Cleveland & Never Compromise Demo Day Reviews

Very cool. And thanks for the responses. I really can't wait to try out the Mashie for myself!

Just spent some time on the range with GG and some of the new Cleveland stuff.

Superlite Drivers
Took the 270, 290, 310 drivers out, all were 9.5*
Something important to note is that I think many thought the only difference between these drivers is shaft weight. That is not the case, as the grip is different on them weighing anywhere from 26g to 46g.

I liked all of them quite a bit. I started with my SuperTri to get a base line on how I was swinging today and then went 310, 290, and finally 270. It WILL take a few swings to get used to the lighter weight. No question about it. But once you get the handle (for me about 3-5 swings), the weight does not seem to come into play.

Each one lighter than the last, it really forces you to keep a smooth tempo, which is something that I love. Once that tempo is ironed out and smooth, the driver weight and shaft technology take over. I am QUICKLY falling in love with this line. Nice smooth swings with each one was producing drives that I just dont normally see without really having to go after it.

They offer very traditional looks with nice ping of a sound. Not loud, not dead, just a nice ping at impact.

Mashie Hybrids
By the time some read this thread they are going to think that this is a miracle club. Its not, but man it is probably the best hybrid I have ever hit. The last time I picked up a hybrid and was this in awe was the Nickent 4DX, which I thought was the best on the market by a pretty big margin at the time. I wont get into comparing these to those 4DX because frankly there is no comparison.

The head is extremely retro in looks and finish. The hybrid is traditional looking (as much as you can say that about a hybrid) in that it is more hybrid looking than FW wood looking. The sole features two "glide rails" that look intriguing and I am sure help out of the thicker stuff.

I know others have said it before in this thread, but the one thing that pops into my mind when testing these is the word SMOOTH. Effortless swings put a beautiful straight ball with a nice penetrating ball flight and NO ballooning whatsoever. The Miyazaki shaft is incredible throughout the swing and completes a perfect marriage between club head and the swing.

I think the hybrid shaft has been overlooked by many for quite some time in the consumer market and this may change that DRAMATICALLY. I have been using this same Miyazaki C. Kua shaft in my DST Launcher hybrid for a couple of months now as well as having it in a few other hybrids and it is a huge plus in all.

I found the distance to be similar to my previous hybrids (maybe 3-5 yards difference), but the key was shot dispersion for me and the performance that I was getting.

Forgiveness is what you want in a hybrid. Missing off the toe and the heel produce nice straight balls that lose very little distance in most cases. Catching the ball a groove or two thick or thin also produced no noticeable issues.

The sound is a plush impact sound that is neither high pitched or dead and muted. Just perfect for my ears and that translates rather well to the feel which is the best I have ever used in the hybrid category. Obviously a lot of that has to do with the shaft.

Wrap Up
Still early for final conclusions on these but I think Cleveland has some winners on their hands. Im looking forward to bringing these to the range this week and having some more people try them out. I will keep updating my findings in this thread.

Everything I wrote here was exactly the same today. I am really digging the line. Tomorrow I will update my findings on the irons.

Everything I wrote here was exactly the same today. I am really digging the line. Tomorrow I will update my findings on the irons.

I cant wait to her what you think about these irons and wedges. Cleveland sounds like they got a very solid lineup here.

I love this site! Living in Denmark where most equipment come out a full 6 months after release in the US, it is very interesting for me to read the reviews. Just based on the reviews alone I will be getting a Mashie. When 95% believes this a great club, it's a no brainer, it's got to be tried. Now seeing as the club probably won't be out until 6 months after release in the US, I guess I will be buying before trying this time around.

Great job THP and it's community, it's the best golf site around!!

I love this site! Living in Denmark where most equipment come out a full 6 months after release in the US, it is very interesting for me to read the reviews. Just based on the reviews alone I will be getting a Mashie. When 95% believes this a great club, it's a no brainer, it's got to be tried. Now seeing as the club probably won't be out until 6 months after release in the US, I guess I will be buying before trying this time around.

Great job THP and it's community, it's the best golf site around!!

Thanks and welcome to THP. I think if I were you and in Denmark Id be doing the same thing. You'll like the Mashie, its a great hybrid.

Cleveland CG16 Irons

When I first saw them, I really liked them. Think of them as a look that is a cross between AP2s and CG7 BPs. I prefer the darker finish on these and they have a nice sleek look to them. If found them similar to the CG7s, but I think they feel a little better. Maybe quite a bit better. The back of the club has a muscleback like attribute to it on a GI iron that really gets the ball moving well at impact. Its hard to explain really, but picture a pocket cavity behind the club and yet it is filled in. But not the rest of the club. Im sure when you see it, it will look far more normal than I am describing. If looks could kill, these would be serial killers.

Cleveland CG16 Irons

When I first saw them, I really liked them. Think of them as a look that is a cross between AP2s and CG7 BPs. I prefer the darker finish on these and they have a nice sleek look to them. If found them similar to the CG7s, but I think they feel a little better. Maybe quite a bit better. The back of the club has a muscleback like attribute to it on a GI iron that really gets the ball moving well at impact. Its hard to explain really, but picture a pocket cavity behind the club and yet it is filled in. But not the rest of the club. Im sure when you see it, it will look far more normal than I am describing. If looks could kill, these would be serial killers.

Missed these at the outing but looking forward to hitting them in a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missed these at the outing but looking forward to hitting them in a few weeks

Same here, although I won't be hitting them in a few weeks.

sure send them up here!!!

man I wish I was making the trip down there

expedia! Roundtrip flights from $238. HAHAHAHHA!

Okay, back on topic, I will have my wedge info after one more session.

expedia! Roundtrip flights from $238. HAHAHAHHA!

Okay, back on topic, I will have my wedge info after one more session.

USPS Priority Mail $20.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the wedges

Any word on the release dates or dates for pics?

As mentioned numerous times in this thread, these items do not come out until a 2011 release. Pics will come as soon as embargo is lifted.

Sorry JB, just excited! :blob:

Looking forward to the embargo being lifted then!

Us too. Some pretty incredible stuff from this one.

As mentioned numerous times in this thread, these items do not come out until a 2011 release. Pics will come as soon as embargo is lifted.

If someone wanted to see a picture of the driver, there is an article in this months Golf Digest (the issue with Sean Foley on the front) with several new drivers photos (new Machspeed Black, Titleist, Adams - page 69).

Last edited:
Is there a countdown to when the embargo is lifted? T minus 30 days?

Good question Hanks, I have ben wondering this as well. I think errr know there is gonna be a lot of hype around Cleveland this year

I wonder if anyone has gamed a Mashie on the course yet?? Id love to know about real world course results.

i just want to hit a mashie dammitt! stupid left handedness. the mashie's gonna have to be pretty darn good to kick the 2.0 3iron out of the bag though. or maybe i'll get a mashie in the 15*

i just want to hit a mashie dammitt! stupid left handedness. the mashie's gonna have to be pretty darn good to kick the 2.0 3iron out of the bag though. or maybe i'll get a mashie in the 15*

Too bad you couldnt hit it bro. Its the real deal for sure. If you had one in the bag right now, you may have never even hit the 2.0 3I. Ponder that!

Too bad you couldnt hit it bro. Its the real deal for sure. If you had one in the bag right now, you may have never even hit the 2.0 3I. Ponder that!

that's a bold statement my friend, especially with how much i am loving the 3 iron right now. the mashie has a lot of attributes that entice me: the finish on the club head, the shaft, and the headcover.

riddle me this bat blunder.....I disagree Kevin. I dont think he would remove the 3iron for the mashie...ponder that...hehe

that's a bold statement my friend, especially with how much i am loving the 3 iron right now. the mashie has a lot of attributes that entice me: the finish on the club head, the shaft, and the headcover.

Just sayin! Maybe if there had been a lefty there for you this love affair with the 3I would have never taken place. The Mashie has a lot to offer over the 3I but I guess we gotta wait and see. Whats the 3I loft? 18*? Theres a Mashie for that.

Back