Club Builders: Favorite Epoxy?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t mean brand, I am pretty much Mitchell Golf exclusively for epoxy.

Do you prefer standard? Quick set?

Have a preference?

I usually use golfworks tour set, unless I am doing irons, in which Ill use something with a longer cure time so I don't feel rushed.

Tour set also

The GolfWorks High Strength Epoxy.
I use it for all club assemblies.
It has never failed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I also use Tour set

I use the Golf Works standard 24 hour set.

standard 24 hour epoxy that I speed cure to be 99% cured in 6 hours

I use the Golf Works standard 24 hour set.
I haven't had very good luck with their 24 hour epoxy. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what, but over half of everything I've used it on has failed sooner or later.

I haven't had very good luck with their 24 hour epoxy. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what, but over half of everything I've used it on has failed sooner or later.

Wow. I have not experienced the first issue with it. Still gaming the 5 wood that I put a shaft in 6 or so years ago and the hybrid is probably around 4 years. I am scared to try anything else since I have had nothing but success with that particular epoxy.

Have only used the standard set and have not had any issues. Will continue to use what has worked, plus I bought 16oz size so I have plenty still to use.

Wow. I have not experienced the first issue with it. Still gaming the 5 wood that I put a shaft in 6 or so years ago and the hybrid is probably around 4 years. I am scared to try anything else since I have had nothing but success with that particular epoxy.
I don't know why. But I've done 2 sets of irons and probably 4 woods shafts using it and have had to redo most of it. I use a 5 minute Loctite epoxy and I've never had anything fail with it. Personal preference I guess. 😁

GolfWorks High Strength and Golfsmith before has served me well in hundreds of clubs over the years.

I took @Sox_Fan 's advice and used a 2-part 24 hour epoxy for my first build and it has held up so far.

Never has let me down. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have too clubs in my bag that I re-shafted about 6 and 4 years ago and they are still going strong.

The GolfWorks High Strength Epoxy.
I use it for all club assemblies.
It has never failed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
This as well. Never had an issue.

Tour Set - always let cure for 24 hours

Hahhahahaha... my bad man. I just found the bottles of the epoxy I used that kept failing and it isn't golfworks. It's PGA Tour Superstore's brand. Sorry! :D

I prefer the slower curing adhesive for club assembly.

I worked for 3M for two decades and sold all types of epoxy and urethane adhesives for the automotive/marine market and still have a dozen different types in my garage. My favorite for clubs is the panel bond adhesive than is used to bond quarter panels/fender/door skins on vehicles. It has a 90 minute work time, 4 hour clamp time and full cure in 24 hours at room temp but like almost any two part epoxy, heat accelerates cure. In this case, if you heat it to 140 for 20 minutes it would be strong enough to play golf with. Nearly every Callaway wood that I’ve owned has has the shaft ferrule come loose and all have been fixed with this 8115 adhesive. The bad news is it requires a special applicator gun and is about $50 for a 6.8 oz tube. Overkill for club repair. ;)

Golfworks Tour Set in warm months and Maximum Strength in winter with heat box (set at roughly 120* F for 12 hrs) it gets cold in my shop - N. Illinois.
Never a failure since 2002 when the head flew off a callaway fairway wood - my first bore-thru! Glad it was my son's;-)

Golfworks Tour Set in warm months and Maximum Strength in winter with heat box (set at roughly 120* F for 12 hrs) it gets cold in my shop - N. Illinois.
Never a failure since 2002 when the head flew off a callaway fairway wood - my first bore-thru! Glad it was my son's;-)
heat is the key to a quicker & better cure

I'll post up the graph sometime, but it's a logarithmic _/‾ curve becoming more elongated the lower the temperature goes

Wait.... what?

How do you speed cure it?
Personally I use a standard space heater set to 1500W in the corner of my furnace room, surface temperature gets to around 140°F. Some people use a foil-lined hot box with heat lamps. You can also buy heat clamps like the tour trucks use from GolfWorks etc.

Epoxy degrades at over 300°F so it's as safe as anything, and greatly cuts down curing time

GolfWorks Tour Set. I don’t have experience with anything else, but I’ve been happy with it.

Back