Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Were they part of the Mashie iron set? Those have a different shaft. Unless it was a DST or something.

No, they were stand alone. They were on the Cleveland Golf rack, right next to FL Woods and some drivers. The shaft itself just said "Cleveland Mashie". I was pretty taken aback. First I'd heard of the stock being anything but the Miyazaki...

Were they part of the Mashie iron set? Those have a different shaft. Unless it was a DST or something.

I saw these also and they were stand alone -- Looked like it could be a newer model but said "Mashie" real big on the shaft......thought it was strange for sure!

Wonder if it was something cleveland did with dicks?

I saw these also and they were stand alone -- Looked like it could be a newer model but said "Mashie" real big on the shaft......thought it was strange for sure!

Yes, those are the ones. And I'm not sure its a Dick's collaboration with Cleveland. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on this purchase via amazon, but they have a "graphite" shaft as the shaft option listed. I've contacted customer care to ascertain if its the Miyazaki, otherwise I'll have to hold off for now

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

I saw the clubs you are talking about tonight at Dicks. If they were Miyazakis I think they would be marked as such. Personally, I'd pony up for the 2012 version.

I saw the clubs you are talking about tonight at Dicks. If they were Miyazakis I think they would be marked as such. Personally, I'd pony up for the 2012 version.

I would too if I had the means, but I'm operating within a budget that ensures that I can only spring for yesteryear's clubs...

And I'm sure the 2012 Mashie is the better club, but for me, anything more recent than my old 20.5* Cleveland launcher would be an upgrade. In fact, I'd ideally actually love a launcher DST of the same loft! That's what I had my eye on, but its about the same price as the original Mashie, which led me to this thread

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

^^ The 2011 Mashies and the 2012 Mashie+ are both on sale for 99.99 unless your buying used.

In regards to the "Mashie Original" shafts - I called cleveland to get some verification on this - these are in fact part of the iron set. Dick's just is selling them as stand alones apparently.

---

Additionally I thought I would note (and this may already be stated somewhere in the 300 pages) - but with the reduced shaft weight and increased swing speeds - it may be beneficial to look into stepping up shaft stiffness. For example, my swing speed puts me just barely into the stiff flex threshhold. I choose to game regular flex as I get worn out as I play and my swing speed after a few holes (or extended warm up on the range) often drops slightly below the threshold and back into a R flex.

If you are in a situation similar to mine - I highly suggest taking the higher flex - I gamed both a R and S - I hit the stiff flex consistently straight, while occasionally hooking the R flex. I ended up going with S flex in these and have not had any issues with going to the right. I think the lighter shaft keeps my swing speed in the S flex range in this specific club.

I prefer the Kua 59 in stiff as well, Cap. I've still yet to hook one this year with the Mashies.

I prefer the Kua 59 in stiff as well, Cap. I've still yet to hook one this year with the Mashies.

I have not hooked the S flex 2012 Mashie yet either. It really is an amazingly versatile and confidence inspiring club (which has been a long journey - for me at least - to find a hybrid I can say that about).

When I played the R flex 2012 though I did have a few issues with hooks - but I truly feel it has to do with the comments I made above.

Just have to make sure to get the flex right due to the faster swing speeds and you wont have any problems in my opinion.

I still think going with the M5 over my 5 iron was the smartest damn thing I did this year.

As a follow up to my earlier posts, I went ahead and purchased the original Mashie M3 in stiff flex, last week. I've been out a few times, and I'm really enjoying hitting it! It's longer than my old Launcher 2009, and has the same slight high draw to it. The only complaint I have is that the pom pom thingy on the head cover fell off on the 2nd outing, which really rustled my jimmies. I don't even know if its possible to fix it! Ugh. So not a fan of the new head cover. Much prefer the 09 and DST ones.

Mashie 7 wood has still been money from the deck

Trying to get the m3 back on track off the tee

I'm gaming last year's M4 but it truly is a love-hate relationship. A smooth, I'd say underpowered, swing and it is a high, soft, straight 180-185 carry. But if I try to get more distance and swing a wee but harder it transforms into a pretty wild hook. It is hard to hit consistent knock downs and punch shots so I often carry a 4 iron in the bag as well. I'm committed to working wth it but I wonder if I should have picked up the 83g vs 59g shaft version.

What's the difference between the mashie and the tour version?

What's the difference between the mashie and the tour version?

As I understand it, the regular Mashie had a slightly closed face which gives the draw bias. For many people, these were hook machines. The tour version is slightly more open/neutral at address and it solved many of the hooking issues that people had with the regular version.

As I understand it, the regular Mashie had a slightly closed face which gives the draw bias. For many people, these were hook machines. The tour version is slightly more open/neutral at address and it solved many of the hooking issues that people had with the regular version.

More than anything it was offset. The tour has/had MUCH less offset than the regular version.

I'm one of those freaks that too much offset just screws with my head. It shouldn't, but it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the tour Mashie and have not had any issues with hooking at all.

Hmm, so maybe I would want the regular mashie since I tend to slice if anything?

Is there a difference in offset between last years mashie and the latest one in terms of offset?

I have no measurements, but it appears so. Pretty tough to slice the old ones, but it can still happen.

Well gentlemen, I am now part of the Mashie team.

Bought the M3 and so far it's a lot easier to hit than my Speedline 3 wood. It's also easier to hit out of the rough. I could hit the Speedline off a tee but hitting off the deck was a nightmare. I avoided that club as much as possible because I rarely had positive results. Now I now have a lot more faith in my 3 wood than I did before.

Got it Thursday, played Saturday and Sunday and I immediately took the old Speedline out of the bag for good. Couldn't be happier.

I was dissapointed to see that I pull the 2012 mashie hybrids. I returned them. Pondering Adams a12 and RBZ.

Last edited:
I just got a 2011 Mashie M3 and had my first range session with it today. I think I'm going to love this club. Off the tee, I was hitting a high draw, a little too high, but still really solid. Off the deck, though, WOW. As long as I remember to make a nice easy swing as I do with my mid/long irons (going at it produces the snap hook like some others have struggled with), the ball just takes off. I was hitting them straight or with a slight draw, great ball flight (even slightly thin shots get up pretty good), wonderful turf interaction, strong distance. For the first time, I have a hybrid I feel comfortable with off the deck. Really great club, so here's hoping it's not just a honeymoon thing for me...

I picked a 4 Mashie the other day, I believe it is 23* I went looking at different clubs but ended up with one of these for $99. I like it so far, I hit it well inside and on the range, have to blame the mental game for how I hit it on the course.

I played my first round today with the Mashie in my bag. I only used it 3 times, by my goodness am I impressed. The first was a low punch shot to get under some trees. No problem. Then 2 others were just lay-ups on par 5s. The first I caught REALLY thin, so it didn't get up in the air, but still got up enough to travel about 185 or so down the fairway. The second I caught perfectly and it went about 210 with a nice high soft draw. I've never been successful hitting hybrids off the deck, but this thing is easy. Great, great club.

Back