Cleveland Launcher HB Irons

JB;n8896307 said:
Market share doesn’t include anything like that. It’s done from GolfDataTech and is the most measurable form of sales data that exists. Used, auction sites, etc are not going to be included.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification

JB;n8895978 said:
The Launcher HB and its not close.
Both sold pretty darn well and to give people an idea of how well. The last month market share data that exists, The Launcher HB outsold some very popular options.

Every Mizuno iron that was not named 919 Hot Metal (it outsold the HMP)
Every Ping iron outside of G410
Every Titleist iron that is not named AP1

I'm more shocked that AP1 is their best seller... Although I shouldn't be.

Cost perspective considered, I totally get why these are dominating.

I bought 4-PW new on EBAY for $400 free shipping. They did not work out well for me, though.

tucsondivots;n8896804 said:
I bought 4-PW new on EBAY for $400 free shipping. They did not work out well for me, though.

What was the issue ?

Goalie, I play a mixed set. I use the 4, 5, and 6 iron HBs and 7 iron up in CBX. The combination works great for my game.

erock9174;n8897016 said:
What was the issue ?

Visually, I never felt comfortable with the bulky profile. Distance was a club less than my Rogue X (somewhat due to stronger loft on Rogue X) and trajectory more mid than high for me. I have gamed and enjoyed various versions of Cleveland (CG Black, Mashies, Launcher). The Launcher HBs are forgiving but not a game changer for me. Looking forward to seeing the changes to the Launcher HB line and the new UBX in October.

goalie;n8896312 said:
How many of you guys and gals using these ended up with a mixed set? I played really well last night u(for me)m Calloway Diablo Edge 7-pw and the Launchers for 4-6i.

My distance control seemed a little better with the higher lofted "regular" irons, but man, the 6,5 and 4 are still exponentially easier to hit for me.

I've also started really hooking my hybrids, and can still hit these straight, which is nice.

I recently did the same thing. Still love the Launcher long irons, but moved to 7 - PW 919 hot metals. Just couldn't get the right gaps with them in the short irons. Felt like I had to lean on them a bit, and that gave me some consistency issues. I also use my 9 iron for 1/2 and 3/4 shots from 50 -110 on approach shots. Had control issues with that shot using the Launcher 9. Might be the lighter graphite shaft. Played two rounds with this setup and played well. Think I'm going to use this iron config for the rest of the season and see how it goes. Recent results have been good.

duker51;n8897392 said:
I also use my 9 iron for 1/2 and 3/4 shots from 50 -110 on approach shots. Had control issues with that shot using the Launcher 9. Might be the lighter graphite shaft.

Could be the hollow body design too. I always used my 8i for chipping and when I started playing the 588 Altitude irons had issues with distance control there. Hit it on the sweet spot and my chips always went way too far.
I gave up and started using my wedges to chip.

Yea, that makes sense Erock. Def don't have the same yardage control on those shots as with the hot metals.

*************** Updating this post *****************

Last 4 rounds. 83 81 77 76. Trending downward. Went back to the full set of the HBs. Did some range work with the short irons and worked it out. And just having some much fun smashing the 4, 5, and 6 irons. They just want to go straight. They are working from all lies for me too. Really just amazed how good these are performing for me. Thanks to all on this thread for your reviews. I wouldn't have given these a second look if it wasn't for you folks and this thread. Thanks a bunch!!

Last edited:
Anyone still gaming these? Bought a used set from RBG. Curious if anyone can confirm these black dots on the PW and 9iron. I haven't seen these on any of the stock photos. IMG_20191031_124305.jpg

Thanks!

75975E33-D7CB-4FB6-BB9D-F7EA1E183225.jpeg

Anyone still gaming these? Bought a used set from RBG. Curious if anyone can confirm these black dots on the PW and 9iron. I haven't seen these on any of the stock photos. View attachment 8913132

Thanks!

Pretty sure mine have them as well, will confirm when I get home.

Well, my irons are purchased for 2020. Couldn't pass up the on the price. HB irons, 5-PW with dynamic gold shafts. $350 with free delivery:) The money saved will go towards a CBX2 in 48*:)

Well, my irons are purchased for 2020. Couldn't pass up the on the price. HB irons, 5-PW with dynamic gold shafts. $350 with free delivery:) The money saved will go towards a CBX2 in 48*:)

Saw your post in the T-Rail thread about the how the finish will hold up.

Just wanted to mention that the finish on the HB cavity is sort of a satin look that marks up pretty quickly. I owned the 6 and 7 briefly when they first came out and the wear was noticeable quickly. Also the paint on the sole will sort of looked smeared too after time.

One of the reasons I stuck with my 588 Tudes as the cavity finish on those is more of a matte/flat black that seems baked on. Holds up very well.

Here’s an example of the cavity wear:
EBC9578C-5633-47B1-8A77-8409E4EA5D88.jpeg
3C743F41-941D-45AF-BF4E-F676FA80856B.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info erock. I figure given that I didn't pay $900 the finish wearing might not stress me as much. I might also put a headcover on the irons that sit in between. So if 5,6,7 share a slot I'll stick a cover on the 6 iron. At this point, I'm just happy to have committed to my new clubs. Now I have a long wait to see them. I shipped them to my brother-in-law in New Hampshire to avoid all the tax, duty and transport fees. It'll be a nice Christmas present to myself!
I do have a question for you about your Altitudes, what wedge do you play after the PW? Thanks!

Thanks for the info erock. I figure given that I didn't pay $900 the finish wearing might not stress me as much. I might also put a headcover on the irons that sit in between. So if 5,6,7 share a slot I'll stick a cover on the 6 iron. At this point, I'm just happy to have committed to my new clubs. Now I have a long wait to see them. I shipped them to my brother-in-law in New Hampshire to avoid all the tax, duty and transport fees. It'll be a nice Christmas present to myself!
I do have a question for you about your Altitudes, what wedge do you play after the PW? Thanks!

First 4-5 seasons with the Altitudes I always used the set DW. But this season I put them back in the bag and seemed inaccurate with the DW. Since I like the CBX wedges (play the 56* and 60*) I added the 50* as my GW. I always use a Sure Out 64* for sand work and 60-70 yd full shots. Seems to be working out.

I have been working with these for a few months now.....when I am swinging well these produce ridiculously straight high shots even when mishit slightly. I’ve shot some of my lower scores recently. But I have a major issue with these and its sporadic massive hooking ! Doesn’t happen with any of my other clubs (club ho and play other sets here and there) Not sure why it happens with these clubs only...any ideas much appreciated and wondering if anyone else has experienced this with the Launcher or Turbo irons?!?! Thanks!

I have been working with these for a few months now.....when I am swinging well these produce ridiculously straight high shots even when mishit slightly. I’ve shot some of my lower scores recently. But I have a major issue with these and its sporadic massive hooking ! Doesn’t happen with any of my other clubs (club ho and play other sets here and there) Not sure why it happens with these clubs only...any ideas much appreciated and wondering if anyone else has experienced this with the Launcher or Turbo irons?!?! Thanks!
Not much experience with the HB’s in particular but from gaming the Altitudes for several seasons I’m not sure I’ve ever hit a fade with them. I think these generally produce a draw flight. Sometimes I would get that long and left shot.

Thanks.....yeah it’s strange and I know it’s all me but WITH this particular club that these hooks start showing up....my Wilson and ping Hybrids and irons.....never a snap or strong hook.....Cleveland HBs ....it can happen out of nowhere. Overall they go very straight and occasionally fade and slight draw.....have to work it out!!!

Not much experience with the HB’s in particular but from gaming the Altitudes for several seasons I’m not sure I’ve ever hit a fade with them. I think these generally produce a draw flight. Sometimes I would get that long and left shot.

Back