Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons

As a piece of cross validation, Crossfield's review out on the HB Turbos as well - I knew he would love them. (y)

I hit the original HBs at PGASS and liked them quite a bit. I watched the Crossfield video too. He and Dan have some very good content.

Dave

Anyone demo these that use the previous generation HB irons? Wondering if the new price tag is worth the upgrade.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Anyone demo these that use the previous generation HB irons? Wondering if the new price tag is worth the upgrade.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I had the 4i in the previous gen. It's not close. Looks are a little similar, but performance I was seeing this past weekend was night and day to the original.

Working on writing up some stuff from the event, but since I'll be bagging/reviewing these longer term figured it could wait until I got the other stuff down on paper first (before I forgot it all lol)

I had the 4i in the previous gen. It's not close. Looks are a little similar, but performance I was seeing this past weekend was night and day to the original.

Working on writing up some stuff from the event, but since I'll be bagging/reviewing these longer term figured it could wait until I got the other stuff down on paper first (before I forgot it all lol)

I love this part of it.
I went to a weekend of golf and came home with a set of irons, like everybody else there.
Gawd that is fun.

I love this part of it.
I went to a weekend of golf and came home with a set of irons, like everybody else there.
Gawd that is fun.

But the craziest is part is these were on the outer reaches of the radar (ahead of that blade nonsense lol) if you told me my FIR and GIR stats dwarfed anything else that I bagged during the weekend, I would have said you're crazy.

But yeah, 12 guys, 15 irons 12 irons finding homes post event is pretty damn cool

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

But the craziest is part is these were on the outer reaches of the radar (ahead of that blade nonsense lol) if you told me my FIR and GIR stats dwarfed anything else that I bagged during the weekend, I would have said you're crazy.

But yeah, 12 guys, 15 irons 12 irons finding homes post event is pretty damn cool

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

I saw most of your approach shots with these for the first 5-6 holes and going fairway to middle of the green repeatedly is both fascinating and boring. The 4-5 will be going in my bag I think for the upcoming season.

Cleveland HB Launcher Turbo Irons

Shaft: AMT Red Shaft Red

Color:Onyx Black

FR300

I was lucky enough to receive these in the Cleveland HB Launcher Turbo irons I won(drafted) at the Ultimate Weekend of Golf A couple of weeks ago.

Background:

The heads and shafts weren’t on my radar going into this event. I played GI irons this year and they worked, I wasn’t in love with the performance, it may have been the shaft/head combos. I was leaning toward heavier shafts with a players profile head.

I had a fitting a month ago and I was fit into heavier shafts and a but more of an active tip. That was where my head was at.

The Shaft Performance:

Well fast forward to Sunday at the event- the AMT Red comes in Onyx Black and @Canadan built one hell of an appealing set:

E269B117-BAEC-4A38-A9B8-CC46D0288BF1.jpegBB04D560-0249-4B4E-9525-DD6605D092D5.jpeg667B4547-3738-4452-B9F3-C6E32899F977.jpegFD85EC78-A2EA-41A2-B29B-9596863A7E64.jpegF093A7FA-E1D6-4F02-9076-CF33844F5401.jpeg

The shaft head pairing are high launching weapons.

Was seeing nice mid launch (vs low/mid) that I saw with my older irons in the longer clubs - 4-6 and nice mid high/high ball flight with the mid and scoring irons.

Was seeing the ball do this:

016D9A70-AACD-4817-BFC1-B890B2765F9C.jpegB98AA06A-8205-40BB-A345-226FF43B4460.jpeg1548FC95-495E-4AAA-A170-7D675AA87A1F.jpeg

Thru the first 7 holes I had 6 GIRs and 7 FIRs

It was point and shoot for me, such an easy boring way to play golf lol

Let’ talk dispersion. Dispersion was fantastic, I was a bit concerned with the profile and these being R flex, but my concern was unfounded. I was able to hit greens and fairways and give myself a chance to score which is all you can ask for.

These checked a lot of boxes for me, performance, looks, feel. Cleveland definitely improved on the original version HB Launcher.

The combo of AMT Red and HB Launcher Turbo is a winning one and if you need higher launch and tight dispersion, I would recommend this combo.

Last edited:
Fantastic review. And what a testament to OEM's bringing new designs to the table, and an open mind reaping the benefits. This set was a favorite follow of mine during the event.

This has me deep in thought.

I'm looking forward to giving these a real on-course try this weekend in the scramble I'm playing in with @OITW. Like him I tend to gravitate towards a smaller iron profile, but hearing his feedback on these has me really interested. I've had some success playing SGI in the past and that might be an avenue I go in the future, at least to mess around with.

I'm looking forward to giving these a real on-course try this weekend in the scramble I'm playing in with @OITW. Like him I tend to gravitate towards a smaller iron profile, but hearing his feedback on these has me really interested. I've had some success playing SGI in the past and that might be an avenue I go in the future, at least to mess around with.

Definitely looking forward to your thoughts.

The combo of AMT Red and HB Launcher Turbo is a winning one and if you need higher launch and tight dispersion, I woulda recommend this combo.

Funny you mention this. I was looking yesterday at perhaps buying a Turbo 6i and Trail 6i with AMT Red to do some on course comparisons. However, Cleveland does not list the AMT red as an option on their site for the Turbo. Only the AMT white and Black are on there.

:rolleyes:

Get ready, they will be your irons in 2020.

Currently researching ways to get you an entire bag of Alien Wedges.

Under the Cobra custom shaft menu, they list the AMT r300 but with no indication if this is white/red/black?

Funny you mention this. I was looking yesterday at perhaps buying a Turbo 6i and Trail 6i with AMT Red to do some on course comparisons. However, Cleveland does not list the AMT red as an option on their site for the Turbo. Only the AMT white and Black are on there.

If you do your own club work, the AMT Reds can be had for $33 and less depending on where you're looking for the shafts.

From our interactions in other threads, I think this specific combo would be something you'd enjoy.

I was at the range yesterday (another write-up coming on that) had these up against the F9s and I could flight them both high, but these were more effortless in launching (if that makes sense).

If you do your own club work, the AMT Reds can be had for $33 and less depending on where you're looking for the shafts.

I heart THP Events as this combo is so absurdly good.

I heart THP Events as this combo is so absurdly good.

Hence my Mood...

Also big shoutout to the THP Club Lab

A little teaser to the next write-up, where these shine is the control and accuracy - compared to the F9 that is a distant machine, both irons launch high, both irons go far, but even in the windy conditions yesterday I these were solid in terms of hitting targets, better than the F9.

Thanks for taking the time to write down your observations from using these irons. I appreciate your opinions as to looks, feel and performance and I look forward to your observations as to distance, control and accuracy.

It appears that Cleveland is doing some good things with their new irons.

From our interactions in other threads, I think this specific combo would be something you'd enjoy.

I was at the range yesterday (another write-up coming on that) had these up against the F9s and I could flight them both high, but these were more effortless in launching (if that makes sense).

I’ll install grips and epoxy on tip adapters but that is about it.
For a full set of irons I’d rather let the oem build it .
Are the AMT Red Black Onxy even available ? I haven’t seen them anywhere online for sale.

Back