Wow, you will be really close to the THP Outing and Demo Day in Palm Beach this fall.

Fall is always incredibly hectic though as I am a Senator in SGA and in a Fraternity. May-August and December are my best times to actually have a shot at doing something besides working, studying, or extra curriculars...lol. A lot of stuff I'll say "Yeah, I'd love to do that!", then I realize I have very little time.

As for your question about other High cappers clubs, take a good look at the Adams A7OS. They are a fantastic set of clubs.

As for fitting, IMO work out the swing before you get fitted. There is nothing worse than getting fitted to your gross old swing just to revamp the swing and have the clubs not right for you. What I would do to try a couple of sets for clubs in the SGI category, pull the trigger, get a few lessons to work out the swing, then get them fitted. Golf clubs arn't studded tires, you can get the bent any time.

As for your question about other High cappers clubs, take a good look at the Adams A7OS. They are a fantastic set of clubs.

As for fitting, IMO work out the swing before you get fitted. There is nothing worse than getting fitted to your gross old swing just to revamp the swing and have the clubs not right for you. What I would do to try a couple of sets for clubs in the SGI category, pull the trigger, get a few lessons to work out the swing, then get them fitted. Golf clubs arn't studded tires, you can get the bent any time.

I agree with everything you said except one problem. Many times you cannot bend irons more than a degree or two especially in the SGI category. And what if there is a shaft change needed? THen you paid for shafts that do not fit and have to replace them when you could have saved the money and ordered the right type to begin with.

I agree with everything you said except one problem. Many times you cannot bend irons more than a degree or two especially in the SGI category. And what if there is a shaft change needed? THen you paid for shafts that do not fit and have to replace them when you could have saved the money and ordered the right type to begin with.

True. If the place you purchase the clubs at has some sort of simulator then at least you could get the clubhead speed and get the right shafts. If you go Cally's they mostly come with the Uniflex so that would be a nice compermise. In a prefect world it would be best to get your swing to a pretty reasonable level before getting the sticks. And if there is possibility to get lessons with the THP Pro I would jump all over that. Plus he (or any pro) could give you more accurate suggestions for new clubs since he would have seen your swing/problems first hand.

To be honest, my dad usually shoots a 95-102, but his swing is far uglier than mine. He just absolutely demolishes his new Big Bertha Hybrids and has far more consistency. I let my brain get the best of me. I will have a small mistake and will significantly over-compensate.

Like I said before, normally I would say try and do it yourself. But now that I have seen how much minor video instruction can help, go for the lesson

Unfortunately, clubs are not the reason that you are shooting in the 100-120's. Your swing is. Trust me on this. I was shooting in the 120+ range every round last year. I took lessons over the winter and dropped over 15 strokes by my third round of the year. Nothing can come close to replacing even a couple lessons. I have got kind of stuck lately and I am going to take a couple refresher lessons to get back on track. You can analyze your swing all day, but in the end, you will learn more in a 30 minute lesson.

That being said, clubs are really fun to buy and they can help you with your game if they are right for you. Again, trust me on the next thing I say. Get them fit and demo every set you can. If you don't , those pretty new clubs might as well be walking sticks. Really expensive walking sticks. Do it right the first time and you will be so much happier in the end.

I don't doubt there are flaws in my swing, but it is easy to say it's just the swing when most people have at least clubs that used to be decent. These clubs were never decent. I'm headed to Sports Authority anyway to check out some stuff. I'd head down to the Golfsmith in Lutz, but I need to be back by 3 and I don't want to cut it close.

Have fun shopping!

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with wanting new clubs. Hell, I always want new clubs :act-up: I also think that there will be some sets that can help you get better results than what you are playing with now. You won't find many people here that won't encourage you to spend your money on new sticks. But, you will also find people that want to help you save a few bucks (and time/frustration) along the way.

I definitely hear you on the getting lessons part. I will probably look into doing that. I would just want clubs I know I'm going to use that aren't absolute crap before getting those lessons. I guess that's just the way I look at it.

So dont break the bank on new clubs, Buy Irons that arent absolute crap, and once you do get good enough, spend on the big clubs.

Go with Nickent, great stuff, wont break the bank.

I definitely hear you on the getting lessons part. I will probably look into doing that. I would just want clubs I know I'm going to use that aren't absolute crap before getting those lessons. I guess that's just the way I look at it.

Nothing wrong with getting new clubs. MAKE SURE you get them fit for yourself. Many times it is free with purchase. If nothing else, the length lie and shaft.

Nothing wrong with getting new clubs. MAKE SURE you get them fit for yourself. Many times it is free with purchase. If nothing else, the length lie and shaft.

I think you are really in too much of a hurry to get new clubs. If you get fit properly it will be to your current swing. When or if you decide to take lessons I feel you will no longer have a set of clubs that fit your new swing. When I started out I played a used set of clubs handed down from my uncle. I played that set for almost twenty years. I heartily recommend that you wait to buy new clubs and take some lessons. When you are playing better and have a decent swing it will be a great reward when you get fit for those new clubs. New clubs may help a little but in the long run waiting until you are really ready for new sticks will serve you best. JMHO

I hear your opinions and do plan to get a lesson. My goal though is to buy the clubs, get a lesson with the clubs, then have them fitted. I've had short lessons with a pro once and that is why I was down to about a 108 at the end of last summer and I lost most of my shots on the short game (got there quick, chipping and more than anything putting murdered me). Today I went to Sports Authority and tried various clubs by Nike, Taylormade, and Callaway. The irons I really liked more than the others were the DE's. They didn't have the Machspeeds though, so take that as you may. For the Driver and Woods, I really liked the R9's and DE's. I had much more swing velocity and distance with the R9's, but I was slightly more accurate with the DE's. I liked the R9 a bit more and that was the older version, but I know Callaways have better trade in value. I really wanted to get my hands on the Super Tri, but they didn't have it. I was hitting the older standard R9 about 85mph swing velocity and 220-230 distance and the DE driver at a 78mph swing velocity and about 210-220. I really didn't like the Burner or Slingshot irons or the other ones I hit as much as the DE's. I usually only hit my 5I about 145, but I was hitting this DE 6I 155 consistently and far straighter.

Oh, and I absolutely despised hitting the Dymo and Burner Superfast Drivers compared to the R9 and DE.

I hear your opinions and do plan to get a lesson. My goal though is to buy the clubs, get a lesson with the clubs, then have them fitted.

The clubs you are looking at cannot have the lie angles adjusted much after purchase. So fitting after the fact will not work. I guess I am confused. If the fitting is free with the purchase of irons at shops everywhere, why not get it? Even if it is a 30 minute drive, you will get irons that match your swing.

Sorry, but what is DE?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. Diablo Edge.

no doubt you might get stuck with clubs you cant adjust and be stuck with them. fitting is the way to go for sure

The clubs you are looking at cannot have the lie angles adjusted much after purchase. So fitting after the fact will not work. I guess I am confused. If the fitting is free with the purchase of irons at shops everywhere, why not get it? Even if it is a 30 minute drive, you will get irons that match your swing.

i have to agree with this. i could care less what you end up buying, as long as you're happy with your sticks, but it seriously takes just a few minutes to get them fit to you. it just wouldn't make sense not to do it.

Now I'm a bit confused. Why can't you buy them online, then get them fitted? I really don't understand how this all works. Especially considering that the prices at a lot of shops are far more expensive.

Now I'm a bit confused. Why can't you buy them online, then get them fitted? I really don't understand how this all works. Especially considering that the prices at a lot of shops are far more expensive.

a fitting usually requires that your clubs either be a flatter lie or an upright lie (or standard if you're lucky). clubs that aren't forged are tough to bend after the fact, so being fit and having your clubs built to your specs is the best option.

a fitting usually requires that your clubs either be a flatter lie or an upright lie (or standard if you're lucky). clubs that aren't forged are tough to bend after the fact, so being fit and having your clubs built to your specs is the best option.

Especially when it costs the exact same amount.

Back