Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

spot on!!! incredible value for a club that just delivers.

yep, the only thing they have in common are rails. mashie ftw!

Dont have to convince me to love the Mashie. Just as I said earlier you had a much better range session with the Mashie once you actually spent some time getting used to a hybrid again. Look forward to seeing what that equals on the course today.

Thank you! I'm going to try and do more of that with the simulator. I love seeing it put down in numbers.
Great thoughts Yoccos. Keep it coming.

If you were to improve upon something with the Mashie, what would it be Yoccos?

Great report Yoccos!!! I found similar results when I tested the Mashie against the TM Hybrid with results I got on a simulator. The Mashie is definately a hit!! I am waiting for courses to dry out here and will get back at it!!

I'm looking to either replace the shaft in my nike hybrid or pick up a new hybrid all together. Its pretty clear that the miyazaki shaft is a huge success in the Mashie, but I'm wondering how it performs in other clubs.

My question is; is it the miyazaki shaft that makes the Mashie such an awesome club for you guys, or is it the entire club?

I'm looking to either replace the shaft in my nike hybrid or pick up a new hybrid all together. Its pretty clear that the miyazaki shaft is a huge success in the Mashie, but I'm wondering how it performs in other clubs.

My question is; is it the miyazaki shaft that makes the Mashie such an awesome club for you guys, or is it the entire club?

You can read my report earlier in this thread. I have the Miyazaki in the previous hybrid from Cleveland (I also have it in a Burner Rescue). To me its the overall club that makes it a hit, however I think the shaft is a very large part of it.

That's a tough one. As far as performance I can't really say I would do anything. Distance, ball flight and feel/sound are fantastic. I'm sure with the custom shaft options people can tweak the ball flight to what they want too.

But for looks, I love the dark finish of the BP's. This may not be realistic and I'm not sure if it could be done but I'd love to see that dark finish on the Mashie. I really like it as is, I just think it would be cool to see.

If you were to improve upon something with the Mashie, what would it be Yoccos?

For me, the head shape of the Mashie is a big factor as well. It cuts through rough very well, but is still very playable off the fairway and the tee. Also, it sets up like an iron, which is a plus for me.

I agree with you on this one 100%.

You can read my report earlier in this thread. I have the Miyazaki in the previous hybrid from Cleveland (I also have it in a Burner Rescue). To me its the overall club that makes it a hit, however I think the shaft is a very large part of it.

Definitely the shaft is a big part but the overall club is a winner. The feel on contact and how easy it is to hit out of many different lies really give the Mashie a ton of versatility.

Thanks man! Hopefully you can get out there and get some time in.

Great report Yoccos!!! I found similar results when I tested the Mashie against the TM Hybrid with results I got on a simulator. The Mashie is definately a hit!! I am waiting for courses to dry out here and will get back at it!!

This is the 1st time I have checked in on this thread in a few days and I just read through 5 pages. Great reviews and also great questions from the others. I have not been thinking of replacing my hybrids, but this thread is making me think. :thinking:

I just got back from some quality range time. I have to admit that I was not hitting it well at all today. I warmed up with my wedges as usual and moved up through my bag until I arrived at the Mashie. It was just one of those days where my ball striking was not clicking. I was, however, pleased with the Mashie. This was honestly the only club I hit on the range today that I felt like I could take straight to the course and be satisfied. It's great to know that even when I'm not striking it well, I can fall back on the Mashie and swing with confidence.

As for the some previous comments regarding the head, shaft or combo that makes this such a sweet hybrid, I agree that the combo is great, but I personally think the shaft goes a long way in making this such a great club.

Thats awesome to hear (the confidence in the club, sucks about the bad range day).

I just got back from some quality range time. I have to admit that I was not hitting it well at all today. I warmed up with my wedges as usual and moved up through my bag until I arrived at the Mashie. It was just one of those days where my ball striking was not clicking. I was, however, pleased with the Mashie. This was honestly the only club I hit on the range today that I felt like I could take straight to the course and be satisfied. It's great to know that even when I'm not striking it well, I can fall back on the Mashie and swing with confidence.

As for the some previous comments regarding the head, shaft or combo that makes this such a sweet hybrid, I agree that the combo is great, but I personally think the shaft goes a long way in making this such a great club.

Thanks Yoccos. It was not a great day, but my results with the Mashie were encouraging. It's nice to know that I have a club in my bag that I can go to even when everything else seems to be falling apart. This is a game of confidence after all!

I've tried hard not to be a skimmer here but this thread contains a lot of info. So please excuse if this question has already been answered.

Has anyone hit the Mashie out of a fairway bunker yet? If so how did it work out?

it was 38*, dad and i were the only ones on the golf course, there wasn't a hint of a breeze, and the Mashie straight up delivered for me today. we played at the golf course that i frequent the most around here for a couple of reasons. one, i know it well, so i know what i typically like to hit off of certain tee boxes and two, because it is littered with dog leg par 4's, true 3 shot par 5's, both of which usually allow me to tee off with my long irons a lot. it's just not a golf course that makes you hit driver off the tee a lot, although you can if you so choose. 3 of the 4 par 5's are designed so that only a fool tee's off with a driver. too many hazards come into play so it's best to play off the tee short of the hazards and trust your wedge game to get you birdies.

at any rate i hit the Mashie a lot today and was fortunate to be in the situation where i could hit it off the tee a total of 7 times. i only missed one fairway with it today and even then, i was in the first cut off rough to the right of the fairway. what i found today is something that i believe i've been looking for in this club, and that's TRUST. initially, i think i was swinging it with high hopes, serious expectations and some fear. i was worried that it might not work for me, or that it was too light for me, or that it may flight the ball too high for me. in the end, i was doing nothing but handicapping this particular golf club. it's literally becoming my go-to golf club. i know it may seem to early for this but this golf club just gets it done. i had my onpar and i wrote down the lengths of my tee shots with it today and they are as follows:

224 yards
219 yards
222 yards
214 yards
226 yards
216 yards
229 yards

for an average of: 221 yards off the tee. i honestly couldn't be happier with these results. i would almost be inclined to say that the bulk of that distance is in the air as well. i can't even begin to explain how awesome the natural flight of the ball is off of the Mashie. my comfort level is ever increasing and i find myself almost looking for an excuse to use it in play.

i made a conscious effort to really try to comprehend the feedback i was getting from the shaft and the one word that keeps coming back to be is reliable. i know i'm not going to lose the ball to my left and i know that this shaft is very, very capable. it's definitely stout enough for my swing.

i also had the opportunity to get some shots in out of the fairway and out of the rough. from the fairway, it's simply bomber! the one thing that dad and i were talking about is how i just don't seem to mishit it, ie, no thin shots or no fat shots, just good clean contact. this certainly wasn't the case with my irons today so i know it wasn't just me being in a good swing groove. i find that the weighting of the head and the reliability of the shaft just beg for good, clean contact. more often than not the ball started out on my target line and held it's head on that line.

out of the rough it was spectacular. i'm not one who typically hit hybrids or fairway woods out of the thick stuff but i did three times today, and all three times i made what i consider good contact and the results were ones that i would gladly live with. i didn't change anything with my swing for this shot, i just moved the ball back in my stance a little bit and just trusted what i had in my hands.

as of right now, i'm ecstatic with the Mashie. i'm fully understanding and experiencing how using this club is "like cheating". i can't reiterate how much good stuff is going on in this golf club. the retro finish and weighting of the head are right up my alley. the shaft is outstanding and one that i am finding to be reliable and predictible. as of right now, the 3 iron and 4 iron are coming out of the bag! that's right, i said it! call it catching the Mashie fever or drinking the kool-aid or whatever you will, but trust me, when you can, please demo this golf club.

TC those are fantastic results!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really happy you've found the "it" factor. Phenominal man.

Great info TC. I have to agree with one particular comment in your findings, which is something I also am starting to discover. I just plain trust and have confidence in this club.

i would agree 100% man. i felt kind of the same way with my round today. i was pushing almost every thing off my irons today, but not the Mashie. it was almost automatic. i was trying to leave myself in situations where i could hit it and only it.

I've tried hard not to be a skimmer here but this thread contains a lot of info. So please excuse if this question has already been answered.

Has anyone hit the Mashie out of a fairway bunker yet? If so how did it work out?

Thats a good question and I dont remember anyone doing that yet.

FLTC, awesome results today. I see some great consistency with the Mashie starting to develop.

Thats a good question and I dont remember anyone doing that yet.

FLTC, awesome results today. I see some great consistency with the Mashie starting to develop.

i believe that white rhino had a mention of hitting one out of a fairway bunker. i have not yet myself, i've been lucky enough to avoid them.

thanks OEM. i'm starting to understand all that goodness that you spoke of for months.

Great write up TC, glad to hear its performing so well for, but its taking out not only the 3 but the 4 too??? THats crazy because I know how much you love the 2.0 3/4 irons. I can't wait to hit this club either as part of the demo day, or stealing it out of TC's bag and running down the range.

Great write up TC, glad to hear its performing so well for, but its taking out not only the 3 but the 4 too??? THats crazy because I know how much you love the 2.0 3/4 irons. I can't wait to hit this club either as part of the demo day, or stealing it out of TC's bag and running down the range.

yeah, it will more than likely replace both at this point. the Mashie M3 just sits right between them and so far, it's long, it's straight, it flies high and it's giving me great results. there's just no reason to keep the 3/4 iron with it in the bag.

and i have no problem with letting you have some time with it on the range at the outing. let's just hope that there are more there for us to try, as i'd love to give the 18* a test drive.

Nice review TC. Your hitting that little dude as far as I hit my driver, lol. I'm getting excited to try this thing for myself.

Back