Club Fitting Questions

Dartgod

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've searched through some old threads, but haven't really answered my questions.

I purchased a set of TM Rocketbladz irons (4i-AW) online back in March. I've played them a couple of times and several range sessions and am pretty happy with them overall. But now that I've been a member here for several months, I'm reading a lot about getting fitted for clubs and was wondering if this is what I should have done.

Some background on me, I've been playing on and off for 25 years or so and shoot in the mid/upper 90's most of the time. I have only broken 90 once in my life. Never had a lesson, learned by reading and watching others. Never have set a handicap.

My question is, would it be a good idea to have my new clubs fitted? I also have an older TM Burner driver (2007?) and a new TM Rocketballz 3W. What would be involved in fitting? New shafts? Or just angles adjusted to fit me better?

I'm trying to get an idea of the best approach so that I can determine if this is something I can even afford. I'm mainly concerned about the irons because I generally hit my woods fairly well, but have ALWAYS struggled with my iron play.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

I always recommend getting fit. Each person has different swing characteristics and physical characteristics and buying irons not fit for you could end up providing results that you aren't happen with, pushes, hooks, etc due to wrong lie angle, shaft.

You ou can find someone to do a fitting on what you bought and get them set to your specs

There is a local pro shop here that has a Taylormade performance lab. That would probably be my best bet if I decide to go that route. I'm scared of the cost though.

http://robinnigrogolf.com/

Absolutely 100% yes. Even if you don't want to spend big money to get them built from scratch by a fitter, the fitter can give you a very good idea of what your launch characteristics, needed length and lie angles, etc are so that you can look on the used market for something that fits your swing rather than flying blind.

And yes, if the shaft is right, you can always get the length and lies adjusted to your specs for a couple bucks a club.

EDIT: As to the added cost of a fitting...think of how much money you'll waste in switching clubs a bunch of times trying to find the right thing, and all of a sudden it doesn't seem too bad. Believe me, I know!!!

I always recommend getting fit. Each person has different swing characteristics and physical characteristics and buying irons not fit for you could end up providing results that you aren't happen with, pushes, hooks, etc due to wrong lie angle, shaft.

You ou can find someone to do a fitting on what you bought and get them set to your specs

I agree. Get fit (and not at a box store) and see if your clubs need adjusted for lie, length etc.

A fitting is a great place to start

Back