Cleveland Golf Huntington Beach SOFT and SOFT Premier Putters

I’m excited for the initial outing with the #11 after a lot of indoor putting. It should be a great day for it and I’m hoping for some early confidence still I can be aggressive with putts.

Based solely on my indoor time, I’ll say the mallet feels well constructed at impact. I’ve felt plenty in the past that felt strange on off center contact but that isn’t the case here

Round one is in the books and I definitely had some mixed results. The number 11 shape and face balance helped me hit my start line quite a bit. I’m coming from a bit of a blade, so old habits die hard a little bit and adjusting was an active thought (less than ideal). I have a feeling that will change next round so I’m not too worried. I really like the way the shape and alignment aid frames your intended line and the ball.

I really, really struggled with speed today. I think part of it was the bigger, heavier head and the mallet and part of it was the greens were faster than they have been in at least a month (likely 2) due to a championship going on today. I have to admit that I was not prepared for the conditions encountered and it was a bit of a self induced three putt parade. But the promise is there - I burned some edges but didn’t have my bearings to leave easy two putts.

The SINKFIT grip is great - I’m thrilled with the stock choice and the finish looks really muted in bright light. The feel is a little bit less loud and lively then the blade I’m coming from. I have a lot of hope for the future and I think it’s going to be good for my game.

TL/DR: Aim great, speed bad; player brought C- game to the course but promise shown.

The number 11 shape and face balance helped me hit my start line quite a bit.
I agree that the #11 shape is a big help on alignment. I got the #10.5, and my only real issue so far is that I'm coming to it from a #11, so I'm adjusting to a shape that doesn't give as much help. Going pretty well though, and I'm sure I'll get used to the different shape quickly.

I wasn't able to get a round in this weekend. So, I made it up to the course up the road from me. My very first roll I sank about a 15 footer. It does feel like my miss hits roll better than they do with my Odyssey double wide. I rolled around 70ish putts. I'd pick a hole and roll 4 with the #11 and then 4 with the double wide. The #11 felt softer off the face and also had a better sound. I also felt like I didn't have to hit it as hard. The alignment line is an issue I have. I get it that they were going for a darker look, more "stealthy," but I preffer a line that I can see and feel like I'm getting better alignment. Will give more in the next day, might be leaving work early to play 9.

Velcro head covers... Had hoped that CG moved onto magnetic by now, but that's a small qualm. My #8 fell into the FedEx no-update vortex. Hard to say when it gets here now.

Got my first round in today with the 10.5c, wasn't ideal with punched greens but regardless a few things to point out. Its been awhile since I used a center shafted putter and/or a bigger grip. I do like the grip, with the flat surface on top I feel like I can tell if I'm rotating my hands. One thing I really notice is this style of putter really makes you use your shoulders or the putt will be off line.

For first time on course I wasn't displeased with performance, I didn't make anything really though. I rolled a couple long ones pretty close so distance control was good but I missed quite a few inside 6ft. Today I'll blame that on the punched greens. I still think its kind of baffling how this putter feels solid yet soft at impact. Its really unlike any other putters in my possession.

Got my first round in today with the 10.5c, wasn't ideal with punched greens but regardless a few things to point out. Its been awhile since I used a center shafted putter and/or a bigger grip. I do like the grip, with the flat surface on top I feel like I can tell if I'm rotating my hands. One thing I really notice is this style of putter really makes you use your shoulders or the putt will be off line.

For first time on course I wasn't displeased with performance, I didn't make anything really though. I rolled a couple long ones pretty close so distance control was good but I missed quite a few inside 6ft. Today I'll blame that on the punched greens. I still think its kind of baffling how this putter feels solid yet soft at impact. Its really unlike any other putters in my possession.
How is contact high on the face? I found that if I had too much forward lean, it felt funny but when I reduced it the feel was stellar.

How is contact high on the face? I found that if I had too much forward lean, it felt funny but when I reduced it the feel was stellar.
I'm not a forward leaner so I couldn't tell you. I could try if you like haha. If anything I hit it low on the face depending on ball placement. There is a definite different feeling when hitting the absolute center though, its even softer.

I am a fan of the 10.5 shape I can say that. Its small enough to not be a mallet but definitely bigger than a blade. Alignment is pretty good too and of course its easy to pick the ball up with the putter which happens to be a preference of mine.

Just tested this out just for you while doing some basement putting 😉 I agree with forward lean it’s a different feel, much more hard than soft and a different sound as well. Not sure if though if the center shaft version I have affects that at all compared to a regular model

Just tested this out just for you while doing some basement putting 😉 I agree with forward lean it’s a different feel, much more hard than soft and a different sound as well. Not sure if though if the center shaft version I have affects that at all compared to a regular model
Yeah, it was jarring this past weekend but now I know the error. Thanks

I am scheduled to play Friday and Saturday, so the 10.5 should get a good workout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s time to raise the curtain on Cleveland Golf’s new Huntington Beach SOFT Premier putters and its expansion of the successful Huntington Beach SOFT line. Cleveland Golf has consistently proven that you can make high-quality milled putters with absolute attention to detail and face technology at a really competitive price point. If you haven’t been paying attention to Cleveland putters, it may be time you perked up because you may just be surprised with what you learn.

Milling technology is the big story with both lines, as the new Huntington Beach SOFT Premier and the Huntington Beach SOFT putters are built on the same underlying technology, SOFT. SOFT, or Speed Optimized Face Technology, is face milling technology that is designed to help golfers with one of the biggest problems plaguing amateurs: speed and distance control.

Continue reading...
Excellent Article! I've been extremely impressed with the last 3 or 4 lines of Cleveland putters. They will definitely be added to my "Gotta Try" list. Again, Excellent Article!

Rolled a bunch of putts with the 10.5c last night. Every 10 balls or so I'd switch back to my Scotty Newport 2. 2 completely different putters in weighting and style I know but had to be done. Maybe its because I'm more familiar with it but I felt I had to really focus more with the 10.5c, where the Scotty just felt natural. I can't put my finger on why but it felt like and based on ball rotation occasionally I am either cutting across the ball or leaving the face open with the 10.5c

I will say though that when I put a good stroke on it the 10.5c feels great and rolls great. There is definitely a softer feeling when hitting the center too which I don't always do and it puts a great roll on the ball. I also think its pretty easy to align and the center shaft doesn't seem to hinder that at all like some others I've tried.

Rolled a bunch of putts with the 10.5c last night. Every 10 balls or so I'd switch back to my Scotty Newport 2. 2 completely different putters in weighting and style I know but had to be done. Maybe its because I'm more familiar with it but I felt I had to really focus more with the 10.5c, where the Scotty just felt natural. I can't put my finger on why but it felt like and based on ball rotation occasionally I am either cutting across the ball or leaving the face open with the 10.5c

I will say though that when I put a good stroke on it the 10.5c feels great and rolls great. There is definitely a softer feeling when hitting the center too which I don't always do and it puts a great roll on the ball. I also think its pretty easy to align and the center shaft doesn't seem to hinder that at all like some others I've tried.
I’ve been rolling it about 50-100 putts a day recently and it feels more natural for my stroke but I’m still adjusting to it too

I’ve been rolling it about 50-100 putts a day recently and it feels more natural for my stroke but I’m still adjusting to it too
What do you have and what are you coming from?

What do you have and what are you coming from?
I'm coming from a million putters but typically ones with a fair bit of toe hang. And I'm a #11 now.

I'm coming from a million putters but typically ones with a fair bit of toe hang. And I'm a #11 now.
Are you noticing any tendency to miss one way or the other. Which 11 the single bend face balanced or slant neck? Just curious. I always wanted to try that shape and would probably have leaned slant neck if I went that direction.

In the midst of meetings today but my #8 came in just in time for a gap between calls. After spending 10 minutes getting all the stickers and residue off (even used a heat gun... Thanks PGASS), I was able to roll it for a while in the basement. Stalled my second 6 footer on my Putt Out trainer! Love the feel so far, but haven't really tested anything other than a few straight putts. Putting it directly into the bag though. Hopeful for a range session this week if work doesn't screw me on that and a round this weekend weather depending.

Looks wise, I think this finish is definitely an upgrade from the Frontline models. I'm a fan of the murdered out look so this entire setup is right up my alley. Knew I'd love the grip going in so no surprises there. The 8 is a wide-ish blade design. I wouldn't say it's as wide as the Odyssey double wide or say a Betti QB6, but more in line with the old Odyssey 1 wide designs. Happy to snap some pictures if anyone would like to see some comparisons. I do have a QB6 downstairs as well.

Are you noticing any tendency to miss one way or the other. Which 11 the single bend face balanced or slant neck? Just curious. I always wanted to try that shape and would probably have leaned slant neck if I went that direction.
I need to find a way to meet up and play cap. I have the HB 11 slant neck and the Frontline Elevado slant neck you could try out.

I went face balance because I was having so much luck with a face balanced putter in the spring. Right now my miss is a pull because I’m focusing on the head of the putter and it feels open when it isn’t. When I relax and just stroke the putt the ball goes straight. It’s just an adjustment period but the putter does what it needs to when there isn’t user error

I spent at least an hour practicing putts today - mostly straight 5 footers. I found that I was setting up with the face a hair closed/hooded and it was causing some things. Bad things. But I think I’ve got it ironed out.

As a guy who likes a blank putter with no markings, I like that the 11 has no alignment aid on the face and the line on the back is dark.

I played 18 with the #10.5 again today, and I'm really liking this putter. Like my HB SOFT #11, distance control is so much more consistent for me than with an insert putter. The #11 shape works a little better for me, mostly on the shorter putts, but I'm pretty sure that with a bit more time with the #10.5 that'll be a minimal difference. I really think this HB SOFT Premier putter series should get serious consideration from anyone looking for a new flat stick, the quality and value are through the roof! :drinks:

I have yet to put the #11 into play. I am playing in a 9 hole scramble tomorrow evening and anxious to see how it will work for me on the course. I have been rolling about 50 - 75 putts in my living room everyday and getting a better feel for the 11 but, the grip is starting to feel a little awkward and bulky. I did like it at first. It's now feeling like it may be too big. They do seem to be close to the same size. Maybe it's the square-ness on the front of the grip. I have not gamed one with that square of a front face. On my double wide I have the stock over-sized grip that came with it and it feels like more the size I need. I have said it before, the sight line still gets me. It's too dark for my eye. I need a bright white or some other color for the line. Or maybe glasses, who knows. On a brighter note, I have been WAY more accurate with my pace with the 11. My double wide feels like it's kind of all over the place. The weight is tremendously different. The double wide seems to feel like a feather after using the 11 for awhile. I do like the weight and sound of the 11. I can actually feel the ball off the face with a solid sound. There is a great difference in sound from the 11 to the double wide.

Back