knew I was close but needed to work on ball position to get the ball flight straighter. Over the next few shots I played around with ball position till it started to settle in. Finally on the last par 5 I hit a nice drive and had a little over 230 to the green. With a tail wind I figured it was a good chance to throw the ball up and let it work its way using the wind. I absolutely pured this shot, and watched as it tracked to the green. It landed on the green and had maybe 6 feet or movement on the green. AMAZING I immediately feel in love with this club. I was on in two and putting for eagle. I then committed the cardinal sin and left the putt about 3 inches short for a kick in birdie.

Kevin!!!

This fella sent me a text while playing talking about these sweeping draws, and I let it ride knowing he'd figure it out quick.

I have a feeling the partnership you're about to forge with that hybrid is going to be top tier buddy. Time to get that thing in the signature and celebrate excellence.

Kevin!!!

This fella sent me a text while playing talking about these sweeping draws, and I let it ride knowing he'd figure it out quick.

I have a feeling the partnership you're about to forge with that hybrid is going to be top tier buddy. Time to get that thing in the signature and celebrate excellence.
I gotta make room for this beast. And honestly I'm thinking about handing it off for something with a bit more distance after seeing the hybrid light

I gotta make room for this beast. And honestly I'm thinking about handing it off for something with a bit more distance after seeing the hybrid light

The hybo at the 18* (or I suppose 20.5* with this beast) has been a game changer. 230 bombs with relative ease.

I like these changes buddy. I like them a lot for you.

Awesome stuff Kevin! Look forward to reading more from you.

I am seriously thinking about the H1. I think at 2" shorter than the Classic 3w, I would have more consistent results.

My ponder is between the classic fw 7 wood vs the h3.

Need to hit this one in a bad way.

Would the H3 be your only hybrid?

I think you could pull off the all fairway wood set up since you've played and scored well with your current bag.

Not sure about your launch conditions but generally a fairway wood gives a higher launch than a hybrid (using same loft and same length shafts). What I often do with players is split the difference by going to a shorter fairway wood. Too often the lower-lofted hybrids aren't good for much else than tee work unless you have a high swing speed or unusual swing characteristics. I think this is one reason why the larger headed hybrids have really taken off in the past few years.

Awesome stuff Kevin! Look forward to reading more from you.

I am seriously thinking about the H1. I think at 2" shorter than the Classic 3w, I would have more consistent results.

I think you could pull off the all fairway wood set up since you've played and scored well with your current bag.
I've been playing the 3/5/7 setup for a while, and really like it. I know that setup will give me what I am looking for.

Just want to hit one of these in a bad way.

Back