First Look: Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedges

Been a fan of Cleveland wedges for many years. 588 RTG and Gunmetal and now RTX4. I just got my RTX4 52 and 56 bent 2 degrees weak to better gap from my Ping G700 U wedge. Glad they offer 54 and 58 in the Zipcore. Probably won't switch for awhile. Still love the performance of the RTX4.

Wish this wedge had been a week or so earleir. Maybe I can take back my father's day tie.

What is something that you read about in this ZipCore line that jumps out?

I think the grooves on grooves and sizing to create more spin always intrigues me this is no different. Not a tour player or scratch so the impact of creating spin on wedges is important especially for chips / approaches around the green.

The technology that was seen in the ad / teaser about moving weight to the hosel and understanding how that impacts this wedge aids in play-ability/performance.

i'm still kind of in the camp that a wedge is a wedge. though i'm intrigued by the manipulation of the center of gravity. i wonder whether that would make short game performance easier/better.

I'm about halfway in your camp, but I won't pitch my tent there. When I bought my Glides at a Demo Day, I spent almost ninety minutes hitting almost every shot I could think of with offerings from Ping, Callaway, Cleveland, and Vokey, They were all really good, and I think I could have played with any of them, but as I tried each of them more and more, the Glides and MD4s worked better for me. I bought the Glides primarily because of the grind choices over the MD4. Also probably not a coincidence that Cleveland and Titleist had the most limited offerings on that day. I see differences, at least at my skill level. But then, my last two iron sets played great for me right out of the box, and that never happened before in my golfing lifetime.

It will be interesting to see what Cleveland has built here.

Question for those following along with this thread so far. For years there was a sentiment that a wedge is a wedge and I totally get it. In the last few years, we have seen a few companies really separate with some different technology through weight shift, face tech, etc etc etc.

really like the rtx4 but intrigued by the idea of a slightly improved sole as i do have a rare dig in certain turf conditions. Also the toe miss is not bad in the rtx4 but it is definitely my miss, if the material movement and shifting weight can move that sweet spot out to the toe a bit (and still feel like the rtx4) that would be huge.

Last edited:
Some performance notes. I'm going to focus on the 56 degree to start with, which is mid for the one I am testing. I have mentioned a few times about a wedge that promotes clean contact, which for me leads to more spin. I can dive deep into grooves and such, but will save that for when I have more time on the wedges, because right now they are spinning like a top, but they are brand new and that tends to happen.

Starting working with some clean lie chips at Hammock Beach which has some pretty receptive greens and for those that have played there with me, you know the back range area has that short game section and the green is super holdable. Pacing off 10 yards and working with a medium firm lie, the contact is crisp and the ball takes 2 hops and stops. As if there is velcro on it, I tried it a couple of more times with similar success.

Fast forward to the first round and it really let me attack a few pins, but what was funny is I was coming up short on each pitch shot, because I have been used to a bit more release. I posted in the putter review thread I was testing at the time how I had a number of one putts from the 6-10 ft range and they were all from this wedge leaving me a bit short. Certainly not a detriment, but rather something I need to get used to.

I have multiple practice sessions in with this now and can say that the contact is still quite clean. I get the question a lot about feel and it is really hard to say. For me they feel like a Cleveland wedge. Im going to date back to the CG15 wedge that I was incredibly fond of and the feel is very similar to that for me. The impact sound is full, not real dense, but full and a bit different than the RTX-4 I have been playing for about 2 years.

I will have more coming soon and if you want to join me and the staff in testing these, stay tuned for tomorrow to find out how.

RTX 3 changed their hosel length from lengthy to a more manageable size with the launch of Feel Balancing Tech. They are similar in length with the RTX4 and this being very close.
Right on. I haven't been on the ride since RTX 2.0.

👀 that last part of JB’s post....

👀 that last part of JB’s post....

guarantee that will be skimmed through! Should be exciting! It IS EXCITING!

I’m so excited for these I told my wife about them on our daily walk. That never happens because she doesn’t care but I was that excited. I’m not sure I’ve ever said that about a wedge.

I can’t be alone, right?!

Question for those following along with this thread so far. For years there was a sentiment that a wedge is a wedge and I totally get it. In the last few years, we have seen a few companies really separate with some different technology through weight shift, face tech, etc etc etc.

I’m late to the game here but I think the willingness to experiment and play with unconventional change is what excites me. As a guy that lives toe side with misses, moving the CG that way sounds like a minor miracle

I’m so excited for these I told my wife about them on our daily walk. That never happens because she doesn’t care but I was that excited. I’m not sure I’ve ever said that about a wedge.

I try to steer clear of wife eyerolls :p

But the excitement level is high for me on these. Since the teaser pictures I've been interested, and the actual photos and tech talk have only upped that interest.

You are not alone my friend.

Took my RTX-3 wedges out for a backyard session. Let them know they are on notice, and they better not act up :mad:

Great write up @Jman . I would get these if I didn't just purchase 3 new wedges. Luckily wedges are the clubs that should be changed the most often.

Those are some great looking wedges.. I like that they look beefy but fine at the same time

Look very promising!

Both will be coming later.

Good because I’m just getting comfortable with my SM8’s. Enough time in between for the Raw versions.

The talk about the feel being improved is pretty exciting. It's been fun seeing how their wedges have evolved over the past couple of releases.

@JB, how do these feel weight wise compared to the RTX4? I thought their last couple of wedges felt head heavy which is something I loved, I'm wondering if they feel similar?

The grooves immediately jump out to me. I know fresh grooves will impart great spin, but I’m curious how they wear over time. As someone who doesn’t fill swing his wedges and does a lot of heavy lifting with my 54*, the touch pitch/chip shots is the feedback I’m looking forward to.

7 pages on announcement day... I’d say the world is ready to get these already.

Back