First Look: Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedges

Nice write up. Not sure what it is by looking at the pictures, but something isn't clicking here with me. The back view looks amazing but once I saw the front something looks odd. Maybe the shape is off but can't figure it out. The extra grooves sound great and should help spin.
I want to see these in hand and try them, I don't think the pictures are doing these justice.

Wanted to drop a little update here as I have been testing these out for a while. I will use this one for some of the subjective thoughts on it as I know in the images it doesn't look all that traditional.

Out of the box, they scream Cleveland wedge. If you are a user, you know what I am speaking about. Refined with tech is how I have described the last couple of iterations and this is like that times 1000. The finish is well done in blends well with a number of iron sets and they look super clean in the bag. I will have more in hand pictures coming soon.

The face looks sharp. Not just in grooves, but sharp. You feel as though you are going to get a ton of spin (and you do), but also that it was well thought out and the implementation is darn near perfect.

For someone like me that has been a Cleveland wedge user since high school (that is decades and decades ago), these are not the same Cleveland wedges. The long hosel is not there, they are far more refined, more performance driven and most of all more user friendly in looks. This wedge line says "take me to the thick stuff".

The biggest question I had when reading the tech early on and then getting these in hand was would the bump out bother traditionalists. In my opinion no, but I'm not a purist. It looks crazy natural at setup and the picture in the next post is a 52 degree at setup. As you can see it is super clean looking and inspires confidence, at least it did to me.

More coming up shortly.

I love what I'm seeing here. It sounds like we'll get a lot of what has made their wedges so good and adding some interesting new features. As a Cleveland were homer I'm really curious to see if that ZipCore really makes much of a difference and how it impacts the feel.

EEC0F99C-B519-4A6D-BD7A-6FAC9E6FCE18.jpeg

BE220DB3-9A93-4B97-8108-161B0C9E686D.jpeg

The biggest question I had when reading the tech early on and then getting these in hand was would the bump out bother traditionalists.

that pic looks beautiful. really great looking wedge at address. sorry if I missed it in @Jman 's writeup but what is the "bump out?"

Groves are going on my 64 and was going to replace with the price drop on the 4's. A little nervous about the changes but confident in what they have done in the past every time. Will give these a look before replacing...maybe. Awe man, just read that no 64° available! Good news is I don't have to wait now. Just so confident with my current set. Good stuff in here!

Last edited:
that pic looks beautiful. really great looking wedge at address. sorry if I missed it in @Jman 's writeup but what is the "bump out?"

this might help. See where it bumps a bit?

A877D86F-0008-470A-8A72-6F4215BF5565.jpegE07C41FA-CE57-425E-A607-A2602B34FC3F.jpeg

Am I correct in assuming that the spoon shape filled with compound will shift the sweet spot closer to the middle as opposed to the heel?
Yup

thanks @JB that definitely helps. I don't see an issue at all. still looks really good and I can't imagine ever noticing that at address.

thanks @JB that definitely helps. I don't see an issue at all. still looks really good and I can't imagine ever noticing that at address.

Agree 100%

Definitely no issue, in fact I like it. I could see some seeing it on a rack in stores and thinking “what is that”? But it’s fantastic looking.

Am I correct in assuming that the spoon shape filled with compound will shift the sweet spot closer to the middle as opposed to the heel?

when I saw the teaser pic I assumed the same thing, and it made me wonder about people who are already good wedge players. they've honed a successful, repeatable technique based on "traditional" weighting. would shifting the sweet spot potentially cause some (at least initial) consistency issues if the sweet spot is not where the golfer expects based on previous wedges played?

It’s the beauty of the inner material, it’s letting them change not just the CG but the shape as well, and it’s what allows them to increase the vertical MOI (High/Low)

Good vid up on their site.

Thanks for more pics. Helpful. One thing I don't like is the prominent ZIPCORE on the back. They could have done that with more subtlety. The overall wedge look good and that rather unstylish branding brings it down a notch.

Hey @JB I love Cleveland wedges and currently have the RTX 4 wedges, 50-54-58 degrees, in my bag. That being said they need additional shaft offerings. A 125 gram shaft is not what the average golfer needs even if it says "Tour Issue."

Hey @JB I love Cleveland wedges and currently have the RTX 4 wedges, 50-54-58 degrees, in my bag. That being said they need additional shaft offerings. A 125 gram shaft is not what the average golfer needs even if it says "Tour Issue."
As always, Cleveland offers multiple custom options.

Im not sure in this instance SG.
The DG Spinners are so well liked for a myriad of reasons.
With that said, Cleveland has multiple options for golfers to go custom.

Depends on the golfer and how they use their wedges. If a golfer is matching wedge shafts to their irons, you can see 125g shafts in play.

Im not sure in this instance SG.
The DG Spinners are so well liked for a myriad of reasons.

I love the spinner shaft!! especially on partial swings. If was getting a set of these, I would probably not get the spinner in the lowest loft say a 50 degree. I think it can get a bit loose on full swings but around the green and on half shots. the spinner can't be beat.

I stand corrected.
I prefer a lighter weight softer shaft for my wedges. Much better for feel and touch, IMHO, which is what the wedges are intended for.

I've been playing Glides for a few years now, and my short game has become the cleanest shirt in my laundry pile of a game. They are due for replacement, and these will get a long, hard look. Cleveland does too many things well with their wedges to overlook these, IMO.

James, stellar preview, as usual.

really like these and will definitely try them when the Raw version comes out.... RTX4's stayed in the bag 90% of last year

Back