Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Rob which one are you using? Mashie or Mashie+

Rob which one are you using? Mashie or Mashie+

It's just the regular Mashie. They have them on TGW for about $70 and I ordered it when they were running the 15% off deal, so it was really a steal, IMO. I actually have not even swung a Mashie plus. Is there a big difference between the two versions? Once I figure out which driver I want to use (and hence get down to 1 in my bag...), I may consider adding another Mashie hybrid.

The sole is a little different, and you're right that's a great price man.

Just picked up one used. Loved it in the hitting bay. And, a huge shout out to Golf Smith! It was in the used section, marked dow to 107.99 from the 149.99. I did not even think to check their new section for the new clearance price. So i just called and they are issuing a gift card refund of the difference. I wish they would have caught this at check out, but I give them credit for how they handled it..

The club looks barely hit and fit my swing better than most others, right up there with the T 910...

Cant wait to put in play tomorrow...

I bought an original Mashie 3 hybrid with the Miyazaki shaft yesterday. I thought I was buying the Mashie plus at the time but only realised when I got home and checked pictures it was the original Mashie, however I think it has worked in my favour as a beginner golfer!

I hit some at the range with both the 3 hybrid and the 4 hybrid, along with the Adams a12os and Callaway Diablo before deciding to go with the Mashie. Both the 3 and 4 were very easy to hit, so I went with the 3. I found them much easier to hit than the Adams and Callaway both from the tee at the range and the mat at the range. I found them more forgiving than the other clubs I tested on my frequent mishits!

i went out and played 18 with it today. I don't have a driver yet and normally borrow a friends spare driver to play with but he didn't have it today so I actually ended up using my new 3 hybrid for pretty much most of the tee shots over 180 yards. I must stress I am a beginner, so my shots are not normally the most consistent and at the moment my worst shots are with long and mid irons, I try to swing slowly and get the shape of my swing right so that the ball goes straight even if it doesn't necessarily go as far as if I was swinging 100%. (I figure if I get the shape of my swing sorted and my shots going straight I will be able to build up the power as I get more confident and capable with my swing). Anyway, my drives and fairway woods more often than not are slices and fades with the odd straight shot thrown in. My lowest iron which is a 5 is probably my most inconsistent shot, sometimes I catch it right with a more powerful swing and it'll go about 160-170.

So getting to today's game, I got on really really well with the Mashie. I was hitting it consistently straight, landing in the fairway consistently and generally between 170-200 yards. I played it from the fairways and generally loved it, I topped the ball a couple of times (which isn't abnormal for me, and definitely not the clubs fault!), but even from the fairways where I find it more difficult than off the tee I was loving it. Hitting some consistently long and straight shots. It seemed to give a lovely flight that went up into the air and maybe I'm just imagining this but it almost looked like you could see the spin kick in and accelerate the ball, I don't know if that's what you expect but I swear that's what it looked like! Out of the rough it was great too (although I found myself there much less than usual with it!). It has become my favourite club, lets hope it stays there!

A few comments on the club itself, before testing it I didn't think I would like the look of it compared to some of the more flashier colourful hybrids out there, but I actually was surprised by how clean it looked in person. It is simple, yet clean and appealing. I can imagine that some of the better players would have a tendency to hook with it (as has been reported by some reviews) because there is a fairly reasonable offset when looking down at the ball, and I can see how this could be off putting if you don't like that, but for me it definitely seems to work.

All in all I think it is a great club, very forgiving for us beginners out there and to any beginners looking for a forgiving hybrid I would definitely reccomend the original Mashie!

Hi all. This thread made me be familiar with this forum and have been reading this thread and many others to inspire inside my bag purchases. Since I am a lefty there is always shortages of clubs at local stores for me to test. I was unable to test Cleveland Classic Driver and made a purchase based on reviews on here and other forums, and had a chance to hit it yesterday and so far I love it over my Ping with high torque Reg shaft on it. Night and day. Now Mashie Hybrid I was able to hit on the monitor and noticed right away I hit it easier then others and I guess because of the shaft on it, it just felt better then other hybrids I hit. So I ended up buying F5+, M3+ & M4+ with Reg 59R Miyazaki shaft for Christmas. I never was a fan of looks of them, especially the top of the crown. Has anyone pained them white at all?

My favorite clubs as far as looks in hybrids and woods are RBZ, love the white crown and the shape of it as it is larger then Mashies and white make them look bigger at the address and inspires confidence in me. I just started playing 5 months ago and still working on my swing and practice quite a lot, Golf channel became my favorite channel for learning and following people play and try to simulate them on the range. So since I am not very consistent with my clubs and I hit M3 and M4 more or less same distance, I was thinking of maybe trading M4 for RBZ 4 Hybrid and test that one out and maybe even selling M3 as well and just keeping 4 Hybrid in the bag for now and 5W. Any suggestions guys? Anyone compared M3 and M4 to RBZ 4 Hybrid? How are they of the tee and fairway and light rough compared to Mashie? Do these rails really make a difference on the turf or it is more of the Mashies having a good shaft when compared to other Hybrids like RBZ? Mashie 5 Wood is great and I hit it great as well, better then Hybrids, I am digger I guess more then anything. Maybe the head is bigger of the F5 so I have more confidence, not sure, but again if Mashies F5 had a white crown it would be so much more appealing to me. So I am thinking of having Driver, 5W, 4H 6-PW, 52, 56, 60, putter in my bag. I can choke down on 4H and cover 5i as I get better, and 5W and 4H would cover gap between Driver and irons pretty good for me and be easy to hit compared to 3W and 3H.. Any thoughts?

I think you could easily go with either the M3 or M4 rather than both.

As for RBZ comparisons, I only have a couple things that I remember. First, the RBZ felt really head-heavy to me. Second, I didn't hit in nearly as well as the Mashies. That's a personal thing and only based off one range session though. I do think the rails and the keel on the Mashies are game changers. At least for me they are. Great performance from a variety of lies and you have a little more surface area at the bottom if you miss thin.

Thanks Hawk, your reviews on Cleveland clubs inspired me to get my Clevelands! I agree for the money and the quality shafts you get with them, when you buy them used in Fine condition cannot be beat! I agree with what you say, they are very forgiving if only the crown was a bit bigger shape and they were white, so it looks even bigger for confidence inspiration, that would be supper, I just love the shape and white color of the TM stuff, their Drivers, FW and H clubs shapes are my favorite, I know a lot of people do not care for the white crowns, I think they are great! Yes, I think I only need 1 Hybrid and 5 wood between Driver and irons. I bought the Mizuno JPX Fli Hi 5 Hybrid used in like new condition for $20, since I am a lefty and there is always less availability for certain clubs, like 5 hybrid, Mashie does not make one for lefties, so I bought a Mizuno as I did not want to order 5i when I ordered my Ping G20s, as I wanted to get better and possibly buy G20 5i next year and sell this 5H as I think I am not ready to hit 5i as of right now, maybe only of the tee. Mizuno came with S300 shaft as true iron replacement, I ended up buying new pull out TM Rescue 65 R shaft on the bay for $15 and had it re-shafted at GS, so now I have perfect 5H club, it is actually almost identical to G20 5H for 3x less, shape wise! So why not. I love this game and catch myself watching Golf channel the most these days, I never have been following any sports like I do golf now, my wife gets pissed. She tells me she read watch a paint dry, hahaha.. I say whatever woman.. Hahaha

I think you could easily go with either the M3 or M4 rather than both.

As for RBZ comparisons, I only have a couple things that I remember. First, the RBZ felt really head-heavy to me. Second, I didn't hit in nearly as well as the Mashies. That's a personal thing and only based off one range session though. I do think the rails and the keel on the Mashies are game changers. At least for me they are. Great performance from a variety of lies and you have a little more surface area at the bottom if you miss thin.

It's definitely an addicting game! Thanks for the kind words. The Cleveland hybrids and fairways have treated me quite well and I've been able to grow with them in the bag. I thought the JPX Fli Hi hybrids were pretty good too, especially for the price. Sounds like a good club to have in that 5 spot if you're happy with it. i do agree that they have a very 'G series' look to them.

I'm sure there are some other folks that can give you better information on the RBZ than I can. I just never spent much time with it.

Anyone painted their Mashie Hybrids? If so please post some pics. If I am going to keep the Mashies i want paint them white like TM RBZ. thank you all!

I found a thread but those pics are gone!

I guess no one painted mashies on here. Or no pics. I am still thinking of taping them up and bringing to auto paint shop and paint them TM white. I hit rbz tour and reg 4h and 5w and will keep the mashies for now.

What do you guys think. I am thinking the shafts on mashies are a bit light for me. I have ping g20 irons with cfs 100g shafts. Mizuno 65g rip shaft in jpx fli hi 5h. Mashies have 65g c kua shafts in 5w, 3h, and 4h. My driver is 53g c kua in 290 classic. I put 75 regular ust proforce v2 in my ping g15 10.5 driver and I feel it is heavier but my tempo felt more composed, same with mizuno jpx fli hi 5h had 130g s300 steel shaft and I felt I hit it better then now when I put in 65g rip shaft in it to match mashies. Anyone put iron 100g shafts in Mashies on here? I know Nippon makes 100g shafts with similar specs to my g20 irons.

I see guys on tour have s300 or x300 shafts mostly which are 130g and then have 65 or 75 gram driver shafts and then their 3 and 5 woods are heavier than their driver by 10g and their hybrids are then 10g heavier than their 3 or 5 woods. What do you guys think? I am 6'1 200lbs athletic built, pretty strong with aggressive down swing.

Originally I bought that ust proforce v2 75g reg shaft to put in the newly bought classic 290 9 degree driver but now I am not sure if it would be a good fit as v2 is low launching shaft and is perfect in my ping because ping is 10.5 degree head. My max ss is 87 as of right now. But I know I will reach a 100 within 6 months.

I think you are probably better off not worrying so much about shaft weight in all honesty. I think one of the best things that this club has going for it is the shaft, though finding the right flex is important. I wouldn't judge your needs based off what you see Tour players doing either. What they play really has zero relevancy to what you should play.

That said, you could be right as well. There were some people that used the 83g C Kua shaft in the hybrids with success.

I'm very late to this thread, but I would just like to point something out, if it could help anyone. I got my M2 about 6 months ago, and almost gave up on it, until recently. I just couldn't hit the thing. I was hooking it, hitting low line drives, and sometimes some ugly shanks. I have read where others had similar problems.

I finally figured out that I was standing too far from the ball with this club. I don't have a lot of experience with hybrids, and I was setting up with this thing like a driver, (which I probably also stand too far from). I have moved up to a proper distance from the ball, and now I love the club. Nice high trajectory now and hitting it straight and flush with a little divot.

Just a little back to basics aside I thought I would throw out there.

Recently ordered a used M3 mashie in order to get free shipping for a driver I was buying (Cleveland classic). Well, the driver was a little disappointing but the M3, wow! This club easily replaces my 3i, and 7w. Very straight, extremely consistent and exceptionally easy to hit. Flight is nice and penetrating, does not balloon like my 7w and is much much easier to hit than a 3i. Not a single draw for me, but my miss is usually right. Just amazed with this club, wish I would have bought one sooner. Mostly went to the range to try the new driver but I could not stop hitting this thing, from the first shot to the last, all great. Now I'm wanting to hit a mashie fairway or maybe an M4. Also, it was insanely cheap, about 35 in very good used condition. Love finding a deal like that.

Yup, my M2 & M4 won't be coming out of my bag any time soon - I don't even look at other hybrids.

Ted Potter Jr is still using the mashies, and hasn't switched to the classic line yet

I did a little experiment with my Mashie M1 hybrid. I had a steel shaft (traction 85 regular flex from a CG16 4-iron) that I put in my M1 and had it extended to play at 40.5". I did this back in the spring and the experiment was sort of meh, then I tried it on a cold windy day and it was a big hit. The ball flight is much lower and the ball rolls out more than the M1 with the stock graphite shaft. It is heavier in overall weight, but plays to a lower swingweight. I'm not sure how much stiffer the shaft plays to flex as a 4-iron regular flex vs a 1 hybrid and the extra length, but I would assume it is probably playing to a true stiff flex as it does seem stiffer to flex. It is a good club for winter golf.

Back