Cleveland Releasing TA7 Irons

I thought the CG Red was the tour version of the irons with less offset and thinner sole and top line? I am going off memory as I have not hit them in a couple of years.

You are correct. The iron in the picture has "tour spec" stamped on it. The shape of the TA7s reminds me of the X24s.

I thought the Gold series were the continuance of these? Now these are back? A rerelease of old irons could go big, or could fail miserably.

I think a gunmetal set of irons for 399 will sell a ton. Theyre lowballing everyone for new irons.

That's a good looking club. I like the cg-7's too but they are much busier in the back. These look more like a tool to me, thats good.

CG Red was the tour or "better player" version, CG Gold was the version with more offset.

In terms of OEMs coming out with something like this, this is almost like Callaway coming out with the X-18R set that they sold in a few places last year or the year before (I can't remember right now) at $399, they were basically old X-18s that Callaway renamed as X-18R. I like this Cleveland move for the pricepoint, but wonder if some golfers will realize that these are new clubs instead of thinking that 3 or 4 year old sets are on the rack when they look at these clubs. IMHO, if they really wanted to capitalize on the throwback idea, they would have come out with irons named TA5, I played those as my first set of "real" irons (not knockoffs) and loved them.

CG Red was the tour or "better player" version, CG Gold was the version with more offset.

In terms of OEMs coming out with something like this, this is almost like Callaway coming out with the X-18R set that they sold in a few places last year or the year before (I can't remember right now) at $399, they were basically old X-18s that Callaway renamed as X-18R. I like this Cleveland move for the pricepoint, but wonder if some golfers will realize that these are new clubs instead of thinking that 3 or 4 year old sets are on the rack when they look at these clubs. IMHO, if they really wanted to capitalize on the throwback idea, they would have come out with irons named TA5, I played those as my first set of "real" irons (not knockoffs) and loved them.

These are an upgrade from the TA5,

Nah, not really. Just studying biz trends. I love your input.

I don't think this is a bad move either, but I can certainly see coolbreeze's point. When it comes to the price race, you don't want to get involved in a race to the bottom, so you do have to be careful. You won't see Mercedes offering budget cars because it isn't their style. And yes, I'm aware cars like the C300 are in the 30 to 40 ish range but you know what I mean.

However, if I remember correctly I thought it was pretty cool when I graduated from my starter set of clubs to some Callaway Hawkeye VFTs that were given to me. Then, my first real set of irons I bought myself were the R7s and they were affordable. With that said, it's great that people just taking up the game can get name brand clubs for a very reasonable price. I think that's pretty cool and a great offering.

I don't think they'll get stuck in that budget category though.

These are an upgrade from the TA5,

I realize they are an upgrade from the TA5, but in terms of name recognition, I think that the TA5 had more than the TA7. So I thought TA5 would have worked better with the "throwback" factor. But obviously, these are the design of the old TA7's, so it makes sense to put the same name on them.

I actually like the cleaner simplier looks of these irons. I am anxious to hear how they hit.

...the consumer friendly price point iron category has been filled with a lot of "average at best" clubs in my opinion and if a major OEM can make some quality stuff at that price...

This is the key point to me. I hope they put quality and innovation into every piece they make. If that means they have to ignore certain price points so be it, but keep the quality and performance.

I can't really say these just grab me as something I want to run out and buy like so many other Cleveland irons have over the last two years. Great price and I would bet they sell plenty because of the price, likely to people like myself who could benefit by more offset, lower deeper weight.

Now I miss my Cleveland TA3s. :(

I don't think this is a bad move either, but I can certainly see coolbreeze's point. When it comes to the price race, you don't want to get involved in a race to the bottom, so you do have to be careful. You won't see Mercedes offering budget cars because it isn't their style. And yes, I'm aware cars like the C300 are in the 30 to 40 ish range but you know what I mean.

However, if I remember correctly I thought it was pretty cool when I graduated from my starter set of clubs to some Callaway Hawkeye VFTs that were given to me. Then, my first real set of irons I bought myself were the R7s and they were affordable. With that said, it's great that people just taking up the game can get name brand clubs for a very reasonable price. I think that's pretty cool and a great offering.

I don't think they'll get stuck in that budget category though.

Here in Europe Merc do get involved in cheaper less flash models http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...cars/models/a-class/w169.flash.html#chapter=2

:)

I like the look of these clubs ands anything that would encourage people in these harder times to perhaps buy new equipment and take up the sport has to be good...

Here in Europe Merc do get involved in cheaper less flash models http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...cars/models/a-class/w169.flash.html#chapter=2

:)

I like the look of these clubs ands anything that would encourage people in these harder times to perhaps buy new equipment and take up the sport has to be good...

Interesting you bring up MB, I've been a long-time MB fanatic and recently added a E63 to the garage as a Christmas present to myself - I was very good last year! I do travel to the UK and EMEA quite a bit and notice that MB has a economy line of cars that I always thought were more geared for the the smaller roadways and higher gas prices. I've also noticed that the comparable UK/EMEA versions of the C and E class I have driven have a toned down fit and finish compared to the versions in the states.

this is a the classic case of cleveland raising the bar in their own way, yet again. whoever is in charge over there on these types of decisions is definitely earning his pay. they are beginning to set precedents in the industry, when it's already sink or swim, and they are swimming for sure. i like this move, it's a classic iron that achieved success in the past and will probably achieve it again.

Just noticed the price. Wow. That's a bold move and I like it. Would love to see these at the THP Outing so I can see how they stack up to higher priced lines. I'm a huge fan of the Classics putters.

I agree 100%. I like this move by Cleveland! I am very intrigued by these irons

I think this is a great move by Cleveland. They now have clubs priced for any player, beginner to scratch. With this set, and the hybrids and woods priced very well with premium shafts, I think Cleveland has a big year ahead of them.

JB, what do you think the odds of having this at the outting are? I am very intrigued. I am also thinking if I like them I may just have to buy a set. Why wouldnt you at that price?

JB, what do you think the odds of having this at the outting are? I am very intrigued. I am also thinking if I like them I may just have to buy a set. Why wouldnt you at that price?

I cant answer that yet. No idea really. As we get closer to the outing, we will be able to have a better understanding of what will be out there.

k thanks! I hope these are there, I like the simple design

i have the originals of these irons about 10 feet from me, they were good irons.

I looked up the specs for the TA7 and it looks like it will only be available in "uniflex." I know Cleveland is probably doing that to keep costs down but it seems really limited to not even offer different flex options. Just my $0.02. Still a great looking iron though.

I have found the uniflex to be quite capable of handleing a variety of swing speeds and tempos. I average about 84, but can reliably get up to 104 if I want to, and the shaft seems to cope just fine. (with a 6 iron)

I looked up the specs for the TA7 and it looks like it will only be available in "uniflex." I know Cleveland is probably doing that to keep costs down but it seems really limited to not even offer different flex options. Just my $0.02. Still a great looking iron though.

Last edited:

its funny for the same reason some may not like that move, I really like it. I think it fits many more of the general golfer and beginning golfer that these are geared towards budget wise. It might made for a good feeling iron to them and keep them upgrading "in the company".

Don't get me wrong, I love what Cleveland is doing and I'm excited to give the TA7's a try. At $399, these clubs are an absolute steal. I just found it odd that they wouldn't offer the club in R and S flexes at the very least.

I haven't been able to comment much but I absolutely love these irons. I can't wait to hit them. Maybe I can find some around to demo. Love the looks and they appeal to me.

Back