JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
As a few of you may know, I have a little bit of an apparel fetish. Not just golf mind you, but being our current profession, and where we live golf apparel has taken over the closet.

As GG and I ponder our move to Windermere, we have looked at lots of homes, and we never really pay too much attention to closet space (outside of a large walk in). But in our current home, we have 2 large walk ins in the master suite and we each have our own. It is something that we have grown accustomed to and will be interesting if we have to go back.

Now granted these are trivial matters, but sometimes its the little things that come to mind during your move. I keep my golf shoes in our garage (they would overtake our home) and my regular shoes are in my closet on racks. But I am slowly running out of room in my own walk in, what might happen when we have to share one.

Again, trivial matters I know, but something concerning for myself as I order and look at new clothes. Do I bump GG from the master and she can have two others in the house? Do I leave the Master for her and take two others myself? I mean I have more clothes than her and am rather selfish with my clothes.

Have you ever overflowed your closet? Did you just donate and get rid of stuff or did you start folding and using more drawers and shelves? I try and clean out every 6-8 months or so and donate to goodwill, but a lot of this stuff is still perfect and will last for years. This is very serious business here, I have a clothes and they need their space! Help?

How big of a house are you willing ot buy? what I would do and I have seen it done before is transform a room in the new place to one big ass closet. Yeah, it seems like a waste of space, but I guess in your case its not. as long as you have room for an office and a guest bedroom, why not convert another room into a big closet?

Have you considered space saver bags? They can really help if storage space is limited and keeps the clotes in great shape.

No...

But really that is a tough spot. I found using drawers for certain items (boxers, socks, under shirts etc) that didn't need to be non wrinkled really free up a ton of space. I hate folding but its worth the space. So many homestores have all sorts of cool storage options it's actually kind of cool. I'm sure you have seen them but I think two closets would give you tons more options. Like you said you have more clothes anyway.

I'm not the best at organizing though haha. I've only recently tried to keep button down shirts separate from polo's.

Have you considered that we are the EXACT same size and that I have TONS of closet space in my house?

All jokes aside, do you wear shorts and short sleeves ALL the time? I mean rotate with the seasons? and in the chillier seasons cut down from 60 to maybe 20 polos lol.

• Admin
How big of a house are you willing ot buy? what I would do and I have seen it done before is transform a room in the new place to one big ass closet. Yeah, it seems like a waste of space, but I guess in your case its not. as long as you have room for an office and a guest bedroom, why not convert another room into a big closet?

Always wanted to do that, but not in this next house. We need 2 offices, and a guest room and we are not going 5 bedroom right now (maybe some day right?)

Have you considered space saver bags? They can really help if storage space is limited and keeps the clotes in great shape.

Loved them when I lived up north and different seasons meant different apparel. For us though, I wear everything I have (or almost ) all year round. Hard access.

No...

But really that is a tough spot. I found using drawers for certain items (boxers, socks, under shirts etc) that didn't need to be non wrinkled really free up a ton of space. I hate folding but its worth the space. So many homestores have all sorts of cool storage options it's actually kind of cool. I'm sure you have seen them but I think two closets would give you tons more options. Like you said you have more clothes anyway.

I'm not the best at organizing though haha. I've only recently tried to keep button down shirts separate from polo's.

We have California closet systems now with tons of drawers and shelves. Love that! And I already do that, how scary is that part...hehe. Just too many golf shirts. I know, not a bad problem to have.

Wade Garrett says "Way to be mijo."

Yoccos says, "That is definitely a good problem to have man!"
Always wanted to do that, but not in this next house. We need 2 offices, and a guest room and we are not going 5 bedroom right now (maybe some day right?)

Loved them when I lived up north and different seasons meant different apparel. For us though, I wear everything I have (or almost ) all year round. Hard access.

We have California closet systems now with tons of drawers and shelves. Love that! And I already do that, how scary is that part...hehe. Just too many golf shirts. I know, not a bad problem to have.

hmmmm, you def have a tough one to answer here. Arent there people that you can pay to come in and make sure you are getting the best use out of each closet? That may be worth it.

I also noticed in a picture once that you have our belts nicely laid out, I know you like having them easily accessible but I think you may be wasting precious space.

I also noticed in a picture once that you have our belts nicely laid out, I know you like having them easily accessible but I think you may be wasting precious space.

Actually I use a 2 Belt Racks to hold all of my straps (that are in use) and a drawer to hold the rest. The Buckles are up on a shelf next to my watch box.

But this thread was not just all about me (tongue & cheek clearly). I wanted to know how others coped with any apparel problems with space as well.

I have two walk-in's for myself at the moment so I don't have any apparel problems at the moment. My work clothing takes up nearly a full closet though and I need to run out and get another 40 tie rack... my other two are full.

I'll echo what One-T said though. My parents house had next to no closet space. Once I moved out they converted my bedroom to the guest room and then knocked out the wall between their room and the old guest room. Certainly fixed that problem pretty quick. They also made use of the interior of the room. Basically they added several free standing, multi-level clothing racks to free up even more space!

Best of luck JB. I also believe if you get into dire circumstance that you have my shipping address. I'm not sayin'- I'm just saying.

I understand the problem; there are "closet engineers" for this very reason. Might want to look into one. Or you can buy one of those informercial hangers that fold down and save "50% of the space." You can review if for us and see if it lives up to the informercial hype.

Time to purge again too, JB. Use a "cut-off date". If you haven't worn something for say 6 months, 9 months, 1-year, whatever... then it is time to get rid of it. Who cares if it is in perfect condition; if you haven't worn it for that amount of time, then it being in perfect condition obviously didn't impact your decision to not wear it. Time for it to go into the hands of someone who will wear it and likely needs it. Oh yeah, don't forget about the tax benefits.

You've got to purge (donate) as you run out of space.

Have you watched "Hoarders"? :)

You've got to purge (donate) as you run out of space.

Have you watched "Hoarders"? :)

You definitely dont need to worry about that with us. We keep everything to a minimal amount (except for clothes). And EVERY item we have is still worn. Just running out of space ONLY because we are going back to a shared closet.

You definitely dont need to worry about that with us. We keep everything to a minimal amount (except for clothes). And EVERY item we have is still worn. Just running out of space ONLY because we are going back to a shared closet.

I make my wife watch the show with me, I tell her it so we make sure we avoid falling into the same trap. She hoards coffee mugs in her car :D

JB, what about dedicating a room to your apparel? I'm talking about making a smaller bedroom your own personal wardrobe showcase. Perhapes even having a few favorite shirts/belts/hats/shoes on display by themsleves. Perhaps even integrating your staff bag collection in the mix, or moving your clothes to a larger room with the putter collection and practice green would be cool. The key here is presentation, which, judging from what I've seen of your closet, shouldnt be a problem.

JB, what about dedicating a room to your apparel? I'm talking about making a smaller bedroom your own personal wardrobe showcase. Perhapes even having a few favorite shirts/belts/hats/shoes on display by themsleves. Perhaps even integrating your staff bag collection in the mix, or moving your clothes to a larger room with the putter collection and practice green would be cool. The key here is presentation, which, judging from what I've seen of your closet, shouldnt be a problem.

Maybe in a bigger house, but the new house appears to be 4 bedrooms and that gives us the master suite, a guest bedroom, and 2 offices.

Since moving down to the land of endless summer I've found myself accumulating a considerable amount of golf shirts and shorts since they are incredibly more comfortable than anything else in the summer humidity here. That being said I took a look at my closet and noticed two trends. Everyday I either wear the green and gray park service uniform, b-ball shorts and microfider tops or golf attire, so everything else went into rubbermaid containers and now rest under the bed. That left me with more room in the closet...which is quickly filling up with more golf attire :)

Anyone have feedback on those space-saving hanger deals?

I just ran into a similar problem with the move to our new place. The old apartment had us sharing a walk-in closet, but it was about 5'-6' on each side. It was a really tight fit, but it worked. The master in the house we moved to is smaller. 6' across the back, and only about 3' deep. Definite issues for the clothing storage there. Now granted, I don't have quite the wardrobe you do JB, but I do have a pretty decent wardrobe between work and golf (35 polos, 25 camp shirts, 24 dress shirts w/matching ties, 15 pair dress pants, 6 pair golf shorts, 4 suits, and 2 sport coats - jeans, t-shirts, etc all get folded). And Heather did NOT want me taking up more than half the closet.

I ended up adding an over/under setup in the closet on each side, with enough space to hang a camp shirt without being too low. Although I'm surprised you haven't been able to find a place with a his 'n hers walk-in setup. We had looked at several 3-4 bedroom houses that had them, but they were gone when we were ready to sign a lease.

What an interesting dilemma. I think looper makes some great points and I'm sure there's more room than you think if utilized properly. Just find the right place first and the rest will work itself out.

sent from my genius phone!

If you guys are going to a shared closet then, i would give the majority of the master bedroom space to GG and if your office has a closet then use it. she could also use the one in the other office, once agian if it has one. I would be hesitant to use the guest bedroom closet for to much as when you have guests, you have to go in there for your stuff, and it just seems more courteous to use a different closet. I hope that made sense. I have a finite about of closet space so if I buy something to go in the closet then I force myself to take something out. That has really put a hold on my clothes buying.

After taking a look at the newest house, we are giving up the dual closets, but each of the bedrooms has a walk in, so I will leave the Master for GG (its huge at 8x10) and take 2 out of the other 3. It will be tight, but will definitely work.

Seriously though, how often do you have guests staying the night? And would they use the closet or just live out of their suitcase? Why not use the closet in the guest bedroom for the not as often stuff? Things you could just take out if needed before Jacqui and I guests show up?

Just make sure there is a nice sized TV for me your guests to watch. And a desk for my their laptop.

Since we officially found our new home in Windermere, it became official that we no longer have separate closets in our Master suite. GG is taking a HUGE walk in the master, and I am relegated to walkins in 2 out of the 3 guest rooms. I know Im complaining about nothing and it could be a lot worse, but you get used to something, its hard to change. :bulgy-eyes:

Good bye old friend, you have been good to me. While these are older pictures, and the closet shelves are completely full now, they are all I have to remember my friend. Ill miss you.

Spoiler
701092625_CYF7k-L.jpg

701085084_njmHX-L.jpg

701091710_Tuz8o-L.jpg

701091635_bHHJB-L.jpg

701087251_oJhzK-L.jpg

701092290_CPEBj-L.jpg

701092401_NVXzb-L.jpg

701092482_DJjg7-L.jpg

701092543_K5xKV-L.jpg

Holy cow I could never be that organized.

Back