Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

im gonna have to try out that M5 then to go with my Burner 3H since I cant land the 5H to save my life

Anyone try the Mashie "Tour" yet? I hit a few balls with it at the PGA Show Demo day and came away impressed. I've had a M3 of the normal version in my bag since release day and have really enjoyed it so far.

Anyone try the Mashie "Tour" yet? I hit a few balls with it at the PGA Show Demo day and came away impressed. I've had a M3 of the normal version in my bag since release day and have really enjoyed it so far.

i believe SethO just picked up a Mashie Tour recently.

For the last 2-3 weeks I have been trying to decide if I need to purchase a M1. Here is my story and I look to my fellow Mashie lovers to post their thoughts.

Presently with the exception of my driver (Avg distance 230) I do not have a club in my bag to hit the ball more that 200 yards, the M3 I can hit from 180 - 195 and a little over 200 with a perfect swing and every thing going right. I have a Nickent #1 Hybrid that I picked up for $20 that is the same length as the M1 but is 14*and I have a very difficult time hitting it, maybe 2 out of 10 times, so I am thinking I might have the same lack of success with the M1. So here are two questions running through my head.

1) Is a club that I can hit 215-230 really needed in my bag? I figure I would need it on par 5s and the are usually only 4 per course and do I really need to reach par 5s in 2?

2) Is there much difference in distance between the M2 and M3? (a possible solution - get a M2) Maybe the M2 is easier to hit than the M1 and I can squeeze out a few more yards.

Rhino, I think a club you can hit over 200 yards is very useful, even if you only use it off the tee.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Yes. Something that you can use when your driver may not be the best option.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Ive been hitting the M1 a ton off the tee. When Im swinging good its a fairway finder. If it goes anywhere from 200 - 230 Im happy with that. Sometimes I'll go M1, M1 again on longer holes.

I will keep trying to get this Nickent working, then at the outing check out the M1,

Kevin, you found the M2 and M3 had similar distances huh?

I think the M1 is a great club. It is a little harder to control than the M3, but than is because of the loft. I think it is a great buy if you don't like a three wood. That is my issue, I haven't found a three wood I could hit consistent.

I will keep trying to get this Nickent working, then at the outing check out the M1,

Kevin, you found the M2 and M3 had similar distances huh?

Yeah pretty close. Im sure with a very good swing there is probably 10 yards or so difference.

WR I know we were kinda chattin about this last night and I've had some more time to think about this. I think club that goes 200 yards (average) can be useful but check out the yardages of the courses you play. I look at Par3's to see what kind of yardages I think I would need, Ida know. I don't think it should be a focus unless you're at that point in your game where a 200 yard shot will make or break ya. I'm not lol. But again its nice to have a club that will go that if you get stuck off the tee with a poor shot. I see Hawks point. The other thing, the M1 is the easiest 15 degree club I've ever hit. bar none. I'm positive I can pass some of the old knowledge this old dog has learned with his M1 time lol.

On to my round yesterday. I fit in 16. Almost got 17 in. In fact I was kinda mad because on 17 (par 5) I hit a perfect drive down the middle and only had 223 to the pin. Had to wait a long time though and never got a chance to finish the whole. I tee'd off when there was barely any light. It sure does get dark quick. So I dropped a junk ball, and put it in the water right flag high with the M1. Well I saw the splash. I couldnt see the ballflight but it was exciting to wait for haha. The tees I was playing were 6700 yards on the dot. I usually hit driver quite a few times but the Mashies won out. No GPS on me so I can't say distances for sure. here is how she went.

Hole #1: Pulled hooked my driver. 202 to a flag on an uphill green. I pulled out the M3. Nailed the shot. Straight, penetrating ballflight and I saw it hit the green. When I saw the ballmark it was about 10 feet away from my ball. Love seeing that. 3 jacked it for a bogey lol. Horrid read and I was just uncomfortable through 5 holes with my putter.

Hole#2: This hole plays shorter than 409 it has listed. I don't mind a longer iron into the green because its elevated and anything less than a 7i I leave it short no matter what. M1!!! I hit a great shot but ended up slicing it ever so slightly. You could even call it a fade. Workability at its finest. Had 162 left and thought I was hit a nice 6i over the trees lol. I had to hit it high, left it short. Duffed my chip but ended up 2 putting for a bogey.

Hole#3: Par 3 I ended up jacking up my short game. DOuble...

Hole#4: Another shorter par 4 (311). M1! I caught the side of a hill but this shot was an absolute rocket. Easily carried 220 until it met that hill. I was hitting hte Tour i(z) on this hole :) Left with 85 to the green. Left my SW shot and duffed my chip. Long 1 putt for par.

Hole#5: 291 Yard par 4 thats actually drivable. Unfortunately it takes a great fade and you have to be deadly accurate. if you leave it shot the uphill green sends it rolling to the water. I demolished the Tour i(z) off the tee with my M3. The cart GPS read 220 to the water so I figured I was safe. I must've hulked this one because it ended up rolling into the water. Lesson learned, stay left haha. I double this hole.

Hole #6: 585 yard par 5. Its a nasty dog leg soif you pull driver make sure you dont hit it over 265 or you have a great fade in your bag. I pulled my M1 out. Another fade lol. Into the water! I was pissed. I had no idea why I was fading my Mashie. I had 375 left. I dropped, hit my 3rd with the M1 and hit a nice shot. I slowed my tempo down and just let the club do its work. was left with 146. Fade, slice whatever you want to call it but it was pin high. I had like 15 feet of green to work with and I was 10 yards off in a grass bunker. What a par shot lol. Landed a nice floppish shot and it rolled to the edge. I putted off the fringe for my bogey. It felt great. No really it did. I was really doing a horrid job of aiming because the shots that went in the water on these last two holes were nice shots.

Hole #7: Another par 3. It plays 211. Kinda stuck in between Mashies here because the green sits deceptively uphill. Pulled out my M3 and left it just short. Duffed my chip and 3 jacked for a bogey. I really wish I could put the draw on, on command because it would've probably rolled the ball nicely onto the green. A straight shot Ill take every time because it really shouldve been an easy par.

Hole#8 586 yard par 5. I usually pull my driver into sand bunkers. Not this time I thought. So I hit my M1 and drilled it. 335 left to the hole. This ball had a nice draw and rolled for a bit. I did hit a drive as a second ball and was only about 30 yards ahead. Two best tee shots of the day lol. Any way, hit my M3 and was left with about 105. I was absolute Wilson Staff Guy'ing my Mashies on this hole. Unfortunately I Hit my Gap Wedge high and was left with a funny birdie pitch (40 yards) from the top of a hill. Well I hit that fat and sat on the front of the green. Usually I'd put but I was actually feeling good about my chips from all the practice. POW par. Awesome feeling.

Hole#9 381 yard par 4. Not long but nasty. Water is in play and here is where you have to have a 200 yard or more club. M1 to the rescue! Its weird dog leg. Fairway is protected by oob and bunkers/water along with bunkers if you're too long. I had 165 left to the pin and hit and nice, easy 6i to the fringe. Putt and the then a footer was drained for par.

44/par 36. Certainly left some shots but the Mashie was a savior! Put me in some good positions and I'm not going to get mad at balls going into the water because I hit good shots. Just live, learn and move on.

Hole #10. 342 yard par 4. I always hybrid or fairway metal this bad boy. Too much water to my right lol. Killed my M3 and had about 125 left. Hit a fat shot and then a good chip but not a lot of green and it caught a slope. Rolled to about 30 feet. Left my first put short but nailed the 10 or so footer for bogey haha.

Hole #11 short par 5 472 yards. Nasty Dog leg though. M1 off the tee and had about 224 to the green. I layed up with my 6i. Hit it further than expected and had an easy 45 yard shot. Hit it too far on the fringe but two putted for par.

Hole #12 153 yard par 3. Plays at least a club uphill. Usually I'd be mulling over a 8 iron but I pulled out my 7. Slice, ended up about 20 off the green. but trees in my way. Hit my pitch under the trees and sank a 20 footer for par. I had to tell someone lol.

Hole#13: 392 par 4 Ugh. Topped my M3. I had 215 left to the green but had to either fade the ball in or carry over palm trees. To all that have played golf with me know that palm trees and I have a strange attraction. I figured I workable the ball in. Lol but I knew I could. M1 to the front of the green off maybe 15 yards. Screwed up the chip and 2 putted for double lol. Dont ask. I hit the downslope I didnt want to hit then hit it again chipping up. Hit my bogey putt about 10 feet short but put in the 10 footer.

Hole#14 386 yard par 4. M1 again. I love this club off the tee. Hit it fat haha but didnt lose much. But hit into the water lol. Dropped hitting 3 and had 189 left. Huge uphill hole though. Pulled my M3 and hit it to the right fringe. What an awesome feeling. I love hitting close to the green from this far out. The M3 just washed away any bad thoughts I was having. Putt off the fringe for par was about 15 feet short. Had my putting going on the green though and nailed the bogey haha.

Hole# 15 213 yard par 3. M3 time. Plays slightly down from the teebox. Still hit a fattie and ended up short. Tough going for the chip on but two putted for bogey.

Hole#16 411 yard par 4. Driver and I hit a decent one. Had 145 left but it was sitting uphill *sigh. Lol. It was justplaying long today. Hit my 8i onto the green and two putted for par.

Hole #17 is where it ended and the M1 hit into the water lol.

Here is what I found out. I love my Mashies. I lost a few strokes to water but a couple shots I wouldnt take back I'd just aim better. Hit 3/7 FW's on my frist nine was up too 4/5 on the beginning of my back 9. Hell 5/6 if you count the 17th lol. And 18 Im pretty sure would've been M1/M3 to the green. The Mashies are really opening my eyes to course management and I'm realizing the tee shot isnt for getting as close as you can to the green. It just makes things so much easier. Regardess of what hybrids I have in my bag I've realized I'm a hybrid guy. These Mashies are just phenominal. Forgivng and long. I love how they land so soft as well. I'm not worried about flying a 200 yard hybrid into the greens because I know it will stick. I could never figure out why I wouldnt break certain scores. Course management was always missing and the Mashies have provided a good gateway into that.

WR I know we were kinda chattin about this last night and I've had some more time to think about this. I think club that goes 200 yards (average) can be useful but check out the yardages of the courses you play. I look at Par3's to see what kind of yardages I think I would need, Ida know. I don't think it should be a focus unless you're at that point in your game where a 200 yard shot will make or break ya. I'm not lol. But again its nice to have a club that will go that if you get stuck off the tee with a poor shot. I see Hawks point. The other thing, the M1 is the easiest 15 degree club I've ever hit. bar none. I'm positive I can pass some of the old knowledge this old dog has learned with his M1 time lol.

On to my round yesterday. I fit in 16. Almost got 17 in. In fact I was kinda mad because on 17 (par 5) I hit a perfect drive down the middle and only had 223 to the pin. Had to wait a long time though and never got a chance to finish the whole. I tee'd off when there was barely any light. It sure does get dark quick. So I dropped a junk ball, and put it in the water right flag high with the M1. Well I saw the splash. I couldnt see the ballflight but it was exciting to wait for haha. The tees I was playing were 6700 yards on the dot. I usually hit driver quite a few times but the Mashies won out. No GPS on me so I can't say distances for sure. here is how she went.

Hole #1: Pulled hooked my driver. 202 to a flag on an uphill green. I pulled out the M3. Nailed the shot. Straight, penetrating ballflight and I saw it hit the green. When I saw the ballmark it was about 10 feet away from my ball. Love seeing that. 3 jacked it for a bogey lol. Horrid read and I was just uncomfortable through 5 holes with my putter.

Hole#2: This hole plays shorter than 409 it has listed. I don't mind a longer iron into the green because its elevated and anything less than a 7i I leave it short no matter what. M1!!! I hit a great shot but ended up slicing it ever so slightly. You could even call it a fade. Workability at its finest. Had 162 left and thought I was hit a nice 6i over the trees lol. I had to hit it high, left it short. Duffed my chip but ended up 2 putting for a bogey.

Hole#3: Par 3 I ended up jacking up my short game. DOuble...

Hole#4: Another shorter par 4 (311). M1! I caught the side of a hill but this shot was an absolute rocket. Easily carried 220 until it met that hill. I was hitting hte Tour i(z) on this hole :) Left with 85 to the green. Left my SW shot and duffed my chip. Long 1 putt for par.

Hole#5: 291 Yard par 4 thats actually drivable. Unfortunately it takes a great fade and you have to be deadly accurate. if you leave it shot the uphill green sends it rolling to the water. I demolished the Tour i(z) off the tee with my M3. The cart GPS read 220 to the water so I figured I was safe. I must've hulked this one because it ended up rolling into the water. Lesson learned, stay left haha. I double this hole.

Hole #6: 585 yard par 5. Its a nasty dog leg soif you pull driver make sure you dont hit it over 265 or you have a great fade in your bag. I pulled my M1 out. Another fade lol. Into the water! I was pissed. I had no idea why I was fading my Mashie. I had 375 left. I dropped, hit my 3rd with the M1 and hit a nice shot. I slowed my tempo down and just let the club do its work. was left with 146. Fade, slice whatever you want to call it but it was pin high. I had like 15 feet of green to work with and I was 10 yards off in a grass bunker. What a par shot lol. Landed a nice floppish shot and it rolled to the edge. I putted off the fringe for my bogey. It felt great. No really it did. I was really doing a horrid job of aiming because the shots that went in the water on these last two holes were nice shots.

Hole #7: Another par 3. It plays 211. Kinda stuck in between Mashies here because the green sits deceptively uphill. Pulled out my M3 and left it just short. Duffed my chip and 3 jacked for a bogey. I really wish I could put the draw on, on command because it would've probably rolled the ball nicely onto the green. A straight shot Ill take every time because it really shouldve been an easy par.

Hole#8 586 yard par 5. I usually pull my driver into sand bunkers. Not this time I thought. So I hit my M1 and drilled it. 335 left to the hole. This ball had a nice draw and rolled for a bit. I did hit a drive as a second ball and was only about 30 yards ahead. Two best tee shots of the day lol. Any way, hit my M3 and was left with about 105. I was absolute Wilson Staff Guy'ing my Mashies on this hole. Unfortunately I Hit my Gap Wedge high and was left with a funny birdie pitch (40 yards) from the top of a hill. Well I hit that fat and sat on the front of the green. Usually I'd put but I was actually feeling good about my chips from all the practice. POW par. Awesome feeling.

Hole#9 381 yard par 4. Not long but nasty. Water is in play and here is where you have to have a 200 yard or more club. M1 to the rescue! Its weird dog leg. Fairway is protected by oob and bunkers/water along with bunkers if you're too long. I had 165 left to the pin and hit and nice, easy 6i to the fringe. Putt and the then a footer was drained for par.

44/par 36. Certainly left some shots but the Mashie was a savior! Put me in some good positions and I'm not going to get mad at balls going into the water because I hit good shots. Just live, learn and move on.

Hole #10. 342 yard par 4. I always hybrid or fairway metal this bad boy. Too much water to my right lol. Killed my M3 and had about 125 left. Hit a fat shot and then a good chip but not a lot of green and it caught a slope. Rolled to about 30 feet. Left my first put short but nailed the 10 or so footer for bogey haha.

Hole #11 short par 5 472 yards. Nasty Dog leg though. M1 off the tee and had about 224 to the green. I layed up with my 6i. Hit it further than expected and had an easy 45 yard shot. Hit it too far on the fringe but two putted for par.

Hole #12 153 yard par 3. Plays at least a club uphill. Usually I'd be mulling over a 8 iron but I pulled out my 7. Slice, ended up about 20 off the green. but trees in my way. Hit my pitch under the trees and sank a 20 footer for par. I had to tell someone lol.

Hole#13: 392 par 4 Ugh. Topped my M3. I had 215 left to the green but had to either fade the ball in or carry over palm trees. To all that have played golf with me know that palm trees and I have a strange attraction. I figured I workable the ball in. Lol but I knew I could. M1 to the front of the green off maybe 15 yards. Screwed up the chip and 2 putted for double lol. Dont ask. I hit the downslope I didnt want to hit then hit it again chipping up. Hit my bogey putt about 10 feet short but put in the 10 footer.

Hole#14 386 yard par 4. M1 again. I love this club off the tee. Hit it fat haha but didnt lose much. But hit into the water lol. Dropped hitting 3 and had 189 left. Huge uphill hole though. Pulled my M3 and hit it to the right fringe. What an awesome feeling. I love hitting close to the green from this far out. The M3 just washed away any bad thoughts I was having. Putt off the fringe for par was about 15 feet short. Had my putting going on the green though and nailed the bogey haha.

Hole# 15 213 yard par 3. M3 time. Plays slightly down from the teebox. Still hit a fattie and ended up short. Tough going for the chip on but two putted for bogey.

Hole#16 411 yard par 4. Driver and I hit a decent one. Had 145 left but it was sitting uphill *sigh. Lol. It was justplaying long today. Hit my 8i onto the green and two putted for par.

Hole #17 is where it ended and the M1 hit into the water lol.

Here is what I found out. I love my Mashies. I lost a few strokes to water but a couple shots I wouldnt take back I'd just aim better. Hit 3/7 FW's on my frist nine was up too 4/5 on the beginning of my back 9. Hell 5/6 if you count the 17th lol. And 18 Im pretty sure would've been M1/M3 to the green. The Mashies are really opening my eyes to course management and I'm realizing the tee shot isnt for getting as close as you can to the green. It just makes things so much easier. Regardess of what hybrids I have in my bag I've realized I'm a hybrid guy. These Mashies are just phenominal. Forgivng and long. I love how they land so soft as well. I'm not worried about flying a 200 yard hybrid into the greens because I know it will stick. I could never figure out why I wouldnt break certain scores. Course management was always missing and the Mashies have provided a good gateway into that.

Wow, great stuff dude

Thanks 10! I took some notes haha. I love twilight golf because I can but hate never knowing if 18 is for sure. It's the best time to practice and test though.

Wow, great stuff dude

Great post Yoccos, and some good lessons learned on your round.

You are right by saying I am focusing too much on the numbers and the "what if" factor where I should just listen to my own advice and just enjoy the game and not stress too much on how far this club goes versus this other club.

swap it for a m5 then go M1,M3, M5, that is where i might be going if I can hit the M1

This is where I'm headed. I'm just one ebay or blind9 golf search from getting my M5 on. I'm seeing about 20 - 25 yards difference between M3 and M1. I do think the M1 is a little more difficult to hit well than the M3, but not much. The M1 is a fairway finder off the tee for me.

Took the m1 out today for my 9 hole round. This is the first time I have hit this club sine I got it earlier in the week. I used it twice off the tee. Both times I found myself in the fairway and I thought the distance was fine. The course was soft so I know I wasn't going to get much roll today.

I have had one round with the Mashies- M4 and M5. I passed on the M3 because on the monitor I was getting similar distances to my 7 wood (which I love) and like others here I didn't see much difference (other than height) between the M2 and M3. The M1 is out of my league.

The highlights:

Hole 1: Drive landed around 7 wood distance from the pin on the fairway. Pulled out the M4 and hit a nice easy shot that landed softly between the two traps and rolled about 10 feet past the hole. Birdie! Now that's the way to start a round!

Hole 5: From the fringe of a huge green a long way to the hole. Pulled the M5 out and used a little bump a run. I was a little heavy on it. Bounced off the back of the hole and jumped up landing a few feet away. Par. Have to get used to the weight for these shots, but no trouble with direction!

Hole 9: Very thin lie in front of a big raised sand trap. Caught it clean with the M5 clearing the trap with no problems. I actually sent the ball over the green. Bogey. These are clearly longer than my old hybrids.

Hole 12: Heavy rough, but the ball was raised a bit so I thought I'd see how those rails would work. I gave it a bit of umph and caught the ball clean, but it ended up as a 'power draw' sailing into the rough way down but on opposite side of the fairway and in the light rough. Double Bogey.

Hole 17: Par 3, Cracking shot with the M4 right over the water... and the green... and softly into the rear trap! Still made Par.

My early observations are that this club is perfectly suited for my normal swing. A smooth 3/4 power swing produces excellent long accurate results. When I try to put anything extra on my swing the Mashie tends to lean left. I am going to have to control myself from trying to put more on it. I suspect that the same smooth 3/4 swing will be fine from almost any lie.

The other conclusion is that even with a 3/4 swing these are a club to a club and a half longer than the Bobby Jones on the course. This means my M4 and M5 are giving me 3I/7W and 4I distances respectively. Great but playing the Mashies has left me with a distance gap and since I prefer a hybrid to a 5I I think I am going to leave the Bobby Jones 30* (H5) in the bag. Strange that they would have an M1 and not an M6......

Spent some time with the M3 and there is little doubt that this club will be mine. I never hit a bad shot with it. After the wife gets her irons , mashie will be mine.

This is where I'm headed. I'm just one ebay or blind9 golf search from getting my M5 on. I'm seeing about 20 - 25 yards difference between M3 and M1. I do think the M1 is a little more difficult to hit well than the M3, but not much. The M1 is a fairway finder off the tee for me.

I think I am just gonna bite the bullet and get the M1. I have some clubs to trade in so it should not be that big of a dent in my pocket. Heck I might even come out ahead...LOL

I made it out to the range yesterday and was able to see how the Mashie did in windy conditions. Both of the clubs did really great for how windy it was (20 mph wind gust). There was a cross wind on the range from right to left. I did notice that I had to aim a bit to the right of the target, because the ball would get beat up in the air. The penetrating flight I think only happens directly into the wind. I think the nice high ball flight that I love on calm days, was beat up on windy day. The one thing that I did notice is that the ball flight was not hurt that bad. I have had windy conditions like this destroy other clubs ball flights compare to just hurting the Mashie ball flight a little bit. I hope to make it out on the course today or tomorrow to get some course time.

Finally got to hit the Mashie at an outside demo day yesterday and it's no where near over hyped. I was really looking to hit the M1 to replace my 3 wood but unfortunately the Cleveland rep didn't have one. I grabbed the M2 and let fly a shot...was shocked how sweet the flight was and how easy the ball shot off the face. Stunned, I went ahead and ripped off a few more then laughing I looked back at my buddy. We both agreed that I was knocking it much further than I hit my current 3 wood and straight too! It will take some planning but there will be at least one of these in my bag soon.

Back