Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons

Well hit about 30 balls with the turbos. Graphite shafts appear to not be a non issue even with my tendency to get quick. I can still feel the clubhead even with the lighter shaft.

They just seem to want to go straight for me. When I did miss it seemed to be a push, but that may be more down to poor alignment vs anything with the clubs. Definitely 5-10 yards long than the OG launchers. Sound/feel off the clubface is definitely improved on these. With the OG launchers I would sometimes hit a great shot but couldn't tell it was going to be a good shot until I saw the flight in the air.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Well hit about 30 balls with the turbos...Sound/feel off the clubface is definitely improved on these. With the OG launchers I would sometimes hit a great shot but couldn't tell it was going to be a good shot until I saw the flight in the air.

i'm gonna hold out with the OGs...I grabbed some Srixon Z565s so the turbos will be on the backburner unless i find a great deal on them.

Thanks for the bump @OITW. Loved seeing the numbers there from the session. I still have these in the bag but this weather has kept me off the range/course. Hoping to get back out this week.

I'd love to get some number data but I have ZERO! access and no idea how they compare to my standard set but I will be gaming these for a bit, especially into the first of the season.

I would like to try these sometime.
I would highly encourage this. Read back through some of the posts and a lot of people have great takes on them. From mid-handicaps to the "hackers" like me, they are great irons!

If you can find a local shop to go hit a few, definitely do it!

What about them makes you want to try them?
I gave my dad the CBX irons I won from the sweep. I was really impressed by those. So, just curious what these are like and how they stack up against my CBX Iron-Woods.

J.B.,

Check them out at a demo day. I went to two of them last year (Sanford and Holly Springs) and the rep is very friendly and helpful.

The Turbos felt awesome. But, not worth the upgrade from my HB3's just yet.

I wished I paid more attention to the sand wedges when I was there.

CG

Another range session with the turbos and I am really digging them.

what do you like about them? What make them better than your previous clubs?

what do you like about them? What make them better than your previous clubs?
I like the flights of the lower irons much more than my previous F9 one lengths. I also feel like I can. Put a not great swing on them and all but the absolute worst shots will at least get the ball moving towards the target with decent results.

I like the flights of the lower irons much more than my previous F9 one lengths. I also feel like I can. Put a not great swing on them and all but the absolute worst shots will at least get the ball moving towards the target with decent results.

Forgiveness is sooo good.

my poor irons look pretty beat up now ?

I’ll have some more data on these this weekend.

I've only got in 1 round with them but have hit several hundred balls on skytrak and they just want to fly far and straight except for when I want to push them out to right field, which is no fault of the club.

got lots of bag chatter from many rounds on mine :):oops:

Since we can't find the Turbos or the HB3s around here, I'd have to buy online. At 65 w/SS around 75-85 mph, what would be the recommended graphite shaft flex - Regular or Senior? I'm playing my current TM Burner Superfast 3 wood and Cobra Fly-Z XL hybrid/iron combo in senior flex now. Never been fitted to these, but they work ok. Hate to make a blind purchase, but that's the only alternative I have.

Since we can't find the Turbos or the HB3s around here, I'd have to buy online. At 65 w/SS around 75-85 mph, what would be the recommended graphite shaft flex - Regular or Senior? I'm playing my current TM Burner Superfast 3 wood and Cobra Fly-Z XL hybrid/iron combo in senior flex now. Never been fitted to these, but they work ok. Hate to make a blind purchase, but that's the only alternative I have.

75-85mph would be a good fit for Senior flex.

Their stock Miyazaki shaft is a great stock shaft especially one that is lighter weight.

got lots of bag chatter from many rounds on mine :):oops:

Can you post a pic ?
This is the main reason I never adopted the HB’s. Stuck with the Altitudes because they held up better.

Can you post a pic ?
This is the main reason I never adopted the HB’s. Stuck with the Altitudes because they held up better.

20200124_140902.jpg20200124_140912.jpg

Man, I have played the 5 hybrid for over 2 years and it doesn’t look anything like that. Did you hit it off of rocks or catch a tree root?

Man, I have played the 5 hybrid for over 2 years and it doesn’t look anything like that. Did you hit it off of rocks or catch a tree root?

I honestly don't know...

EF7AB2DC-05E4-40E4-83B3-CB26AD0AA0CB.jpeg073326F7-D08B-4304-B9EF-559BF4F495C1.jpeg

This is consistent with many used sets I’ve looked at on ebay.
The cavity paint is what it is. With a satin finish it’s doomed just like a matte Finished driver Is it you don’t use a cover. But the sole paint imo was a pretty dumb idea on that iteration.

Whatever they used on the cavity on the Altitude version imho is the best they have come up with. I’ve been gaming my set for 5 + seasons.

Still looks pretty decent I think

Last edited:
Took these out the other day to compare to the following iron sets:

These have the :TrueTemper: AMT Red R300

Bridgestone J15 DPF with :TrueTemper: Elevate Tour S300

Cobra F9 Irons with :NipponShaft: Modus Tour 105 Shafts in Stiff Flex.

Wilson Launch Pad irons with KBS Tour 80 Stiff Flex Shafts

In terms of performance - from a number perspective as well as Dispersion and Trajectory, I the F9s performed the best - mind you my inconsistent amateur swing changes each session lol.

View attachment 8920030

View attachment 8920031

Orange is the Turbo Color for all of the data.

The HB Launcher Turbos - surprisingly were one of the lowest launching irons, I wonder if it's the shaft in there as most of the feedback is the high launch in these. Definitely makes sense where I see the Launch Pads and F9s launching higher. Speed on these was in line with the J15s which was a surprise to me, but it's been a bit slower last couple outings.

But the dispersion and forgiveness is there in these irons - compared to the other ones, I didn't have an really short significant distance losses. Solid performance, I think can be improved on.

View attachment 8920034

The J15s are my babies, tried and true and lots of great golf played with these - lateral dispersion was pretty tight, however not as great on the mishits as the other three sets - could get out there with the others but definitely giving up the forgiveness. From a launch standpoint, the lowest if not one of the lower ones.

View attachment 8920032

Cobra F9 6i - This had the best launch - pretty tight dispersion, fastest ball speed and highest spin - 4,900 RPM spin for a 6i, almost 700 RPM better than the other heads. Solid outing for the F9

View attachment 8920029

Wilson Launch Pads - probably the second best performer for me, lower spin good launch, second best to the F9s and had ball speed up as well. Definitely felt like I needed to step into them in the bay that day to get them to do what I wanted. Solid outing.

View attachment 8920033

The Turbos delivered in the space where I fell for them - accuracy and forgiveness - all strikes were consistent and the carry distance ended up pretty close to the target, didn't lose too many short or left/right.

Previous 6i Data quoted above ???

Compared PWs across all four sets last night.

Wilson Launch Pad Irons:

These have the KBS Tour 80 Stiff Flex Shafts

Bridgestone J15 DPF:

:TrueTemper: Elevate Tour S300

Cobra F9 Irons:

:NipponShaft: Modus Tour 105 Shafts in Stiff Flex.

Cleveland HB Launcher Turbos:

:TrueTemper: AMT Red R300

BALL: Bridgestone Tour B RX 2020

In terms of performance - from a number perspective as well as Dispersion and Trajectory, I the F9s performed the best, highest launch and pretty tight dispersion. However, we had a dispersion charge from the Turbos, they had the tightest dispersion of all four PWs. The J15s had the lowest launch and dispersion was pretty loose. Take that set out and the other ones would be recommended gamers, based on data.

PWs Trackman Dispersion 1.26.20.GIF

PWs Trackman Trajectory 1.26.20.GIF

Dark Blue is the Launch Pad Color for all of the data.

Wilson Launch Pads - these were a solid performer yesterday.

Highest spinning PW of the sets, 500 rpm more than both the Turbo and F9 (J5 1,200 more than J15)

Had the 3rd fastest club speed, however ball speed was the slowest.

Later dispersion was a little loose, however distance was pretty tight.

I had one shot, my notes are bit off with shot number, that was really toey, but still solid distance and accuracy one of the two close to the center line as I did not hit my draw.

I've put these in play on the course and had favorable results so nothing that is a red flag, however the other sets may be better for me.

Launch Pad PW Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

Brown is the Turbo Color for all of the data.

HB Launcher Turbos - not going to win the longest based on my testing, however coming in second in distance, but tightest dispersion says so much.

2nd highest spinning PW of the sets, still 500 rpm less than LPs, but nipped the F9s by a hair.

2nd fastest club speed, with 2nd fastest balls speed

Dispersion was SOOOO Tight, even on the mishit, that was one of the lowest launching shots I hit on the day. didn't give up much in terms of distance either.

I've put these in play on the course and had favorable results so nothing that is a red flag, however the other sets may be better for me.

I still am wondering if these can be optimized for my game with a different shaft that is stiffer and launches higher. On course, my miss is exaggerated left, but when the swing is tight these are DARTs.

Turbo PW Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

The J15s are my babies, tried and true and lots of great golf played with these - disperion was the worst of all irons, lost a few left, distance dispersion is okay. From a launch standpoint, the lowest if not one of the lower ones.

J15 PW Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

Light Blue is the F9 Color for all of the data.

F9 King Irons - Not in the hybrid iron class, based on the data could be the overall winner.

3rd highest spinning PW of the sets, still 500 rpm less than LPs, 30 rpms slower than Turbos

Fastest in Ball Speed and Club Speed, Longest carry distance as well.

Dispersion was excellent, just behind Turbos, hit one too flush lol.

I gamed these for most of last year and the few times the swing was ON - these were outstanding, I posted fantastic scores and the ball did everything that was asked. However I battled a lot of discomfort with them for some reason which is disappointing. I do like them and would like to give them a go with a different shaft.

F9 PW Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

The Cleveland Turbos continue to show why they are the leader in this space of hybrid irons. Accuracy and dispersion is practically unmatched. Launch is something that can be improved on, however based on my thoughts, would like to try a different shaft.

Back