Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Thank you for the great write up guys, I appreciate the reviews and I am looking forward to hitting the mashie as soon as possible. Keep up the good work.

thank you.

the mashie and i have a range session planned for this afternoon. i'm certainly looking forward to this session.

well, i had myself a nice, long range session this afternoon and i spent the bulk of it hitting the Mashie. i was pretty much out there solo today as it is a bit cool but there wasn't a breath of wind and my practice facility finally opened up the grass range as they've been doing some winter preperation. i warmed up with a few wedge shots which i was hitting quite well, so when i pulled the retro styled mashie out of the bag and put the grip in my hands i was full of confidence and............

the Mashie didn't disappoint. i started out hitting it beautifully. that solid sound, followed by a long, high ball flight is something that is very welcomed. i dare say that this club may offer the absolute perfect launch angle and distance, just like it's designed to. the best part was that i didn't see one shot that featured a rightward ball flight. shots that found the center of the club face were high launching straight down the range missiles. something that i noticed was how lovely turf interaction is with the Mashie. it just feels good, not to thick, not to thin, but just right. i believe the glide rails on the sole do exactly as advertised.

i also am getting right back into the hybrid groove. i struggled last friday with my setup solely b/c i haven't had a hybrid in play for some time now. i still can't flight the ball low as some testers so i decided to execute some punch shots with it. for this shot i choke up to the end of the grip, place the ball a little behind center and i try to put about a 3/4 swing on it. it was amazing how accurate and how straight i was hitting the ball to the 150 yard marker. i've pretty much decided that i can't flight anything low so it's imperative that i stick with the previously mentioned 3/4 shot if i do need to punch or keep the ball under the wind.

i must say that the Mashie really shined for me today. i won't say i have the fever yet b/c i need a few more rounds under my belt but it's easy to say that it is by far the best feeling, best sounding, best flying, and perhaps the easiest hybrid i've hit to date. i am beginning to comprehend what others meant when they said using the Mashie is "like cheating".

i'm feeling really good about this club right now and i do believe that i may have to arrange a date with myself and the mashie on the course tomorrow.

Lets keep this one about the testing and the club and keep the jokes and banter to other threads. Thanks.

Thanks for the review today TC, I am looking forward to your thoughts after having it out on the course

Thanks for the review today TC, I am looking forward to your thoughts after having it out on the course

well, i'm tee'ing off at 11 am tomorrow so thoughts should follow my man.

Great review TC, but the question is tomorrow will there be a 3 iron in your bag or has the mashie already beat it out?

nice write up big bro. I am glad you found the Aha moment with the mashie.

Great review TC, but the question is tomorrow will there be a 3 iron in your bag or has the mashie already beat it out?

no, i took the 3 iron out already. if i'm gonna Mashie, i'm gonna Mashie 100% of the time. i am testing the club so i certainly want to get as many licks in as possible. the range i frequent i've been visiting since moving to Ash Vegas, so i am very familiar with it. after today, i'm pretty sure that the Mashie isn't as long as my 3 iron but it's dang close. the ball flights are totally different and i'm seeing a good amount of carry distance out of the Mashie. i'm really excited about tomorrow. i play this particular golf course more than any other around here so i am already thinking about when/where to hit the Mashie.

great report TC, looking forward to your comments post round tomorrow

thanks buddy! you had your Mashie out here lately or any plans to?

I know its posted somewhere in here but what loft did you get in the mashie? TC

Nice review TC. I plan on getting mine on the course this weekend. I would like to get another range session in before that too. Hopefully the weather will stay warm and let it be a great weekend.

I know its posted somewhere in here but what loft did you get in the mashie? TC

Good question One-T. I also wonder if the 3-iron is the same loft as the mashie TC is gaming? Being a hybrid man I usually pound my 16 degree hybrid way pass any 3 iron I've ever hit.

I think he has the same as me the 20.5.

i have the 20.5* Mashie, and my 3 iron is 18* so that's why i'm seeing more distance out of the 3iron. the Mashie has a very good chance of kicking the 3 and 4 iron out of my bag in fact.

Good question One-T. I also wonder if the 3-iron is the same loft as the mashie TC is gaming? Being a hybrid man I usually pound my 16 degree hybrid way pass any 3 iron I've ever hit.

Wouldn't a 16* be more like a 3W or 4W as opposed to a 3i Grey?

Wouldn't a 16* be more like a 3W or 4W as opposed to a 3i Grey?

Yep. It might be a weak 3-wood replacement but I hit my 16 degree hybrid much better and more consistant than a 3-wood. I would love to give the 15.5 Mashie a spin! From what you guys are posting, that thing would be hotter than a two dollar pistol :golf2:

I didn't post this earlier but I feel like I am getting more distance out of the Mashie. I was hitting a 19* Burner Rescue before about 200. I have been consistently hitting the 20.5* Mashie about 205. I can not imagine what the 15.5* would do to my 15* 3w.

i have the 20.5* Mashie, and my 3 iron is 18* so that's why i'm seeing more distance out of the 3iron. the Mashie has a very good chance of kicking the 3 and 4 iron out of my bag in fact.

sounds like I would keep the 3 and kick the 4.

sounds like I would keep the 3 and kick the 4.

no, that's not going to happen, mostly b/c i don't want a hybrid in between two irons. i mean, if i'm hitting the 3 iron 225-230 and i'm hitting the Mashie 215-220, when am i really gonna need the extra 10 yards.

I didn't post this earlier but I feel like I am getting more distance out of the Mashie. I was hitting a 19* Burner Rescue before about 200. I have been consistently hitting the 20.5* Mashie about 205. I can not imagine what the 15.5* would do to my 15* 3w.

I posted it earlier but my 20.5* Mashie is out performing the club it replaced, a 18.5* Nickent

no, that's not going to happen, mostly b/c i don't want a hybrid in between two irons. i mean, if i'm hitting the 3 iron 225-230 and i'm hitting the Mashie 215-220, when am i really gonna need the extra 10 yards.

so if you pull the 3 and 4 is anything going into the bag other than the mashie?

Went to the simulator (practice bay) yesterday to get some swings and had a blast! My shanking was an isolated incident it seemed haha. I compared the Mashie (20.5) with a Adams Pro Black hybrid (18). The simulators at the PGA SS are usually pretty good. The distance I showed on the sim/practice bay vs the GPS was about 7-8 yards shorter than what I was seeing on course. This is usual for me and something I learned while practicing there.

The Adams has a good stock shaft (voodoo) and the distance gap was about 7 yards (higher for the Adams). Seems about right with the different lofts. The average carry distances for each club was 197 Mashie and 204 Adams with about 7-8 yards of roll according to the simulator. The other thing to note is the consistancy between the two clubs as far as shot dispersion. I was much more consistant with the Mashie. Which I definitely credit to it's forgiveness. The Adams is a fantastic hybrid but for me the the forgiveness wasn't close. I expected a difference because it's considered a players hybrid. I was just shocked how much of a difference it was. I had compared the Adams to other hybrids and it wasn't as big of a difference as with the Mashie. Now you can miss with the Mashie it's just much harder to imo.

I also stepped on the gas for one shot each. The Mashie went 222 carry and 230 total. The Adams was 225 Carry and 233 total. I don't really go after shots like that anymore. I just wanted to see what it was like. The distances were pretty much what I expected there. I did hit the Mashie a little lower than normal.

While this part is probably more subjective than feel I wanted to note how much easier the Mashie was to swing overall. The shaft and clubhead really feel like the perfect match. I felt more relaxed in my backswing and downswing. I really think the lightweight shaft is a huge plus.

I had a good time comparing the two. The Adams was a club I considered as a potential for my Nickent replacement. I found it really good to compare the two head to head and Ill do it again with some other hybrids. So far, the Mashie has knocked off two good ones.

Back