Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Review Thread

For those that played around with the C for a while, how far out in distance did you feel comfortable giving it a go with the C wedge? I don't mean full shots, but you could give it enough of a hit that you felt like you could get some decent distance out of it.

I used it up to 120 successfully. Lower trajectory obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used it up to 120 successfully. Lower trajectory obviously.

How big of a swing or max swing could you put on it?

How big of a swing or max swing could you put on it?

At 120 that was a full swing for me. Shots from 50-70 yards are doable but require more of a bump and run due to launch. Biggest use that I can see from this club is around the greens, especially for the golfer that tends to chunk wedges and wants to simplify green side shots.

Hit one of these at the course the other day, what I call hilarious fun. Definitely see why they should be in alot of bags.

Since I turned to super thin low bounce wedges, my short game improved. But I'm thinking of adding a chipper for high grass greenside shots, I have 2 more slots in the bag so this is in the radar. How does it performs in mid, TALL, or muddy lies around the green? Looking for about 5-20feet max range. Also considering something with rails for those conditions. Anyone have any recs?

Last edited:
Since dropping my 3W I've dusted the S off and put it back in the bag. Will obviously use it out of bunkers but I've found it handy in the past for greenside chips and pitch shots out of longer grass.

You don't have to trade loft for loft. Anybody can play clubs like this, if they choose to.

One could make the case that anybody that loses strokes around the green might benefit.

I played a Niblick as a 2.1 handicap and never missed a beat.

Honestly it's all about finding an individual's needs to give them the most enjoyment

I’ve been considering this because I chip with several different clubs and it would be much easier to get used to one club. Also have a 3 wood I have to talk myself into using 1 or 2 times a round.

Off and on I've played the original Smart Sole S for the past few years.
Has anybody here played both the original and current (Smart Sole S 3.0) version ? If so, please reply as to how they compare, thanks.

Off and on I've played the original Smart Sole S for the past few years.
Has anybody here played both the original and current (Smart Sole S 3.0) version ? If so, please reply as to how they compare, thanks.

I bought a Smart Sole S version 3 and plan to spend the next couple of weeks comparing it to the original Smart Sole S.
Spec-wise I believe the Smart Sole 3 has a lighter shaft but heavier head weight than the version 1.

I bought a Smart Sole S version 3 and plan to spend the next couple of weeks comparing it to the original Smart Sole S.
Spec-wise I believe the Smart Sole 3 has a lighter shaft but heavier head weight than the version 1.

I found the Smart Sole V3 to be significantly lighter (both head and shaft) than the Smart Sole V1 so I had it reshafted with a DGS300, which is a shaft of the same weight that V1 had.
Especially for green side shots with a high lofted wedge, I do prefer a relatively heavy shaft.

With the way my irons gapped out...I only had 13 clubs. So, a couple months ago, THP had the contest where you had to go look on Cleveland Golf's website for information about their wedges. I saw the Smartsole wedge then and it piqued my interest! I have never been a great bunker player and Budget Golf had these on sale, plus I could use the 15% of coupon. So, I now have one in my bag.

I know these are not new, but I got the S one recently. It's amazing out of the rough, and easy out of the sand.

I used it today instead of my PW for the 10-30 yard pitches with great results.

I'm sure other, similarly shaped wedges are equally effective.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

This wedge has made a huge impact on my bunker play. I am a terrible bunker player, and this club makes it so easy. I just want to get the ball on the green relatively close to the hole. Nothing fancy. And, it does that. Also, it’s basically eliminated that dreaded flub in the bunker where you have to hit it again. One and done.

This wedge has made a huge impact on my bunker play. I am a terrible bunker player, and this club makes it so easy. I just want to get the ball on the green relatively close to the hole. Nothing fancy. And, it does that. Also, it’s basically eliminated that dreaded flub in the bunker where you have to hit it again. One and done.
I went with the Maltby glider in 56 and 60. Have used similar for a long time. Very smart sole.

I went with the Maltby glider in 56 and 60. Have used similar for a long time. Very smart sole.

Out of a bunker, do you just hit them like a normal wedge? No opening them up?

Out of a bunker, do you just hit them like a normal wedge? No opening them up?
Correct Play the shot squared up like any normal shot. With 56 and 60 I have pretty good shot control distance

Correct Play the shot squared up like any normal shot. With 56 and 60 I have pretty good shot control distance
(y) Thank you! For $45 it seems like a no brainer. I might have to call them about a different shaft though because I use PX Catalysts.

(y) Thank you! For $45 it seems like a no brainer. I might have to call them about a different shaft though because I use PX Catalysts.
I have used these type wedges for about 15 years. Different ones. I just ordered and got the Maltby's. The 56/60 with recoil graphite shaft as I play graphite in all clubs. I expect to use these more in grass than bunkers also. The 2 cost $160 shipped

I had a bad fried egg to a really short sided pin on #18 today. I wish I had taken a picture. The ball is sitting halfway down about 2 inches, I have about 3 feet to the lip of the bunker and about 5 feet to the green. I wasn’t sure if I should have been more worried with the plugged lie or lack of landing area. I put the ball towards the front foot, dug in, kept the face square. Just made a good consistent swing, slightly accelerating on the follow through. Ball popped hit hit the green and rolled about 10 feet past. A really good result given the circumstance,

This thing was en fuego this evening! 4 bunker shots…4 balls onto the green! One into the hole for birdie! A random guy I paired up with said I have to get one of these! It looks like it’s cheating it’s so easy. I don’t think I will ever go back to a traditional style wedge, especially in the higher lofts.

This club is still really fun to play. Makes bunker shots easier and allows you to hit some really high pitches around the green.

I hit a little pitch shot today to about 3 feet. I’m starting to use this club more from the fairway and rough. It’s a lot more versatile than you think.

I’m looking forward to seeing where Cleveland takes the Smart Sole line up. There’s a lot of technology they can implement from the RTX and CBX line ups.

I’m looking forward to seeing where Cleveland takes the Smart Sole line up. There’s a lot of technology they can implement from the RTX and CBX line ups.
Which SS are you gaming? Love my 58* SS.

Back