Club Champion Putter Fitting Report

Chef23

2023 Srixon Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I wasn’t that happy with my putting last year and I have been doing some work on my stroke this winter. I changed my setup to let my arms hang a bit more and I have been trying to get a bit closer to the ball. I was playing with a 35” putter last year and felt like my eyes were too far inside the line and I was having a hard time getting putts started on line.

So I booked a putter fitting at the local Club Champion. As people know it costs $100 and takes about an hour. The fitter Andie is a Class A PGA pro and seemed pretty knowledgeable about the putting stroke. I brought 3 putters with me. A Bettinardi BB45 (face balanced mallet), Odyssey SL 7 (also face balanced) and a SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange. The Betti and SeeMore are (or at least were) 35” and the SL7 is 34.

Andie asked me about my putting, usual miss, what I was hoping to accomplish etc. I talked about what was above and some of the things I was thinking about and working on.

The process after warming up rolling some putts was to attach the sensor to the putter, hit a few putts to make sure you are comfortable with that then roll 7 putts to a hole that was probably 10 feet away. We used the Bettinardi for baseline because that is the putter I played the most rounds with last year. I did choke down about an inch on it because it was obvious when I gripped to the end my eyes were in fact too far inside the line. I made all but one of the putts and most of them were going in the left side of the hole.

The summary my stroke was quite consistent. My path rotated more than I thought I felt I was a bit more straight back and straight through. I aimed .7* closed.

My stroke was 87% consistent and my rotation consistency was 90% which Andie indicated were near PGA Tour level. The Overall Consistency was only 69% because the putter was a bit toe high and I tended to miss the sweet spot a bit toward the heel.

Putter recommendation for me was a face balanced mallet which is what I have gravitated to for a long time. Andie also indicated a wide blade could be a good fit. For adjustments Andie recommended shortening the putter an inch, adjusting the lie to 70* from the 69* it was at and adjusting the lie to the 3.5* recommended. Andie adjusted the three putters I had and watched me rolling putts with all three. It was pretty clear I putted better with the Bettinardi than either of the other putters. Andie offered to shorten the two putters for me that were 35” but I did it myself because I didn’t want to have to come back and I could remove and save the grips.

I took the adjusted Betti to the course today and putted pretty well with it. My stroke is still a bit of a work in progress but I got the ball on line better than I did last year but it is only one round. The Betti has a fairly big grip. The recommendation was actually for a bit thinner grip I may think about trying that out.

I felt there was good value out of the fitting. I never felt pressured to buy anything. I poked around and Andie set up a couple of Sik putters for me try including a Bryson arm lock model but still no pressure. I walked in with two face balanced mallety putters plus the SeeMore. If they had said I needed something dramatically different I probably would have wound up buying something but the seemed to follow what SAM recommended. They had some sweet putters there and lots of stuff you don't see around everywhere.

I attached the complete report in PDF format if anyone is interested in it. I was going to put a few charts in here but I couldn't figure out how to get them attached.

Attachments

• Shaffer, Mark SAM Putter Fitting 2-25-21.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 40
I wasn’t that happy with my putting last year and I have been doing some work on my stroke this winter. I changed my setup to let my arms hang a bit more and I have been trying to get a bit closer to the ball. I was playing with a 35” putter last year and felt like my eyes were too far inside the line and I was having a hard time getting putts started on line.

So I booked a putter fitting at the local Club Champion. As people know it costs $100 and takes about an hour. The fitter Andie is a Class A PGA pro and seemed pretty knowledgeable about the putting stroke. I brought 3 putters with me. A Bettinardi BB45 (face balanced mallet), Odyssey SL 7 (also face balanced) and a SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange. The Betti and SeeMore are (or at least were) 35” and the SL7 is 34.

Andie asked me about my putting, usual miss, what I was hoping to accomplish etc. I talked about what was above and some of the things I was thinking about and working on.

The process after warming up rolling some putts was to attach the sensor to the putter, hit a few putts to make sure you are comfortable with that then roll 7 putts to a hole that was probably 10 feet away. We used the Bettinardi for baseline because that is the putter I played the most rounds with last year. I did choke down about an inch on it because it was obvious when I gripped to the end my eyes were in fact too far inside the line. I made all but one of the putts and most of them were going in the left side of the hole.

The summary my stroke was quite consistent. My path rotated more than I thought I felt I was a bit more straight back and straight through. I aimed .7* closed.

My stroke was 87% consistent and my rotation consistency was 90% which Andie indicated were near PGA Tour level. The Overall Consistency was only 69% because the putter was a bit toe high and I tended to miss the sweet spot a bit toward the heel.

Putter recommendation for me was a face balanced mallet which is what I have gravitated to for a long time. Andie also indicated a wide blade could be a good fit. For adjustments Andie recommended shortening the putter an inch, adjusting the lie to 70* from the 69* it was at and adjusting the lie to the 3.5* recommended. Andie adjusted the three putters I had and watched me rolling putts with all three. It was pretty clear I putted better with the Bettinardi than either of the other putters. Andie offered to shorten the two putters for me that were 35” but I did it myself because I didn’t want to have to come back and I could remove and save the grips.

I took the adjusted Betti to the course today and putted pretty well with it. My stroke is still a bit of a work in progress but I got the ball on line better than I did last year but it is only one round. The Betti has a fairly big grip. The recommendation was actually for a bit thinner grip I may think about trying that out.

I felt there was good value out of the fitting. I never felt pressured to buy anything. I poked around and Andie set up a couple of Sik putters for me try including a Bryson arm lock model but still no pressure. I walked in with two face balanced mallety putters plus the SeeMore. If they had said I needed something dramatically different I probably would have wound up buying something but the seemed to follow what SAM recommended. They had some sweet putters there and lots of stuff you don't see around everywhere.

I attached the complete report in PDF format if anyone is interested in it. I was going to put a few charts in here but I couldn't figure out how to get them attached.
Read through the SAM Lab details it is pretty amazing at all the information that it is capable of capturing about a putter stroke. Out of curiosity your strokes seamed consistent to one spot is that what feels best or is that what you perceive as center on set up? Thanks for sharing.

Read through the SAM Lab details it is pretty amazing at all the information that it is capable of capturing about a putter stroke. Out of curiosity your strokes seamed consistent to one spot is that what feels best or is that what you perceive as center on set up? Thanks for sharing.

It may be what feels/looks like center of the putter to me. I was consistently to the inside of the sweetspot.

My CC putter fitting is this Wednesday! I'm quite excited.

Putter fitting was today. Found out my current putter only had 1 degree of loft, and I delofted by 2 degrees. I also had a tendency to have the face open and rotate a bit too much with my hands. In addition to adjusting the loft to 3.5 degrees, he also had me place the ball more forward in my stance and focus on taking a bit more straight back path in my backstroke (and not rotating with wrists or hands). Those results were really good, and he said he wasn't going to sell me a new putter because the results couldn't get much better. I did try another putter but confirmed results didn't improve.

Putter fitting was today. Found out my current putter only had 1 degree of loft, and I delofted by 2 degrees. I also had a tendency to have the face open and rotate a bit too much with my hands. In addition to adjusting the loft to 3.5 degrees, he also had me place the ball more forward in my stance and focus on taking a bit more straight back path in my backstroke (and not rotating with wrists or hands). Those results were really good, and he said he wasn't going to sell me a new putter because the results couldn't get much better. I did try another putter but confirmed results didn't improve.
That’s awesome. Finding out this kind of info should really help you in the future

I applaud the amount of data available and the fitting that says stay where you are. I took a photo of a series of putters in my house for a friend over the weekend on a whim. What I was telling him was that I was given a strong clue 30 years ago when I picked up my mothers Zebra putter and instantly improved. Took me about 25 more wasted years to figure out shorter face balanced putters helped me. To short circuit so many years would have been amazing. I don't know why I was or my friends are so stuborn and won't let data speak.

That’s awesome. Finding out this kind of info should really help you in the future

Absolutely! Now I'm armed with the knowledge and proper specs so I feel more confident my putting will improve this year.

• Love
Reactions: JB
To provide some data for my fitting.

Here is some key data when I first got there with my putter:
Tendency to have my face open.
1615584803709.png
Only 1 degree loft on the putter plus delofting by 3 degrees led to downward launch. Face Rotation was basically my hands/wrists rotating too much.
1615584875748.png

Here is similar data after adjustments to ball placement (more forward in stance), backstroke (more straight back; less hand/wrist rotation), and putter loft adjusted up to 3.5 degrees. I need to keep practicing the first two:
Better aim and impact:
1615585022397.png
Putter loft led to a positive launch angle, and I rotated my hands/wrists less (still could be better, but it was improved):
1615585106495.png

Back