Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

After scrolling through several pages of this monster thread I notice that many who were very positive on the virtues of this club a couple years ago no longer have it in the bag. Any feedback as to why the change?

Currently playing a Cleveland CG 16 58-degree wedge and as much I like it (especially for full swings) I still struggle with consistency in green side bunkers and with thick lies around the greens. Is there some significant trade off's one needs to be aware of on full swing performance with the SS vs. better consistency around the greens or in the bunkers.

On my home course I get quite a bit of opportunity most rounds to hit full swings with the current 58-degree and would need to calculate any sacrifice in scoring opportunities there into the decision to make a change.

Thanks for any feedback

Did anyone who tried the Smart Sole sand also try the Callaway Jaws 58* wide sole (zero bounce)?

it has a wide sole similar to the Cleveland, but not as extreme.

Decided to buy the S wedge. Not sold yet on how useful it will really be out of the green side sand but love it so far when I have to gouge the ball out of some thick rough.

Decided to buy the S wedge. Not sold yet on how useful it will really be out of the green side sand but love it so far when I have to gouge the ball out of some thick rough.

Mine has always been good out of the sand, no need to open the face. I'm not a finesse sand player anyway, just hit behind it and get it out, and I don't care if I take a pound of sand with it. The super wide sole flange keeps me from digging too much and has helped me hit better bunker shots than I normally would. jmho

This club shines out of the sand! Just go at it like a normal shot and let the sole do the work.

I have lost so many shots lately from greenside bunkers it really has me thinking about the s wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has always been good out of the sand, no need to open the face. I'm not a finesse sand player anyway, just hit behind it and get it out, and I don't care if I take a pound of sand with it. The super wide sole flange keeps me from digging too much and has helped me hit better bunker shots than I normally would. jmho

This club shines out of the sand! Just go at it like a normal shot and let the sole do the work.

So far I'm seeing what an earlier poster referenced with the much lower trajectory and a tendency to roll out a great deal. Not giving up yet and will keep working at it. Appreciate the feedback.

So far I'm seeing what an earlier poster referenced with the much lower trajectory and a tendency to roll out a great deal. Not giving up yet and will keep working at it. Appreciate the feedback.

Just to report back. I was the one with the lower trajectory issues. I think the problem was I was trying to play the shot like a normal pitch and was getting some forward press in my hands which delofts the face and was causing the leading edge to dig. Essentially not letting the club work how it's supposed to (letting the bounce of the sole work).

I've now been starting my hands without any press and focusing on just keeping my wrists locked during the swing (no hinge) and it's worked wonders. I like the technique so much I've now started using it not only in the sand but around the green where I need more height. I play a surlyn ball so it also reduces my runout. Almost dummy proofs the contact too.

Just to report back. I was the one with the lower trajectory issues. I think the problem was I was trying to play the shot like a normal pitch and was getting some forward press in my hands which delofts the face and was causing the leading edge to dig. Essentially not letting the club work how it's supposed to (letting the bounce of the sole work).

I've now been starting my hands without any press and focusing on just keeping my wrists locked during the swing (no hinge) and it's worked wonders. I like the technique so much I've now started using it not only in the sand but around the green where I need more height. I play a surlyn ball so it also reduces my runout. Almost dummy proofs the contact too.

I found I was closing down the club face I concentrate on swinging the club out to the right and keeping it from closing.

I have lost so many shots lately from greenside bunkers it really has me thinking about the s wedge.

Dude it's like cheating out of greenside bunkers.

Back