First Look: Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedges

Me neither. Loved that wedge and still do. In fact I think it is one of the best bargains in golf right now, but I say this confidently, this is a better wedge.
More control, more spin around the green (which shocks me) and a feel that harkens back to the original 588 that I fell in love with. The feel is really hard to describe but it's there.
Can I just say, I didn't need to hear that.....😧

They look fantastic, and I'm looking forward to everyone's feedback. Set for wedges this year, and likely next but will be keeping an eye on the feedback here as I was a huge fan of the RTX3 and 4.

Question for those following along with this thread so far. For years there was a sentiment that a wedge is a wedge and I totally get it. In the last few years, we have seen a few companies really separate with some different technology through weight shift, face tech, etc etc etc.

What is something that you read about in this ZipCore line that jumps out?

Question for those following along with this thread so far. For years there was a sentiment that a wedge is a wedge and I totally get it. In the last few years, we have seen a few companies really separate with some different technology through weight shift, face tech, etc etc etc.

Weight movement, working to increase MOI. Increasing MOI on a blade wedge seems awesome for everyone.

For me, I think that the weight placement that has been talked about in almost all of the other clubs in the bag over the last few years seems like a relatively smaller thing in wedges (or at least not as widely spoken about), or maybe I haven't been paying enough attention to it

Being able to focus the weight in the ideal sweetspot feels like it should improve the performance around the entire club more in my mind

Three things

Redistributing the weight.
Improving the groove durability.
How respected others here have raved about the playability and fogiveness of the RTX4, and how they expect that to translate.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB

I’m a Cleveland wedge guy, I’m excited for the tech in this release.

It appears that they have figured out how to move weight around without the long hosel face balance tech...

This sounds like this is Cleveland’s take on Groves on Groves ...

Also the Dot system on the Cleveland’s is now gone off the wedge. End of an Era .

Awesome write up. I think it’s significant that this isn’t the RTX 5, but it looks like they’ve made some special changes. Need to try these soon!

The weight movement for sure.

What jumped out at me is the saying, radically new and ultra-familiar. Kind of a contradictory statement, but think about it. It's what a lot of golfers want from the clubs they really enjoy. They want the benefits of new tech without changing the looks or feel too much. Obviously the core change, which moves weight to improve balance and raise MOI is the most visible, yet unseen, change. Then the grooves, and the pattern have me intrigued. Something I didn't look at a year ago, and now I notice all these subtle differences. And this one both looks good, and sounds like it will really improve spin and feel. Plus, let's add some durability. I don't want my wedges to just wear out or wear to the point of decreased performance, especially if it performs.

I like familiarity, I like Cleveland, and I like these.

Cleveland and Vokey will always get my attention.
The inner "goo" is something that has been done before. I can recall Nickent for example having wedges and irons with tech like that years ago.
(Wonder if they had to buy the patent?) I'm sure the CAD design process involved now is leaps and bounds better.

Like the sound of ever more agressive grooves. It's a little frustrating to have such incremental improvements with grooves. Having gamed 'ol Vokey spin milled of the past, we get ever closer to where we used to be with the grooves. $99 wedge with aggressive grooves was affordable and fun (minus golf ball destruction, but again, that benefitted the ballmakers. Win-win?)

Any hosel length comparison shots?

Cleveland and Vokey will always get my attention.
The inner "goo" is something that has been done before. I can recall Nickent for example having wedges and irons with tech like that years ago.
(Wonder if they had to buy the patent?) I'm sure the CAD design process involved now is leaps and bounds better.

Like the sound of ever more agressive grooves. It's a little frustrating to have such incremental improvements with grooves. Having gamed 'ol Vokey spin milled of the past, we get ever closer to where we used to be with the grooves. $99 wedge with aggressive grooves was affordable and fun (minus golf ball destruction, but again, that benefitted the ballmakers. Win-win?)

Any hosel length comparison shots?

Have some shots of the last 3 Cleveland wedges earlier in the thread.

Have some shots of the last 3 Cleveland wedges earlier in the thread.
I did see those (I think?) but your hand was over the hosels.

I did see those (I think?) but your hand was over the hosels.

RTX 3 changed their hosel length from lengthy to a more manageable size with the launch of Feel Balancing Tech. They are similar in length with the RTX4 and this being very close.

These have been off my radar (damn virus has prevented me from my yearly upgrades) but the review has seriously piqued my interest. These would blend perfectly with my p790s and replace my 54 degree RTX-4 seamlessly. Looking forward to hearing a lot more about them on the forum.

i'm still kind of in the camp that a wedge is a wedge. though i'm intrigued by the manipulation of the center of gravity. i wonder whether that would make short game performance easier/better.

I’m a huge Srixon/Cleveland fan and me, my son, and my daughter all play RTX wedges. Can’t wait to game a 56* and 60* Zipcore. I will order from my club as soon as they are available.

Have always enjoyed the wedges from Cleveland. But this line looks really impressive. A little similar to the SM8s but with such large lead times on developing wedges, no way they could’ve known they’d be so similar. I’m a big fan though!

i'm still kind of in the camp that a wedge is a wedge. though i'm intrigued by the manipulation of the center of gravity. i wonder whether that would make short game performance easier/better.

I am for anything that can promote clean contact for golfers.
Sole design outside of grind is so under thought in the wedge world and I think Cleveland simplified it a bit to basically make it easier for everybody. Still rounded, but not pronounced and it really does help with impact. Good impact, means more spin, means with some practice, lower scores.

Great write up. I was a little confused with everyone telling @Jman good work. When I read the OP, it was from JB and said continue reading and I didn’t see the switcheroo. I probably wouldn’t have read it if I had known jman wrote it :devilish:

I haven’t played a Cleveland wedge in awhile. I am interested in giving these a try at the pro shop to see how they feel next to my gamers

That’s a lot of tech in a wedge. I do like the looks of this one. But I was stuck on the RTX-3 and how I just didn’t like the look at address for some reason. Couldn’t really get used to it which kept me away of the RTX -4 which probably shouldn’t have as it was well received. Was it trademark/patent issues that kept them away from RTX5 name? I get they want to put the tech at forefront but prefer the RTX-5 name over “ZipCore”. Definitely going to give this a go as the wedges that should be in my bag are the CBX’s and Full face! 😂. Oh, a full face grind release would have been cool in this line but looking at some of the images that toe as milling as well for us folks who like to live out that way on the face! Haha. These in Black and RAW are going to look insane probably!

For me its the new heat treatment for longevity of the grooves. It seems to me that many brands play around with moving weight but to create a technology that improves the life of a wedge-well that got my attention. And have always loved their soles.

For me its the new heat treatment for longevity of the grooves. It seems to me that many brands play around with moving weight but to create a technology that improves the life of a wedge-well that got my attention. And have always loved their soles.

If you have liked their soles in the past, you are really going to like this one. I was just speaking to someone about this, but it is as if they took their sole tech from RTX-4 and didn't eliminate it, but without a doubt refined it.

Back