Cleveland & Never Compromise Demo Day Reviews

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The THP Fall Golf Outing has concluded and one of the many features of the THP Golf Outings is a rather large demo day with more equipment than you could ever imagine for all of the people to try out. We provided notebooks, pens, and gear and ask that people give their thoughts on the equipment that they tried.

DO NOT POST PICTURES in this thread!

This thread will be devoted for the ClevelandGolf equipment that was out there as well as the Never Compromise putters that were there too.

Launcher Ultralite (270, 290, 310) - W/Miyazaki C.Kua Shafts
Launcher Ultralite FW Woods - W/Miyazaki C.Kua Shafts
Cleveland Mashie - W/Miyazaki C.Kua Shafts
CG16 Irons (2 Finishes)
CG16 Wedges
Never Compromise Gambler Putters (3 Models)

This is the list and we look forward to hearing everybody's thoughts that got to experience this incredible day of demoing equipment.

FINALLY!! Let me get this out of the way, I will be buying a Cleveland Mashie as soon as I can. I had all kinds of trouble at demo day with the driver, just couldnt hit one for some stupid reason. Then I hit the Mashie. BOOM!! First swing and that ball took off like a rocket! I was in love! It looks a little different but who cares with how it performs. I hit both the 3H and the 4H and loved them both. Im positive the 3H will be in my bag. And with a Miyazaki shaft standard? No brainer!!

And the NC putter in a #9 style was just pure sweetness. Loved it too. I cant wait to see what these putters look like with paint fill in them and all done up. It rolled absolutely fantastic. I will be getting a NC Gambler #9 style too.

These clubs were the hit of the demo day for me. And the Cleveland hybrid was just a total complete surprise. I was literally blown away first hit. Great job Cleveland and thank you for the chance to hit unreleased amazing clubs.

EDIT: I almost forgot the new Cleveland CG16 irons. Those things were awesome. I think they were every bit as good as the X-24's and maybe even the Burners. I was shocked how nice they felt and they hit the ball high and far. I think the CG16's were the surprise iron for the demo day just as the Mashie was the surprise hyrbid.

Last edited:
Oh man, I don't have nearly enough time on my hands to talk about Cleveland right now. I will say that the wedges, irons, and hybrid were awesome. I will get more in depth later.

I think the hybrids were so good and so liked by most there if JB would have said we could take them out on the course there would have been a brawl.

I have been waiting for this thread..... I'm a believer in Cleveland and as you can tell by my bag I love the irons.

Ill start with CG16's:
- The stock shaft produced a higher ballflight than what I like but I'm sure a swap like I did with my CG7's would bring it to a flight I like.
- The irons were extremely forgiving. I thought more forgiving than the BP's. Good and bad swings didn't produce a whole lot of difference. You can feel a mishit imo but it didnt kill your shot.
- The feel of these clubs I thought was very good. I wish I could have taken them out!!!
- I really liked the looks. I'm not sure I can describe them so I wont just to be safe but they looked nice. Different than the CG7 BP's which I admit I'm still partial too. But the fact these were so easy to hit, I might check with Cleveland to see if I can get in on that replacement deal. I just missed the deadline but Id still call them because I really liked these.

Mashie:
- My favorite club of the demo day
- My second favorite club of the demo day.
- Automatice purchase when it comes out. I sometimes wait until a club drops in price but not on this one. The feel was something I've never felt for a club. It was insane. I put the easiest swings on this club and I was bombing the you know what out of it. The feel was something in between heaven and the best feeling club type feel.
- Forgiveness. I didn't hit one bad shot. I repeat, not one bad shot. I know I hit a few off center and they didnt miss a beat.
- Shaft.. I think it was fate I met the Mashie because whatever the flex code on the Miyazaki was it was perfect. I picked the 4h because that is the one I replace my 3i with. Awesome. The shaft made for an effortless swing. I feel like an idiot for not writing down the weight and flex code but Ill know once I get my hands on these in the store. This really makes the club a no brainers for me.
- I think I can safely say everyone loved this club. I know this can sound like a lot of hype but this was bar none the absolute best club for me at the outing and will be a no hesitation, no second thought/buyers remorse type purchase.

Drivers:

I know these wont be out for awhile and its killing me. I need a driver upgrade lol. This is top of the list along with another club/shaft combo. These drivers are beautiful.

- Feel... Roadhouse. Definitely feel solid and great to smash the golf balls with. Best feeling driver I hit all weekend.
- Forgiveness... I tried two models I think. One I know was the 310 and another I remember it being 440cc. For all I know they could have been the same. I really wish I would have been more specific in my notes but I didn't realize there were 3 different lines at first. Either way they were both great haha. The tour model I tended to hit right a little more but it wasn't a typical tour model miss. It was still very playable and I didn't notice a drop off in distance. The second go round with the driver came with the 440cc model. If it was the same model my swing was on because I didn't miss a lot at all. In fact I think I only hit one to the right. No snap hooks, none of my normal misses. Long, straight and the ball flight was penetrating.
- Looks. Gorgeous.
- Shaft: C Kua has made me a believer in Miyazaki. I hit a 59 gram shaft both times and i was in love with it. I didn't swing hard and the club was automatic and long. Much longer than my current set up. I could not have put the swing I used with the Cleveland driver on my current club and expect as good results. Not even close. This shaft is worth the hype.
- Overall. Again I want to apologize for not getting the model number down. But I know I will be demo'ing and getting fit as soon as these come out.

Never Compromise Gambler:
- I didnt want another putter until I started rolling this.
- Looks, imo better than anything out there. The customization sounds awesome with this putter too.
- Feel... just try it. When you get a chance to roll it, that's all that needs to be said.
- I don't need a putter but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be on this putter like white on rice.

Cleveland and THP put on a wonderful demo day. This was the reason I didn't demo a lot of other things. They completely stole my attention and it was worth every minute. I keep saying I feel dumb for not getting the driver model numbers down but I do because I was crushing them lol. I don't want to get the wrong driver haha. Star of the show for me. It was a long/wordy write up but I could go on for another 2-3 pages. Fantastic clubs and I can't wait to see these on store shelves.

Wow!

I'm really excited to get the full run down on these items!!

OEM, was this the hybrid you have been mentioning that absolutely blew you away? Best in show?

• Admin
I will have my feedback on the products coming up soon, but I can safely say that the Mashie was a CLEAR CUT best in show. With a close runner up to the Gambler Series putters from Never Compromise. But the entire Cleveland showing was exceptional. And having the clubs come with REAL Miyazaki shafts stock is truly exceptional.

I fell in love with the men's Cleveland Launcher 5 wood with the regular flex Miyazaki shaft. I have been really struggling with my woods lately and decided I would try a few at the outing. I tried several of them but there was absolutely no comparison to the Cleveland. I was consistently smacking this thing longer, higher, and straighter than ever. I was amazed. I will be buying one as soon as they are on the market. Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! I want one! The shaft in this thing makes all the difference!

I wish I had tried the hybrids after hearing all the reviews about them. They must really be something. I'll definitely be trying those out asap too.

i know that there are a ton of folks that have been eagerly anticipating the arrival of this thread. no doubt, the cleveland prerelease line was the absolute best in show! obviously, i couldn't hit anything but i made a conscious effort to ask most everyone what their thoughts were, and the most common answer was, "holy sh*t dude!" to me, that says it all. i also know that uncle daddy raved about the entire cleveland lineup. he is really interested in upgrading his irons asap, but he's waiting on the cg16's to be released and he's definitely adding a mashie to the bag as well. i guess the one thing about the mashie that blew me away was watching OEM and JB blast them a consistent distance, with a consistant ball flight, over and over and over again. these are the real deal and i think that cleveland really stepped their game up. as opposed to entering the realm of adjustable face technology, they simply said, "hey, let's just put a bada** shaft in our clubs!" and i for one, love it.

Can we describe features of this line?

Can we describe features of this line?

You can talk about anything and EVERYTHING. Just no pictures please.

Ok then, let's talk CG16 wedges. The are definitely different looking in the sense that they almost appear to have a small cavity in the back. At first, I actually thought they were part of the iron set.

Everything else about them is pure CG. The ones I tried had a oil can type finish and were very pleasing to the eye. They had the laser milling that just ivokes confidence.

As far as perfromance goes, they were one of the top two wedges for me. The grooves were actually eating range balls lol. I almost cried whe JB reminded me I couldn't take then on the course weighting was great and they just fit my wedge swing perfectly. THESE ARE BAD A$$ WEDGES.

Do we know a price point on the Mashie?

Well, first of all I think that it's sorta neat how THPers have adopted the Niblick as one of their cult favorites, and now it seems like the Mashie could quite possibly follow in it's footsteps. Both being new iterations of old school type clubs. Do those that attended the outing think the new Cleveland fairways performed anywhere close to the Mashie ? Especially since they both have Miyazaki shafts ? What else besides the shaft makes the Mashie a winner ?

Tossing my $0.02 in the ring on this issue, I like Yoccos am a believer in the :cleveland: line of products as evident by my current bag set-up. I headed to the outing looking forward to the demo day and seeing what new items would be comming out from Cleveland. I picked up the Mashie hybrid and at first glace did not expect much, looked a bit similar to the DST but took it over to hit a few balls. From the first swing I felt a crsipness and a smoothness I had not felt before in any club. The ball took off like a missle, straight and high!! And not just one or two shots but every one. Now as a high handicapper, I occasionally get one of those shots but to hit them over and over again really impressed me. Like OEM and Yoccos said before on this thread, I was extremely impressed with this club and definately will be searching this club out when it is released.

OK, I'll jump on the mashie bandwagon. I was just hitting some irons, minding my own business, when someone handed me the mashie and said, "you have to try this". Can't remember who it was.. might've been OEM.

Anyways, I probably hit about 5 or 6 shots with it. All pured, all straight, all long, all with great feel. I gave it back, declared it the perfect hybrid, and completed my hybrid testing for the event. Certainly the best hybrid I've ever hit, and I'm suspecting the shaft was a huge part of the equation.

I'm not crazy about the retro look of the clubhead, but it suits the name. And it will be in my bag. Oh yes it will. 2 of them probably.

Hands down the stars of the outing are the Mashie and the Gambler putter line. Everything that I thought of the two has been pretty much said already so no duplication. The Mashie is going into the bag as soon as it comes out. I'm hoping that NC makes a center shaft of the Gambler series as I tried the Anser style and it was great. Even if I might not even use it I might still buy it anyways (it's that attractive and good).

missed this thread last night...but finally we can talk about these.

The Gambler putter - all I can say is wow. These are beautiful, and they weren't even 100% complete if I remember right. The milled face on these felt like no other putters at the outing. These were definately the number 1 putter of demo day IMO. I remember walking over to the putting green and I starting rolling some putts with other putters. I started playing around with some See More's, Nike Methods, Kia Ma's. Finally I asked, where is this super secret putter? Someone pointed them out, oh man. The designs on them, if they are finished off like JB was telling me, will be beautiful. I was telling JB that my first expensive putter was a Never Compromise Grey Matter Putter when they came out back in 1999/2000. BRIDGES THIS IS FOR YOU - DO NOT BUY ANOTHER PUTTER THIS YEAR. SAVE FOR THE OUTING AND THIS PUTTER. The only other putter I like this much would be the Method 003, however the gambler rates higher on WOW factor.

As for the Mashie - I thought about stealing one, but the thought of JB chasing me down PGA Blvd as I drove away kind of frightened me. THP security would have been all over me. Of the hybrids that I hit that day, this was the top of the class. That Miyazaki hyrbid shaft was fantastic. It produced a beautiful ball flight. I don't doubt that this hybrid will find its way in to my bag.

Drivers - I hit the driver with a 39 gram shaft in it. Felt amazing. I was worried about that light of a shaft, but like JB has said numerous times its about balance. I didn't take it to the LM but I know I was hitting this thing well.

FW's - I didn't plan on hitting one. I had a list of what I wanted to try and really was happy with my fw. I did want to try to the superfast because of all the great reviews. I was down near MaryC and KellyBo at one end of the range and those to ladies were making a lot of noise when when hitting these. They just kept hitting them saying, I NEED THIS CLUB. So I stopped and watched and they were hitting them great. Based on their reactions and recommendations I tried one. I liked it a lot. Not really looking to change fw's yet, but I would consider this club.

I'm sure this thread will blow up soon. Cleveland was a star at the outing. It should be a great 2011 golf season for Cleveland Golf.

Well, first of all I think that it's sorta neat how THPers have adopted the Niblick as one of their cult favorites, and now it seems like the Mashie could quite possibly follow in it's footsteps. Both being new iterations of old school type clubs. Do those that attended the outing think the new Cleveland fairways performed anywhere close to the Mashie ? Especially since they both have Miyazaki shafts ? What else besides the shaft makes the Mashie a winner ?

I think that the niblick came on because of the uniqueness of the club and the unpretentiousness (strictly my opinion) of this forum.

The Mashie, while named retro, and has some killer retro looks, is all about the hybrid side of things. I was not sure I would ever try a better hybrid than the Nickent 4DX until I fell for my Cleveland Launcher DST. I am fortunate to have an early Miyazaki C. Kua hybrid shaft in mine and it has made me a true believer.

I had no plans for a change, and as many know, it is fairly hard (all things considering) to get certain clubs out of my bag. But the Mashie will be in there from day 1. I get the performance of that amazing shaft that I already love. The distance and performance that I love from the DST I have now. All wrapped up in one of the coolest packages looks (finish) wise I have ever seen in a club.

I will have my thoughts on the rest of the Cleveland line coming up soon (including FWs for you).

I saw more "better" shots with the mashie than any other club at demo day. People were loving the look and were almost shocked with the results. Hell, I didn't even hit one and I want one. Way too much cool stuff packed into that club to not have it.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Back