Club building/repair tools-Home shop tools

VA. Vince

SC bound...
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: 15.1
I have read a few threads in this section about the tools/parts you would need to have a small shop in your house. I am cleaning out one of my rooms to turn into my home shop. I have never re-gripped or anything so what I need is the tools and parts someone would need to re grip, swap shafts and any other work needed for clubs. I am not talking about any equipment like bending or any other serious work, just a small do it yourself home shop. So if you could post the "got to have" stuff and where to buy it. Thanks everyone.

I'm learning to regrip right now too VAV. All I have is a utility knife (box cutter) with a hooked blade, some grip solvent, a spray bottle, the grip tape and that's about it. Did 3 grips last night and all went smooth.

I'm learning to regrip right now too VAV. All I have is a utility knife (box cutter) with a hooked blade, some grip solvent, a spray bottle, the grip tape and that's about it. Did 3 grips last night and all went smooth.

Sweet, my main concern is where to buy from. I shot a lot of competition archery and I would never buy anything from Dicks or any of those places for items needed to repair my bows. So thats my big concern.

Sweet, my main concern is where to buy from. I shot a lot of competition archery and I would never buy anything from Dicks or any of those places for items needed to repair my bows. So thats my big concern.

I got my stuff from Golf Galaxy. Golfsmith had it too. Got a nice utility blade for cheap from Lowes. I spent less than 20 bucks on everything.

Thanks Hoosier, I read one and will check out the other.

golfsupply.com is your friend. As you buy more and more, asked them for a discount :blob:

About twenty years ago I had the broken graphite shaft of a three wood spear through my pants (nearly hitting my ....putter) when the grip got stuck halfway on and I tried to pull it on with the head braced against the wall behind me. My lessons from this:

1. Always use plenty of solvent - and wash it around well inside the grip (I use a tee to plug the hole at the butt end)
2. Get and use a vice with one of those little rubber club adapters so I'd have both hands free while pushing the grip on. This is also handy when you're stripping old tape, butt trimming, aligning the grip, etc.etc.

Also useful is a little plastic "starter" tool for getting the grip over the butt of the shaft easily, as the grip opening needs to spread to clear the .600 or more of the shaft.

I am getting a lesson on club building from my local pro sometimes this spring. I can't wait!

Tappin!

Thanks all, any tips would be great to like Grambo's.

I have read a few threads in this section about the tools/parts you would need to have a small shop in your house. I am cleaning out one of my rooms to turn into my home shop. I have never re-gripped or anything so what I need is the tools and parts someone would need to re grip, swap shafts and any other work needed for clubs. I am not talking about any equipment like bending or any other serious work, just a small do it yourself home shop. So if you could post the "got to have" stuff and where to buy it. Thanks everyone.

Since you are just beginning and not sure how much you'll enjoy club work, here's a list of items you can get for a minimal amount of investment:

Vice
Heat gun or butane torch
Epoxy (get golf epoxy, not from a hardware store)
sand paper
knife (curled end)
Hammer
Lamp oil
thin mixing sticks (you get get them in the craft section at Wal-Mart)
granulated sugar
WD-40
Masking tape

Just got into this myself. Started a small shop in my basement for re-gripping, re-shafting, etc. I have been buying most of my supplies through Golfsmith and The Golf Works. As I said, I am just starting out, but here is what I recommend having around.

I use a heat gun instead of a torch. Takes a bit longer but I have been happy with it over using a torch. I have a Porter Cable I picked up for $35
A vice. Make sure you get one of those rubber clamps from Golfsmith. They cost around $2.
Epoxy with the shafting beads. You can buy these separate or Golfsmith offers an epoxy with shafting beads pre-mixed.
A box knife with the hook blade instead. Makes cutting off old grips and ferules a bunch easier than your typical box knife. But keep a square edged knife around.
A nail file for prepping your shaft tips.
Masking tape.
I keep Goo Gone around. Though I am not sure if it is equipped to clean up epoxy messes, but works wonders on getting rid of "tag" goo.
Of course, grip solvent, strips, ferrules (I recommend getting a divider you can keep them all apart. .355, .370, so on)
I recently purchased some little epoxy mixing cups. Keeps me from having to find a spare piece of cardboard laying around. Like $3 for a pack of 25 at Golfsmith
Also, epoxy mixing sticks (Popsicle sticks). Sometimes, you may have to snap them in half lengthwise to get them to fit in the hosel.
LIGHT! I just had to purchase more light so I can see what the hell I am doing.
Hosel cleaning brushes. Can be purchased at Golfsmith. Use with your regular drill.

VA I am reshafting Matty Kracks J38s. The Thread is called the Matty Krack project. I have a wagner heat gun, a small hand held pipe cutter, glover, opxy. Of course what ever your working on will need to be present. I heated the heads and removed them one at time in 15 mintues. Drilled out the extra glue in the hosel. Cut safts to length in 15 mintues. Glued and set in 30 -45 minutes. No work bench (wish I had room) in my garage. I think start to finish I can do a set in 4 hours.

Thanks everyone, this is what I was looking for. I have most of the things mentioned as I am a Carpenter by trade (tools) Looks like I need to order a few more things like the vice. TAD, I will check that thread out now.

Back