Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons

I have been thinking of getting a 5 iron in one of these as well. It looks like it is a winner for you.

it really is. Kicking myself fo not doing this a long time ago

Have folks kept these in the bag?

I hit the previous version at PGASS and really liked them. For whatever reason I am able to pound hybrids, but am prone to disastrous mishits with irons.

I didn't buy the original HBs because of watching money fairly tightly and wasn't sure if I can truly handle the appearance. The steel shaft version of the HBs appears to be completely sold out everywhere so the Turbo or used HBs/Altitudes would appear to be the options now if going this direction.

Dave

Have folks kept these in the bag?

I hit the previous version at PGASS and really liked them. For whatever reason I am able to pound hybrids, but am prone to disastrous mishits with irons.

I didn't buy the original HBs because of watching money fairly tightly and wasn't sure if I can truly handle the appearance. The steel shaft version of the HBs appears to be completely sold out everywhere so the Turbo or used HBs/Altitudes would appear to be the options now if going this direction.

Dave

I kept the Altitudes in the bag firup until this season. Tested both the HB’s and Turbos and really found no material differences in performance.

after liking what I saw from the Cobra T-Rails at the demo place I bought a 6i with my preferred Modus 105 shaft. It played very nicely on the course so now I’m playing the 6-SW set. Really digging them

Bought the 5 iron and weakened it 1 degree and put a I95 stiff steel fiber in and fit into my set. Wow. This thing launches as advertised. It is definitely a 5 hybrid and goes about 185-190 For me. I actually started laughing when I hit it because of how high and easy it was to hit. Moon shots galore. I hardly ever used my five iron, but I am going to find reasons to hit this thing.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
I was wondering whether anyone has compared these with “normal” hybrids such as the TM Sim Max, which are still rather different (being longer and just a different “style” of club).

How do the 4 and 5 HB Turbo hold up against a 4 and 5 hybrid in terms of carry and playability?

I was wondering whether anyone has compared these with “normal” hybrids such as the TM Sim Max, which are still rather different (being longer and just a different “style” of club).

How do the 4 and 5 HB Turbo hold up against a 4 and 5 hybrid in terms of carry and playability?
It flys just like a hybrid. My 4 hybrid carries about 200 yards so the 5 launcher carrying at 185 is right on point. I weakened mine a degree to 24*. I would imagine a 4 Launcher is 20*.

I have the previous model 5I back in my bag after over a year absence and I would not hesitate to play a full set of these.

It flys just like a hybrid. My 4 hybrid carries about 200 yards so the 5 launcher carrying at 185 is right on point. I weakened mine a degree to 24*. I would imagine a 4 Launcher is 20*.

Thanks. I have to try that.

May I ask how fast your swing speed is? I would have thought the shorter shafts bring different results.

Thanks. I have to try that.

May I ask how fast your swing speed is? I would have thought the shorter shafts bring different results.
Driver ss is 102-105.

Driver ss is 102-105.

Thanks. Looking at the lofts of the lower HB Turbos, I think a slower swing speed may still be better served with "classic" hybrids? (Which then makes me wonder again, whether I should try a 24° 9-wood instead of the 4-hybrid...)

#HB TurboSim Max Rescue
420°22°
523°25°
626.5°28°

Last edited:
Thanks. Looking at the lofts of the lower HB Turbos, I think a slower swing speed may still be better served with "classic" hybrids? (Which then makes me wonder again, whether I should try a 24° 9-wood instead of the 4-hybrid...)

#HB TurboSim Max Rescue
420°22°
523°25°
626.5°28°
Loft is only one aspect to distance

For almost as long as companies have sold "hybrid" or "rescue" clubs it's been hard to find steel-shafted ones that aren't heavy, stiff driving-iron type clubs for big hitters.

Even if you don't want an all-hybrid set like the HB Turbo, it's nice to see someone making easy to hit 4, 5, 6 hybrids with lightweight steel shafts. I've been thinking one could do a lot worse than the 4-5-6 HB Turbo as the top end of a mixed set with more "player-ish" short irons with similar 95g-class steel shafts.

Way back when Taylormade was putting rails on the bottom of their "rescue" clubs I found a high lofted one with a Dynamic Gold shaft in a bargain barrel at Edwin Watts. That's a mighty heavy shaft but with all that loft it was a great trouble club, although I was a near-beginner then and could only hit the darned thing 150 or so yards. I've always been fond of steel shafts in hybrids ever since.

#HB TurboSim Max Rescue
420°22°
523°25°
626.5°28°

Shaft length is going to be much longer on the traditional hybrids. Also if you are playing steel iron shafts the weight on the hybrid will be much lighter. Both will add distance.

When I gamed the Altitudes (same 6i loft as the Turbos-26*) I also played a 26* hybrid at -1* and the hybrid still was a club longer.

Loft is only one aspect to distance
That’s exactly my point. A “classic” hybrid with a longer shaft may have the same distance, but may still be easier to get airborne thanks to a higher loft = easier for a beginner?!

That’s exactly my point. A “classic” hybrid with a longer shaft may have the same distance, but may still be easier to get airborne thanks to a higher loft = easier for a beginner?!
I haven’t played any hybrid that is as easy to launch as this. I love hybrids and I have hit a bunch. I have never owned a 5 hybrid but I cant believe it would be easier to launch than this. Maybe that’s just my experience but I highly doubt it.

I just ordered a steel shafted 6i hybrid to give a chance to make it into the bag.

I kinda miss these, they were definitely fun

Shaft length is going to be much longer on the traditional hybrids. Also if you are playing steel iron shafts the weight on the hybrid will be much lighter. Both will add distance.

When I gamed the Altitudes (same 6i loft as the Turbos-26*) I also played a 26* hybrid at -1* and the hybrid still was a club longer.

If you build a traditional hybrid to standard steel iron length, in addition to being light, they will also play very flat -- not good if you already hit it left to right.

Dave

I've compared a 19-degree 816h1 hybrid (shorter than standard at 40") to a 20-degree steel shafted HB Turbo 4-iron (standard just under 39" length) and I'd say the HB Turbo flies slightly higher and it was a good solid 10 yards shorter (about 170-175 vs. 180-185).

That said, it was much much easier to make solid contact and to the hit the ball straight with the HB Turbo. It all depends on whether you can hit the longer, lighter graphite shafted hybrid consistently enough to make the 10 extra yards worth it.

There are golfers whose swing really struggles to make solid contact as clubs get lighter and longer and there are others who gain distance and elevation from longer, lighter clubs. I think those two types of golfers would make different choices when it comes to the 4 and 5 HB Turbo compare to conventional 4h and 5h alternatives.

I hit this club a bunch today. I hit the crap out of it from the tee and fairway. Tempted to buy a 4.

I just ordered the 4. I am taking my 4 hybrid out and sticking this in. The 5 has quickly become my favorite long club since I put it in. I don’t think I will ever replace my upper irons, but this has opened up a new level of confidence at the moment.

I love my Launcher HBs, hit the crap out of the 4 and 5. I hit my Launcher 3 hybrid well but wish the would make an HB 3 iron. Would definitely buy it and most likely replace the hybrid with it. I have the 5 hybrid as well but don't carry it anymore, just seems like the irons launch with a little more control.

Back