Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice little video. System is easy to understand and make sense. As a recent purchaser of a competitors product I definitely wonder how it performs. Interesting how they went to 58* and didn't offer anything higher, wonder if that will hurt sales by not having the 64* option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
Nice little video. System is easy to understand and make sense. As a recent purchaser of a competitors product I definitely wonder how it performs. Interesting how they went to 58* and didn't offer anything higher, wonder if that will hurt sales by not having the 64* option?

The loft follows their pattern from the SS 2.0 with the 58* only option. With the recent success of another company putting out a higher lofted model, I had wondered if that would change, but Cleveland has had a decent run of success with this system over the last few years.

Agree with #cookie. That was a nice explanation on the tech behind the design and the two models' differences.

I've started practicing getting my chips and pitches running out quicker with the 50. Basically want to simplify any straight forward short game shots. Short sided will use the 60. The 54 is seeing much less use and could be replaced at some point.

One trouble spot is heavy rough and sand. The S makes a lot of sense. Would love to see it at 56 too

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had the 2.0SS and loved it around the greens really easy to hit and chip with. Great club if your struggling around the greens and in bunkers!

The S at 58* sounds like a very good option; I use my 58* almost exclusively for sand shots, and I need all the help I can get in the bunkers. I'm a big fan of club makers putting out gear that helps someone like me have more fun out there.

Do most amateurs need 64* of loft? The audience this is aimed at 58* is plenty and probably most might even use a 56* for most sand shots IMO.

Like the tech and benefits of these. Just tough to find space in the bag for a specialty club.

• Admin
Like the tech and benefits of these. Just tough to find space in the bag for a specialty club.

Can you explain this one further SF? Is the S anymore a specialty club than another wedge?

Do most amateurs need 64* of loft? The audience this is aimed at 58* is plenty and probably most might even use a 56* for most sand shots IMO.

Most? Definitely not.

Me? Yes. Lol. I seriously struggle elevating bunker shots and the 64* Sure Out has worked well in limited testing.

On another note - I've been struggling with 54* within 80 yards and around green so the C may be calling my name. I've had good success with Niblick previously.

Most? Definitely not.

Me? Yes. Lol. I seriously struggle elevating bunker shots and the 64* Sure Out has worked well in limited testing.

On another note - I've been struggling with 54* within 80 yards and around green so the C may be calling my name. I've had good success with Niblick previously.

I can definitely see that for elevation. I would note that just like drivers, there is more to getting something up than just the loft though. Weight placement can be and is as much a contributing factor as the number stamped on the club.

I can definitely see that for elevation. I would note that just like drivers, there is more to getting something up than just the loft though. Weight placement can be and is as much a contributing factor as the number stamped on the club.

Without question. For bunkers (so far) the 64* makes golf easier and I'll take that everyday of the week.

Especially with what I've heard about Cog Hill greenside. :)

Can you explain this one further SF? Is the S anymore a specialty club than another wedge?
With the wide soles, they seem like they would be more difficult to hit full swings shots with distances that gap down appropriately from an iron set. I know a lot don't play full swing shots with their wedges but it is my bread and butter that I try to set up as much as possible.

With the wide soles, they seem like they would be more difficult to hit full swings shots with distances that gap down appropriately from an iron set. I know a lot don't play full swing shots with their wedges but it is my bread and butter that I try to set up as much as possible.

I would offer a counterpoint and say which one is easier to hit full swings with. Your hybrid or a muscle back 4 iron?

I would offer a counterpoint and say which one is easier to hit full swings with. Your hybrid or a muscle back 4 iron?
Definitely a no brainer there. Even cavity back 4 irons strike fear into me. Point taken and would be more open minded to trying the wedges.

I think the real question is can most amateurs handle a 64* wedge? And the answer isn't quite as obvious as it seems on the surface. While it is initially intimidating to set up with a pancake griddle laying flat behind the ball, once you play around with it a bit, it becomes much less so. It's just a wedge, there's nothing scary about it at all, and sometimes loft is your friend.

I do think Cleveland misses the boat with SS line on two counts: first, no higher-lofted offering like the 64* Sure Out. Dave Pelz has long advocated the concept of a X wedge for times when 60* just isn't enough. After playing with the 64* SO for a couple of months now, I agree. And not just for sand.

Second, nothing in between the "S"and the "C". As a big fan of the Niblick line from a few years ago, I find it disappointing that you can't build a short game setup entirely around the SS's. If there was a "G" available, you could do it, but as it is, in order to fill the gap, you have to have add an oddball club into the mix.

They say brevity is soul of wit. Congrats to Brian for his efficient telling the Cleveland story about these clubs. He definitely piqued my interest.

I really like my RTX-2. My miss, off tight lies, is thin shots. JB's analogy about using a 4 hybrid vs 4 iron is interesting (I have a 4 hybrid!!!). I'm looking forward to testing this clubs next month...or sooner, if possible!

Interesting they went back to a chrome look from the black.

I like the look of the chrome better than the previous black one. I'd put the 58 into play for sure.

The concept behind the chipper seems interesting to me - shorter and upright, to make it more of a putt. I like this idea better than the Odyssey chipper, which came in at 7i length.

I agree on the chrome, I think it's a good look and makes the tech in the sole a little more visually pronounced.

Nice little video. I do like the look of this chipper more so than some other recently released models. I don't currently game a chipper but I'm very intrigued. I can't find the disclaimer on the test parameters but the Cleveland site has a comparative dispersion graphic showing the SS3 chipper tested almost two times better dispersion area than the excellent X-ACT Tank; (22 square feet versus 41 square feet). That definitely caught my attention enough to ponder possibly finding a way to fit a chipper into my setup.

Definitely looking forward to trying these out. Not a real big chipper guy but the S definitely has my attention.

I wanna see more tech info on that 3 tiered sole and exactly how it works!

I wanna see more tech info on that 3 tiered sole and exactly how it works!

Amanda Colonies in ~6 weeks???? Fingers crossed but you can test these clubs on the course.

Wonder if either of these could help me with that 30 yard pitch shot off a tight lie over a bunker. Man that is my nemesis lately.

Back