Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo driver

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
Received my 9* HB Turbo driver with the new Miyazaki C Kua 5R shaft that has weight higher in the shaft than the previous C Kua 5R in the Launcher HB Driver. The face is a Cup face design with variable thickness. I ordered it 1" short and 1 1/2 wraps on the Crossline 360 std grip. I added lead tape to the heel side of bottom to get it to D3.

First impression is it's L O U D!!! I prefer the whack impact sound of the Launcher HB driver rather than this PING impact sound of this new HB Turbo driver. That's probably due to the new Cup face. Second impression is the balanced feel of the club during take away, down swing and follow through. That's probably due to the new design C Kua 5R shaft with the weighting higher up the shaft, near the bottom of the grip. The first day results with this driver is most impressive. I play the Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* driver and this new driver is slightly straighter and slightly longer than the HB driver. Being 9* for the Turbo it makes sense that the flight is lower and longer, but man it feels great. After a few holes I didn't notice the loud impact sound because the results with the Turbo driver were very good.
Playing again Thursday and Friday and will get a driving range session tomorrow. I'm most well pleased with this new driver. Got to change a few things in my signature now, irons and driver.

Thanks so much for the information ... I was wondering if the buying public would be able to order a shorter shaft length from Cleveland and still take advantage of the higher weighting of the C Kua 5 shaft. I'm also interested in the Cleveland HB Turbo 3 wood, as well, as I've been told Cleveland incorporated the cup face technology in this fairway (but not the 5 wood, right?) ... thanks again!

Mike
MPM1960

Thanks so much for the information ... I was wondering if the buying public would be able to order a shorter shaft length from Cleveland and still take advantage of the higher weighting of the C Kua 5 shaft. I'm also interested in the Cleveland HB Turbo 3 wood, as well, as I've been told Cleveland incorporated the cup face technology in this fairway (but not the 5 wood, right?) ... thanks again!

Mike
MPM1960

It will be dependent on how short, but building right (and they do) they should be able to try and accommodate.

Don't forget the THP review in the OP of this thread!

(y)(y)(y)

And yeah, it is loooooooooooooooooud.

Don't forget the THP review in the OP of this thread!

(y)(y)(y)

And yeah, it is loooooooooooooooooud.

I like to announce my presence with authority

This driver is still the best balanced driver I've ever hit. The new C Kua shaft with weight more towards the grip end of the shaft makes it feel balanced. Distance is a few yards farther than the previous Launcher HB driver, straighter and overall a better driver.

For those pondering about a new driver should give this Launcher HB Turbo a test.

This driver is still the best balanced driver I've ever hit. The new C Kua shaft with weight more towards the grip end of the shaft makes it feel balanced. Distance is a few yards farther than the previous Launcher HB driver, straighter and overall a better driver.

For those pondering about a new driver should give this Launcher HB Turbo a test.

Absolutely. It's a damn solid driver.

Still a little loud. Ping @ impact.

Has anyone hit both this and the new Cobra Xtreme? I realize the cobra isn't in stores yet but I thought someone might have early access?!
Seems like they are both after the same crowd and have a lot of similarities. Definitely the two drivers I have the most interest in for 2020.

Has anyone hit both this and the new Cobra Xtreme? I realize the cobra isn't in stores yet but I thought someone might have early access?!
Seems like they are both after the same crowd and have a lot of similarities. Definitely the two drivers I have the most interest in for 2020.
I doubt very much that more than a handful have hit the new Cobra yet.

I think this one is aimed at a bit of a different segment, but, I do know that its a damn good driver, and @ddec review backed that up.

Yup, it doesn't have the super exciting bells and whistles....but it performed very well for me.

I am really intrigued with this one. I've not had a new driver for 5 or 6 years, so will be testing the water possibly early in 2020. This is definitely one that I'm wanting to hit along with the usual suspects.

This one not only got a very nice write up by @ddec , but also got a pretty nice on course review on YT recently, with one of the pros genuinely surprised how good his results were. If I could hit a full length driver, I'd be looking here hard if I was making a short list.

This one not only got a very nice write up by @ddec , but also got a pretty nice on course review on YT recently, with one of the pros genuinely surprised how good his results were. If I could hit a full length driver, I'd be looking here hard if I was making a short list.

Was that Mark Crossfield? I saw his review as well and they were both pretty astonished at how well it performed. I'm never really one to buy into YT club reviews, but that one made me sit up a little bit.

I like to think he read my review first and got intrigued haha

I think I mentioned it in the review or maybe just in the thread, but at full length I struggled a bit. Choke down a bit and it came alive. Really hope people don't immediately overlook it, because Cleveland did a nice job with it.

Was that Mark Crossfield? I saw his review as well and they were both pretty astonished at how well it performed. I'm never really one to buy into YT club reviews, but that one made me sit up a little bit.
Indeed it was. Dan Hendricksen looked equal parts surprised and delighted / annoyed at how well it beat his gamer straight off the shelf - and he is a fussy bugger ;)

Indeed it was. Dan Hendricksen looked equal parts surprised and delighted / annoyed at how well it beat his gamer straight off the shelf - and he is a fussy bugger ;)
Made me chuckle at the end when Dan asked if he could take it with him :ROFLMAO: And like you say, Dan is one of the fussy ones..

I just finished watching it after your PM. Very similar thoughts to what I have, which in a way is comforting.

I just finished watching it after your PM. Very similar thoughts to what I have, which in a way is comforting.
Well, quite. (y)

Whenever I mention external reviews in any way, it's never in isolation from, or instead of, the THP reviews (which I always enjoy, incidentally), but always to show contrasts that I find intriguing or similarities where a consensus is forming. Seeing you, Jman, Dan, Molten, JB, anyone I've forgotten engaging after the initial write up/video is invaluable (y)

Received my 9* HB Turbo driver with the new Miyazaki C Kua 5R shaft that has weight higher in the shaft than the previous C Kua 5R in the Launcher HB Driver. The face is a Cup face design with variable thickness. I ordered it 1" short and 1 1/2 wraps on the Crossline 360 std grip. I added lead tape to the heel side of bottom to get it to D3.

First impression is it's L O U D!!! I prefer the whack impact sound of the Launcher HB driver rather than this PING impact sound of this new HB Turbo driver. That's probably due to the new Cup face. Second impression is the balanced feel of the club during take away, down swing and follow through. That's probably due to the new design C Kua 5R shaft with the weighting higher up the shaft, near the bottom of the grip. The first day results with this driver is most impressive. I play the Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* driver and this new driver is slightly straighter and slightly longer than the HB driver. Being 9* for the Turbo it makes sense that the flight is lower and longer, but man it feels great. After a few holes I didn't notice the loud impact sound because the results with the Turbo driver were very good.
Playing again Thursday and Friday and will get a driving range session tomorrow. I'm most well pleased with this new driver. Got to change a few things in my signature now, irons and driver.
Any more updates? Still pleased with the purchase? What driver are you coming from? Inquiring minds want to know!

Crossfield was getting crazy low spin with the Turbo, probably too low. This is a driver aimed for the masses, right? Maybe his test was an exception.

Dave

Crossfield was getting crazy low spin with the Turbo, probably too low. This is a driver aimed for the masses, right? Maybe his test was an exception.

Dave

There is a full review on the home page with more data than the YouTuber is putting out

Any more updates? Still pleased with the purchase? What driver are you coming from? Inquiring minds want to know!
Coming from a Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* C Kua 5R @ 44.5" length. Extremely pleased with this new 9*Turbo driver, C Kua 5R @ 45.5" length. Love the lower launch with the 9*.

Crossfield just did another video on the Launcher. This time comparing it to the M6 and the results were favouring the HB.
I'm starting to think all of the reviews can't be wrong!

There is a full review on the home page with more data than the YouTuber is putting out

Just to clarify I was not in anyway criticizing the material on the home page. I will look at a variety of review sources though.

Dave

Back