Club Fitting - Question

NOVA_Hacker

Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
So I'm going to get fitted tomorrow for clubs at this place:

http://www.chuckwillpga.com/

Just played 18 this morning and was beyond bad (had a knot in lower back that wouldn't let up, and greatly affected my swing). My drives were beyond pathetic -think I was 2-14 as far as fairways hit.

So my question is this - should bad golfers like myself get a club fitting? Or should I go get lessons for a while before I go? I'm worried that I might spend a ton of money on new clubs and then go get lessons and improve to the point where my swing mechanics change and I need a new/different type of club (if that makes sense).

Go for the fitting. Even though lessons will help a ton. A good fitting can help save strokes as well.

Also the fitter most likely will pass on some things you are doing wrong. Most fittings I have had, included at least one or two swing fixes I could work on.

Good luck

Im always an advocate for the lessons first. Its what has helped me the most. Why get fit for a bad swing? I got lessons first with stock clubs and developed my swing then got fit. I feel its the best route to go IMO.

Im always an advocate for the lessons first. Its what has helped me the most. Why get fit for a bad swing? I got lessons first with stock clubs and developed my swing then got fit. I feel its the best route to go IMO.

This was suggested to me and I did the same. Although the fitter will make suggestions on your swing, I felt those are just minor fixes. Only an opinion. Others will chime in.

This ^^^^^

I agree with lessons first. What are you planning on getting fit for? IMO, us high handicappers don't necessarily need to go through a full on fitting... but a basic fitting for length and lie should be good enough for now. Lessons plus time on the range and on the course with fitted clubs will maximize your potential for the time being. Over time, you'll know when it's time to go all out with the fitting and upgraded clubs.

Back