Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons

Thanks for the review Canadan. Looked for it before, don't know why I never ran across it until now. I am VERY interested in these. I just love the shape and performance of hybrid clubs, and no longer game an iron longer than a 6. My first hybrid was a Cleveland Hi-Bore 2 to replace my 2 iron. As the performance of the 3, and then, 4 iron began to suffer (I'm now 68) my buddy's Son announced that he wanted to dump his 3,4, and 5 Taylor Made Burner Rescues, a hybrid type of design, since he just couldn't hit them! We were going out to play, so I told them to bring them along, I would use them that round, and make up my mind.

I hit those so much better than my irons it wasn't even funny! I almost got a HIO on a 180 yard par 3 with the 5 Rescue. When we finished I asked how much he wanted for them. He said 70 bucks and I said SOLD! Wrote him a check on the spot! Next time I'm near one of the golf stores, I'll have a look around. Again, thanks for the review.

I think I’m going to order a single club as an experiment against my cobras. For those of you who have hit these or bought them, did you go with the standard set up with the counter balanced grip or the shorter accuracy set? Steel or graphite?

I got stock length as it is 1/4" longer than typical which is what I use anyway. Graphite, stiff shaft mostly to get as much weight as possible. I seem to time it ok. I have CB shafts in my woods and hybrids at this point so I figured I'd stay the course...

I got stock length as it is 1/4" longer than typical which is what I use anyway. Graphite, stiff shaft mostly to get as much weight as possible. I seem to time it ok. I have CB shafts in my woods and hybrids at this point so I figured I'd stay the course...

I think I’m going to just order the regular CB one. Now just need to decide which club? Probably the 7 iron since I’m comparing against my one-length Speedzones.

The 8i and DW just showed up to go along with the 9i and PW. Took them to the range and I have to say, these clubs just work. They are *not* a "distance" club. But they are incredibly consistent and you don't get nearly as penalized when off the sweet spot. Can hit them quite high or flight them down. I don't think I'll add the SW as I hit my Eye2s well for SW and LW. May get the 7i, but I already have hybrids covering that. I did compare the 8i to the G425 7H and they are about the same distance (also about the same loft), but I can get a bit more height out of the 7H. Need to do more experimenting but so far these are winning a place in the bag. If I hadn't already bought the G425 hybrids, I certainly would add more of these irons and/or some of the new Halo hybrids. Good stuff...

Does anyone know the individual club head weights on these? Can’t seem to find them online anywhere.

Does anyone know the individual club head weights on these? Can’t seem to find them online anywhere.
That’s not usually something that is put out there for most irons.

That’s not usually something that is put out there for most irons.

Yeah I didn’t think so. Any info out there on total club weights? Be easy enough to calculate. I’m a garage club builder so I’m curious.

I had a set being sent to me last month from Global Golf under the U-try demo program they have. FedEx lost them. Or GG put them on the USPS pallet. They arent sure. But I never got them. And of course now they do not have them in stock and are off the U-try program. Grrrrrrr. I have the XL Halo FW 3 and 5 and really like them.

Yeah I didn’t think so. Any info out there on total club weights? Be easy enough to calculate. I’m a garage club builder so I’m curious.

I had a set being sent to me last month from Global Golf under the U-try demo program they have. FedEx lost them. Or GG put them on the USPS pallet. They arent sure. But I never got them. And of course now they do not have them in stock and are off the U-try program. Grrrrrrr. I have the XL Halo FW 3 and 5 and really like them.

I have 8-DW, Cypher S, stock other than +3 wraps. You want a full club weight of any of them?

I have 8-DW, Cypher S, stock other than +3 wraps. You want a full club weight of any of them?

8,9 would be great. Thanks!!!

Sorry about shipping troubles but I love U Try, what a great idea. Tried a set of ZX5s from them while on vacation, what an improvement on the course vs on a mat. I found the Srixons are fantastic in the rough. Who knows, the clubs might show up one day at your doorstep.

When I get back from the THP Event this week, I can pop a head and weigh, but there will be differences throughout the set

Sorry about shipping troubles but I love U Try, what a great idea. Tried a set of ZX5s from them while on vacation, what an improvement on the course vs on a mat. I found the Srixons are fantastic in the rough. Who knows, the clubs might show up one day at your doorstep.

I love the U Try as well. I’m not upset with Global. That sort of thing happens. I demoed 4 different Drivers before keeping my Cobra Radspeed XB. Also ended up keeping the Odyssey OG White Hot 7 after I demoed it. Love that putter. The ability to use clubs on an actual course for 2 weeks then decide is very nice. It’s a shame about the Clevelands. They refunded my money of course and were very nice about it. Unfortunately they had no more sets on hand to send me a replacement. Still dont! 😩

When I get back from the THP Event this week, I can pop a head and weigh, but there will be differences throughout the set

Thanks JB. I appreciate it!

Is anyone playing the 4-iron? Thoughts?

They’re having a demo day Tuesday that I’m going to attend. If anyone has any questions about these they haven’t seen answered, let me know.

Reactions: JB
Had a fun day today. Before heading over to the Cleveland Demo Day, I stopped at the new PGASS close by there. I had been wanting to try out the new Super Hybrid and see if it could fill a gap in my bag.

Jury is still out on whether I like it or not. I was hitting it around 215-225 when struck well but I just wasn't consistent with my swing today. After hitting it for a bit, their head fitter went and got me a stiff version instead. I have always hit regular flex, but he felt I'd be better served with a stiff in this (or other normal length hybrids). It definitely helped me straighten out the hooks I was seeing. More on this later.

I headed over to the demo day next. I was the only person there so I got great 1-on-1 time with the rep for almost 1.5 hours. Unfortunately, all they had to demo for the Halo XL's was the 7 iron (I guess this is pretty normal for demo days? I had never attended one before).

I warmed up with my Cobras for a bit and then gave the Halo some time. First 4-6 were swings were absolutely drilled. I had never hit any hybrid irons before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. But I am in love with the sound; it’s much better in person compared to hearing on video. Feedback was also a surprise, as I had read many people complain about that with these types of clubs. Even when I strike my Cobras well, and they do travel a little farther than the Halo, I rarely got the feeling of satisfaction with them like I did with this Halo.

I figured he gave me the R counterbalanced normal shaft first but it was actually the accuracy version (.5” short, no counterbalance). I spent the next hour or so trying out different flex/lie combos with both shaft types. The accuracy version is definitely for me (thank you, T-Rex arms and genetics for being short) but I’m still not sure on shaft flex. They did not have the accuracy version with the stiff shaft, only the R, so I had to gauge the flex when comparing the normal counterbalance ones instead. As such I’m really torn on what I should order .

Which leads me back to my earlier conversation/time with the PGASS fitter. Sure wish I could have tried the 4/PW Halos as well.

Would I be crazy to order the 4 iron in stiff, if I ended up with the rest of the set in R? For those of you that are right in-between flex speeds, what do you usually do?

(I didn’t pull out my MLM until after hitting for a bit. I’d bet I hit my first few over 160 before I started getting tired)

View attachment IMG_4486.mp4

Headed to the range today and sadly it was closed but the pitching green area was open. I had my D wedge with me so I first hit some 75 or so yard shots with that and just for grins my ZX7 AW. I agree that the sound of the XL Halo isn't bad and you do get feedback on contact. Just not as much penalty. Then I hit back the other direction but extended to about 100 yards hitting from fluffy grass. Hit a dozen balls with the DW. They all landed within about a 20' circle (was aiming for my bag).

Ordered the 7i today, will probably play 7-DW, then a few G425 hybrids below the 7. If I hadn't already bought the G425s I certainly would get the XL Halo mid and longer irons or the Halo hybrids. They just seem to work...

Headed to the range today and sadly it was closed but the pitching green area was open. I had my D wedge with me so I first hit some 75 or so yard shots with that and just for grins my ZX7 AW. I agree that the sound of the XL Halo isn't bad and you do get feedback on contact. Just not as much penalty. Then I hit back the other direction but extended to about 100 yards hitting from fluffy grass. Hit a dozen balls with the DW. They all landed within about a 20' circle (was aiming for my bag).

Ordered the 7i today, will probably play 7-DW, then a few G425 hybrids below the 7. If I hadn't already bought the G425s I certainly would get the XL Halo mid and longer irons or the Halo hybrids. They just seem to work...

Where have you been ordering individual irons from?

Would I be crazy to order the 4 iron in stiff, if I ended up with the rest of the set in R? For those of you that are right in-between flex speeds, what do you usually do?

Not necessarily. People swing long irons differently than scoring clubs. With that said, you will want to try all, because in my opinion they play a tiny bit light to flex, and you may end up the same throughout.

Not necessarily. People swing long irons differently than scoring clubs. With that said, you will want to try all, because in my opinion they play a tiny bit light to flex, and you may end up the same throughout.

That’s interesting that you think that. Can you elaborate of what you’ve seen/felt that led you to think they play light to flex?

Unfortunately, I don’t know where I’d get to try them all. Seems like stores are only getting the regular counterbalanced set, and I really like the accuracy build feel. If I decide to take the plunge, I may need to buy from somewhere with a playability guarantee.

Where have you been ordering individual irons from?

Carls. Have been ordering over the weekend or on Monday, club shows up on/by Friday (I'm one day ground shipping away from Cleveland).

Back