Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack and Black Satin Wedges

I don’t have any crazy stats or numbers, but I do have two rounds and a few short game sessions under my belt. One thing I keep coming back to is how the 54* generates some some spin. Could be fresh grooves, could be the shaft, but compared to my my jaws MD5 I am not seeing the rollout im used to seeing. This is generating a lot of confidence to attack pins knowing the ball will stop or spin back. I’ve been using the 2020CSX so this combo could be producing the crazy spin I’m seeing.

Last edited:
I don’t have any crazy stats or numbers, but I do have two rounds and a few short game sessions under my belt. One thing I keep coming back to is how the 54* generates some some spin. Could be fresh grooves, could be the shaft, but compared to my my jaws MD5 I am not seeing the rollout inside to see. This is generating a lot of confidence to attack pins knowing the ball will stop or spin back. I’ve been using the 2020CSX so this combo could be producing the crazy spin I’m seeing.

Same with spin. On chips and shorter pitches I get more spin from the zipcore than MD5 JAWs. Full and 3/4 swings, very similar spin.

Same with spin. On chips and shorter pitches I get more spin from the zipcore than MD5 JAWs. Full and 3/4 swings, very similar spin.
I hit a several chips/pitches today trying to play for rollout and I hit my spot only to have the ball not move as much as I wanted. I purposefully played the ball in the back of my stance for a low runner and didn’t get the run I wanted.

No on course shenanigans for me this weekend, but I did spend a fair amount of time chipping around my front yard. I'm pretty happy with the heel toe grind overall. Its does a great job when square or open, and while not fool proof it does have enough bounce to do the job. In very wet conditions if you get too loose it will carve whatever swing you put into the ground, easy through the turf but some will want full bounce for very wet. Otherwise, I like the precision it affords and it has a great balance in wet vs dry conditions, and especially favors precision greenside work and approaches. Perfect for what I am doing with my short game.

I have never done much toe down chipping, but I have been teaching it to myself with this wedge, to become more consistent. I will say, the toe relief does seem conducive to setting it upright. Fun club.

Loving the updates and hope the others that received wedges from us drop in and give us some thoughts too.

I have a 54 and 60 on the way, Mid grind both with heel/toe relief grind. Can't wait until they come in and put them head to head against the T-20's.

No on course shenanigans for me this weekend, but I did spend a fair amount of time chipping around my front yard. I'm pretty happy with the heel toe grind overall. Its does a great job when square or open, and while not fool proof it does have enough bounce to do the job. In very wet conditions if you get too loose it will carve whatever swing you put into the ground, easy through the turf but some will want full bounce for very wet. Otherwise, I like the precision it affords and it has a great balance in wet vs dry conditions, and especially favors precision greenside work and approaches. Perfect for what I am doing with my short game.

I have never done much toe down chipping, but I have been teaching it to myself with this wedge, to become more consistent. I will say, the toe relief does seem conducive to setting it upright. Fun club.

Good stuff.

Hit and chipped yesterday in our practice area. Course is wet and soft from the snowmelt. Your words precise and carve are good descriptors for these wedges. Moving through soft turf there is a sense of resistance. Staying deliberate and precise, they carve through. I open the face for most shots. I’m not one to hit many square face chips. The heel grind is great for me. I can use that to find enough bounce to work my shots. I still don’t know what to think about the toe grind.

Playing today. My zipcore team (54mid TR-t&h and 60low) should get a work out. I’ve made a swing change that has me hitting the snot out of my irons. But there is a lot more right to left that I have to learn to control better. Fore-left is appropriate, and wedges are going to have to play well to save some pars! 😎

Playing a lot of good bunkers shots today with the 58. Course is warm and decent bunker conditions, more middle of the road than hard packed or wet. I’ve been finding good spots on the face all day, and the bounce is gliding nicely . This was a good leave on a very slippery pin placement. Was able to save par. Have had a couple nice approaches from the fairway too.

6AB54044-9452-4229-8E11-6D64E7FDA6CF.jpeg
578EFF75-07C4-42EB-91B7-9D5635C2CA2E.jpeg1F2957E8-B5BE-457D-967C-AE664D01CDCD.jpeg

Attachments

• A59389BC-0BFB-4A68-AD7B-E6FD77878C23.jpeg
    A59389BC-0BFB-4A68-AD7B-E6FD77878C23.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Holy CRAP I love this tour rack wedge. I opened it up, hit it square, and everything in between and it was AMAZING. I hit some real nippy shots and it got very, very dirty on the course.

Outdoor season is over here. I was trying to think of what else I can add from testing the tour rack 54 mid with toe & heel grind. I am a big fan of zipcore wedges. Of wedges I have hit recently (MD5, Glide3, T20, MG2), they are my favorite, esp. for shotmaking around greens. Balanced, crisp, precise. Those are my descriptor words. The stock DG spinner shaft shaft is excellent, although I do slightly prefer a lower launch with the Modus3 Wedge 125 I have in the 60low.

I am a fan of the satin, and the polished tour rack raw finish is a touch better yet. I haven't seen much rusting yet and can't say there is a spin difference. This is my first raw club of any kind. If I were buying another wedge today, it would be a zipcore tour rack with the raw polished finish. They look amazing.

The toe & heel grind is fun. I can tell a slight difference on some shots where I open the face but so far don't know that I would order that grind again. I have never had a custom grind wedge. I found the stock mid 54 and low 60 already highly versatile. For those who know what they want, these tour rack grinds are ideal. For me, the stock low, mid, full is likely my best fit.

Thank you again Cleveland golf and THP for the opportunity to test a wedge. I've had a blast, and the benefits to my game from zipcore were meaningful. In fact, a couple of my playing buddies took enough notice that they bought zipcore wedges themselves. (y)

Was able to get out for 6 holes with my wife before the sun went down. It was funny, I missed all 6 GIR. And ya know what? I was excited walking up to every green side chip because I knew I was pulling my 54* ZipCore. I had great success and got up and down on 5/6 holes. I feel like I have tons of control with this club and due to the spin have been able to really go after some pins. The final hole tonight was a par three that I missed short. I attacked the green side chip, it bounced a couple times, spun hard then rolled in the cup for birdie. I yelled to my wife, Zippie!! Really enjoying this stick so far.

🤬 Snow and cold have hampered my testing. I can get lots more sim time with data overload, but these wedges excel greenside. Ain’t nothing green out there right now. Just piles of white.

Funny that my wedge isn’t rusting yet. I played in rain and chipped tennis balls in the snow to the dogs. Cold air holds less moisture. I will monitor.

Same for me regarding the rust. 27 holes and a range session and still not much showing. I am meticulously cleaning it and drying after use, so that might be the reason why? Great, clean looking club face :love:

I'm pretty sure these might have a spot in my bag next year. The Tour Rack options have me really intrigued though I'm still trying to decide on grinds.

I'm fairly certain on 54* Full with S grind. Then I think I'm doing 60* Full with S grind. Probably the only thing on the back of my mind is that isn't my preferred low bounce wide sole grind.

................ Then I think I'm doing 60* Full with S grind. Probably the only thing on the back of my mind is that isn't my preferred low bounce wide sole grind.
Sounds like the same boat I was in. My normal 60*, currently an RTX4, is a Low-Bounce / C-Grind, great for the hard bunkers at most of the courses I play, and the hard-pan lies that are common at some too. When the opportunity to test and review the Tour Rack wedge, I went 60* Full / S-Grind, and am really glad I did. This thing is much more versatile, great out of bunkers with good sand, much more forgiving on full swings, and I can always swap it out for my 60* Low when playing courses that I frequently get into those crappy bunkers. I'm keeping both, but I think the Tour Rack will be in the bag most often.

Two up and downs in the first six holes from sand this morning with Tour Rack. One of them from a filthy half buried lie against the lip. Bunker game going great with this one.

Two up and downs in the first six holes from sand this morning with Tour Rack. One of them from a filthy half buried lie against the lip. Bunker game going great with this one.

That is awesome to hear. The versatility really seems to shine around the greens.

Sandy for birdie 4 ft on 8th. Lipped it... hard.

FB391C74-1071-45B2-987C-9C8EDFDFC11A.jpeg

The short game was lit up today! Between the 58* Tour Rack, the 54* Zipcore, and the 50* RTX4, I had probably a half dozen greenside chips shots cozied up within 5 ft, several to 12-18". Which is a good thing, because my long game was a HOT stinking mess and some of those saves were for bogey :sick:. Bunker play was borderline outstanding.

I had a 3-4 nice saves on the front, and by the back nine the three strangers I was paired up with realized they were witnessing a guy having a scrambling streak. I got several nice comments on the wedge game at various points on the back.

ZipCore life is good.

36 holes in with this beauty and we got a little bit of rust showing. Season might be coming to a close for me in Ohio but definitely planning on getting this thing to my local Golf Galaxy and comparing some numbers with other wedges. Definitely some Winter Florida golf coming as well. Thanks again to Cleveland and THP, the performance on this 54* Mid is outstanding.

2781D1D2-6974-4A29-8280-C4BDC47D64E4.jpeg
04AAE67D-3342-4025-A0DA-3E3A00C1B1BF.jpeg
C9E0618B-B267-4D97-B19D-AF6B5B5F36F4.jpeg

I haven't had a chance to play for a bit over two weeks now, but going out Monday for another round with the Tour Rack 60* Full.

Spin....Spin....Spin..... if nothing else get talked about with this wedge, it better be spin. I am not a very steep angle of attack player with my wedges for several reasons. With the 54 i can take a shallow divot and create a ton of spin. The past three days I had a lot of shots in the 75-40 yd range that required different shots. A low runner, no problem, but make sure you hit the spot because once it lands it will check. Have to get over a bunker, no problem, just swing and the ball will stop within a few feet of the mark if not back up.

One thing that I couldn't get dialed in was trying to land the ball behind the pin and that was my mistake. on several shots from about 60 or yards, I would hit a great shot and the ball would spin back. As someone who struggled with Cleveland wedges before testing this one, I am really surprised and happy to have it in the bag. I still want to try some different things once temps cool down and see how it reacts, but since this has been in the bag, there really isn't anything it can't do for me.

The thing I have noticed the most out of the zipcore is the spin, I don't know if it's due to new grooves as I hadn't played a new/newer wedge for a while, but I am seeing spin on full shots and the shorter ones around the greens like I haven't for quite a while

The thing I have noticed the most out of the zipcore is the spin, I don't know if it's due to new grooves as I hadn't played a new/newer wedge for a while, but I am seeing spin on full shots and the shorter ones around the greens like I haven't for quite a while

Could not agree more. I have never had a wedge that spins like the Tour Rack ZipCore. I feel like I can just land it a few yards from the pin knowing it is gonna spin and check hard. Has given me a brand new confidence from 70 and in.

I love hitting that low check spinner with a brand new wedge.

Back