Club Champion Acquires TXG

Watched their first after the sale video today. Got to admit. Felt a little life less..

Watched their first after the sale video today. Got to admit. Felt a little life less..

my thoughts exactly. mikey is a good third person, but he can’t carry half the load. i miss matt.

my thoughts exactly. mikey is a good third person, but he can’t carry half the load. i miss matt.
I’m sure it’ll normalize after a while but it felt a lot more…corporate. This feels like the corner coffee shop that only the it crowd knew got bought by Starbucks. Still going to give it some time and a fair shake. It won’t be the same but doesn’t have to mean it’s bad, just different.

Wow what a shocker!

This is a baaaaaaad day for Modern Golf lol.

I got fit by MG Vancouver in Jan 2020 and the fitter was talking about CC as I had asked if they would match their pricing (back then it was just as easy for me to go to CC in Seattle). They were happy to undercut CC and said it would only be a matter of time before they expanded into Canada. I don't think anyone thought it would be like this though.

I got fit by MG Vancouver in Jan 2020 and the fitter was talking about CC as I had asked if they would match their pricing (back then it was just as easy for me to go to CC in Seattle). They were happy to undercut CC and said it would only be a matter of time before they expanded into Canada. I don't think anyone thought it would be like this though.

Probably an unpopular opinion on this forum, and it is just an opinion, but I would assume it has more to do with keeping TXG out of the US than it does of getting CC into Canada.

Probably an unpopular opinion on this forum, and it is just an opinion, but I would assume it has more to do with keeping TXG out of the US than it does of getting CC into Canada.

Definitely an interesting take. :unsure:

It’s only speculation as I have zero insider information on it. I just don’t see how this truly benefits TXG outside of having deeper pockets now.

I think it just keeps them in existence..

That makes little sense when they can't even adequately expand in Canada.

That makes little sense when they can't even adequately expand in Canada.

How much time do you think it takes to “adequately expand” in any location? How old is TXG and how long did it take to open a second location? Walmart had 1 location for 7 years before opening another. TXG was gaining momentum in the industry and Ian spoke many times of operating in within the US.

How much time do you think it takes to “adequately expand” in any location? How old is TXG and how long did it take to open a second location? Walmart had 1 location for 7 years before opening another. TXG was gaining momentum in the industry and Ian spoke many times of operating in within the US.

I think covid tossed a serious anchor into their progress. Or maybe it was covid threw a serious iceberg into the path.

They even said themselves this allows them to adequately expand. They need to strike while the name/brand matters, not in 7 years, and they know that.

You also assume that they were thriving financially, and views and a backlog of fittings doesn't mean that is the case.

Were they on the brink on extinction?

I think there were some serious struggles happen recently that were completely outside of their control.

i watched ian hit a couple versions of the rogue st. mikey was behind the screen. it wasn’t the same. i’m sure mikey is a great guy, but he isn’t THE guy. not for me anyway.
The number of people, or percentage I should say, that actively dislike Mikey is alarming to me.

Edit: Not that I can blame them. I kind of tune out anyone who looks as lowly at public golf as he does. Kind of goes against the entire spirit of it all to me.

IMO Matt wouldn’t have bailed if not for significant ethical issues with the decision. First video without him had a quality drop, watching Ian test things is dramatically less satisfying, and the driver bracket will never be the same. I get it from a business standpoint but the spirit of TXG will sadly never be the same.

I would not argue with that. However, that doesn’t mean TXG was/is incapable of expanding at some point.

Sure, I agree. But if the get too financially strapped and overrun with debt. It could be a long difficult struggle. I know you are a fitter, I know you run a similar type business. Please do not take this the wrong way as I know nothing about your goals, process, or mindset. But, if you hand two locations, with, rent, full of thousands and thousands of dollars worth of inventory, multiple employees that you had to pay, but only had a small (relative) stream of youtube revenue coming in. How long do you think you could survive?

They even said themselves this allows them to adequately expand. They need to strike while the name/brand matters, not in 7 years, and they know that.

You also assume that they were thriving financially, and views and a backlog of fittings doesn't mean that is the case.

I never once assumed they were “thriving financially”.

Why would Ian and TXG say anything negative about the merger? Of course they would say it opens doors and allows them to do X,Y and Z.

I will add that this much chatter at multiple forums about a company that had two location and was only in Canada being sold to CC.. Is really pretty interesting. It is almost 100% based of the youtube channel and how it will change as well.

Anyone else find that interesting??

Sure, I agree. But if the get too financially strapped and overrun with debt. It could be a long difficult struggle. I know you are a fitter, I know you run a similar type business. Please do not take this the wrong way as I know nothing about your goals, process, or mindset. But, if you hand two locations, with, rent, full of thousands and thousands of dollars worth of inventory, multiple employees that you had to pay, but only had a small (relative) stream of youtube revenue coming in. How long do you think you could survive?

I can only answer on my behalf. I would have never opened the second location when they did. However, if I had two locations, I would first get rid of the second location if I was struggling.

I’ve gone through COVID as a business, granted on a much smaller scale with only myself as a worker for the company. The place I rent space from was shut down completely for 4.5 months leaving me and my family with no options to operate my business. I started this company Jan 1 of 2020, and by March 13th I had to shut down without knowing a date when I could re open. I had a second job in the golf industry that also was shut down indefinitely. So, I sat down with my wife and we came up with a plan. I did fittings and operated my business out of my front yard hitting into a net. It put a massive damper on the business plan and set my goals back quite a bit.

I am not responsible for employees and multiple locations, so I don’t have that pressure on me, but I still have a family (3 children and a wife) that I need to support. It’s easy for me to say what I would have done because there aren’t any consequences riding on my hypothetical choices. I truly hope this helps Ian and TXG grow. I look up to him and his business.

I will add that this much chatter at multiple forums about a company that had two location and was only in Canada being sold to CC.. Is really pretty interesting. It is almost 100% based of the youtube channel and how it will change as well.

Anyone else find that interesting??
I do. I know we're the lunatic fringe, but it shows the impact their media has had on us. And even though we're a small percentage of players overall, our opinions on things more heavily influence the players we're around typically.

The number of people, or percentage I should say, that actively dislike Mikey is alarming to me.

Edit: Not that I can blame them. I kind of tune out anyone who looks as lowly at public golf as he does. Kind of goes against the entire spirit of it all to me.

Mike is an awesome guy. I’ve had quite a few conversations with him and he is always gracious to give his time when he has no reason to. I have no issues with him being in the videos.

Change is hard, especially when you’re not the one who made change happen. Matt is a talented man, but it was the dynamics of him with Ian that made that channel grow. It just worked to have Matt as the tester because he has some innocence to him in the golf industry and Ian as the intelligence and experience. They played the perfect roles.

Back