Cleveland RTX Full Face Black Wedges

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Last summer Cleveland Golf introduced the world to the RTX Full Face wedge, which they billed as a flop shot machine. This wedge proved to be highly versatile around the greens during our on-course testing. When RTX Full Face hit the market, it did so with two finish options, Tour Satin and Tour Rack, which is Cleveland’s take on a raw wedge that will rust. Golfers will now have a third option starting today as the RTX Full Face is getting its long-awaited Black Satin finish

Cleveland-Golf-RTX-Full-Face-Black-Wedge-1.jpeg

“The Black Satin finish has been extremely popular with our customers, so we wanted to offer that finish with our latest wedges,” said Michael Ross, Business Planning Manager at Cleveland Golf...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
The old RTX 2.0 wedges that I had in black wore off pretty quick, but if these are a lot more durable then I could be tempted to go with the black finish again sometime in my wedges as that was my only issue with the last ones

Nice. I have kicked around the idea of adding a high toe wedge. This or the callaway. I think I kinda like these better..

This is a good write up @ddec a sneaky good release by Cleveland. I’ll add these to the short list. I really like full face or at least hi toe grooves. That’s what keeps me hanging on to my Cobra.

• Staff
The old RTX 2.0 wedges that I had in black wore off pretty quick, but if these are a lot more durable then I could be tempted to go with the black finish again sometime in my wedges as that was my only issue with the last ones

those sure did. I had them in the bag as well for a solid 2-3 seasons. I think my pops still has a 2.0CB in the bag.

• Staff
Nice. I have kicked around the idea of adding a high toe wedge. This or the callaway. I think I kinda like these better..

personal opinion, I like the shape here better than most of the Callaway PM designs. Although they did update it with the MD5 release to give those a more streamlined look which makes those the best looking high toe they’ve released IMO.

personal opinion, I like the shape here better than most of the Callaway PM designs. Although they did update it with the MD5 release to give those a more streamlined look which makes those the best looking high toe they’ve released IMO.

I agree.

These are very much a ponder for wedge replacement. They don’t look bad to the eye one bit.

Having gamed black wedges in the past I can say that they definitely help with glare and look so great behind the ball but they were pretty firm because of the process that was used. However they held up to wear very well. @ddec do you know what the black finish is?

The RTX was definitely a wedge option for me last time. Not sure about the black finish. I used to have Cleveland black pearl irons and one of my wedges was also that finish. It wore away the fastest from all of the sand and questionable lies in the rough, pine straw, etc. I am sure the finish is different today than 10 years ago, but I would be more likely to go unfinished than finished.

Great review @ddec. Can't wait to see what people have to say about these wedges. I like the full toe look on higher lofted wedges. Great confidence booster. I also like the multiple finishes these have as well.

I love the look of black wedges and irons. The inevitable wear on them... not so much.

Nice review @Dec those are good looking wedges!

I will take a look at these as I'm going to be getting wedges. I wonder how durable the black coating is.

These look very sharp. I had a set of black RTX4 that I loved.

I live that rust life, but those look good and a welcome addition many. 👍

dangit, I just bought new wedges last year! That full toe groove life has had me really thinking about at least a new 60 though.

Nice addition by Cleveland. As someone that embraces wedge rust, I would still opt for the Tour Rack over the black but would go black over the satin.

@ddec these are great, as is the review. I'm a big fan of the full face wedges - likely my next (first real) set of wedges will be something in this category. Not currently in the market, but once I am I'll be back to these kind of reviews to see how they all finished up.

The RTX FF looks really good, but I prefer satin chrome throughout the bag.

Bask when I played stainless, I didn't like how chromed wedges looked in the bag with the stainless irons.

That stuff should not matter at all, but we like what we like.

I wonder how long the black finish will last…..?

I think I need to try a full faced wedge this year, love the different options

I think I need to try a full faced wedge this year, love the different options
Im not one that struggles to look down at things, so have never really understood the look bothering someone. But I can tell you that for versatility in the thick stuff, being able to still grab debris high and towards the toe.

Im not one that struggles to look down at things, so have never really understood the look bothering someone. But I can tell you that for versatility in the thick stuff, being able to still grab debris high and towards the toe.
I have seen some full face wedges that look "different" at address but these seem to look pretty normal. Around the green I miss out on the toe plenty something like this could be fun

Back