Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm taking Junior Lancer for her first club fitting in an hour or so. I'm very excited as I've never seen this done. The fitter is supposedly very, very good at what he does. I'm pretty sure we need to get her out of ladies shafts. She's going to be fit for both irons and woods. I hope she keeps an open mind.

Kevin

Hope it turns out good for her!

Keep us posted on what she gets fitted for and how she liked the process.

That is awesome Esox. If the fitter works with Project X graphite, please make sure you PM me what number she is. They make great driver shafts.

Congrats to Jr. Lancer, I can't wait to hear how things go. Hope she has fun with it.

man, this is awesome stuff esox....i hope that i am in that same boat with my youngun in a few years. i think jr. lancer is very lucky to have an old man that supports her passion for this game. you're an inspirational father.

I'm taking Junior Lancer for her first club fitting in an hour or so. I'm very excited as I've never seen this done. The fitter is supposedly very, very good at what he does. I'm pretty sure we need to get her out of ladies shafts. She's going to be fit for both irons and woods. I hope she keeps an open mind.

Kevin

how did everything go?

how did everything go?

Having never seen it done, I'm going to say I'm unsure. It wasn't really what I expected. We did settle on where we're going with irons. She tried several, and though she was partial to one type, she's agreeing to another because quite simply she hit them better: higher, farther, and with better launch angle.

We did driver, but her numbers were all over the place. She's kind of between a regular and a senior shaft. The guy thinks the 11* in the Diablo is okay for now, but thinks with a little growth and swing speed she should be in a 10* or 10.5*. He's suggested a "low" priced regular flex shaft, she hit a Graphite Design Aura the best out of several in a 10.5* head, to get used to until the snow flies, then he'll evaluate her in the Spring again for free.

To be honest, I think he got a little frustrated. She did not swing the drivers well inside with the monitor, and was looking at the R9 he was having her hit with a little distaste. You have to understand my daughter. She gets something in her mind, like not liking TM drivers, and won't waver. There were wide variations in launch angles and spin. Then we go outside because he wants to watch her hit so he can see the ball flight, and she hits some really nice shots. I get the feeling he thinks she should have a driver with a deeper face than the Diablo, but she wasn't hitting it well enough in front of the monitor to prove his point. He did not have a Diablo head, no Callaway stuff at all in the shop. TM, Mizzy, and component stuff.

So the iron stuff went well. The driver not so well. I don't think he feels the Diablo in 11* is the club for her, but knows it needs a regular shaft. He told me when she gets just a little stronger and consistent, she's going to want to be out of that driver.

I don't know if that makes sense or not.

Kevin

It makes sense, and for cheaper shafts I really like the Aura line. But rather than changing to a 10.5, a lower launching shaft might help as well. Its hard as a first time and having numbers all over the place. Maybe in the spring, outdoors can be done and she will be more comfortable.

Makes sense to me. How old is Junior? When I was younger I was like that, simply didnt want to even try some kinds.

Great to hear that you support her like you do. I told my parents I wanted fitted and they told me to take a saw to the shaft lol, but I am getting some for christmas.

nah, it makes sense. i think it could be beneficial to also take her to another place that may have more options, as far as choices go. nothing wrong with TM or mizuno but if you are going to make a decent investment into her equipment it might be worth trying as much as possible.

i can only imagine dealing with the preconceived mindset that she may have concerning certain brands. i'll be keen to follow this thread. i also know that you are looking to possibly put some new tools in the bag, did you at least find the fitting process interesting and something that you look forward to?

It makes sense, and for cheaper shafts I really like the Aura line. But rather than changing to a 10.5, a lower launching shaft might help as well. Its hard as a first time and having numbers all over the place. Maybe in the spring, outdoors can be done and she will be more comfortable.

She had launch angles from 8* to 16*, swing speeds from 75-87 mph, and back spin from around 1,500 to 3,200. He was perplexed. She hit a lot of shots that didn't register, too. So the Aura's not a bad shaft? I asked about the Project X. He did not have any, but looked up the stats. Based on what he said, I took it he seemed to think those were pretty "beefy" in a regular for where she's at right now.

Kevin

She had launch angles from 8* to 16*, swing speeds from 75-87 mph, and back spin from around 1,500 to 3,200. He was perplexed. She hit a lot of shots that didn't register, too. So the Aura's not a bad shaft? I asked about the Project X. He did not have any, but looked up the stats. Based on what he said, I took it he seemed to think those were pretty "beefy" in a regular for where she's at right now.

Kevin

I actually like the Aura quite a bit for a stock shaft. The Aura Red performed well for us. PX shafts have a lot of different ranges. While they are "high end", you can usually find one that matches up to a swing.

I actually like the Aura quite a bit for a stock shaft. The Aura Red performed well for us. PX shafts have a lot of different ranges. While they are "high end", you can usually find one that matches up to a swing.

Well, again, I'm not sure exactly how this went. I guess it would be tough to match one when the numbers were all over. He'll put the Aura in for a pretty low cost. For barely more than what I see I can buy one. I might do this as an experiment. He charged me the price he quoted for the iron fitting, plus a little more for the driver work, but less than he quoted. For the time we were there, the price seemed reasonable. Maybe it's tough to fit kids.

TC, I'll probably be standing pat with my stuff until I figure out where she's at. I'm fighting some "golfer's elbow" or something, and may take a few weeks off and ride with her and talk her through a few rounds to work on her course management.

Kevin

It sounds perfectly normal, I had my first "fitting" @ 15 and I was set on what clubs I wanted before I started. My dad let me win and I did not get the clubs that I hit the best. This was a mistake on my and his part, getting what you hit best (esp at that age) is most important.

If you can tape over the brand of the clubs and just have her hit them with out knowing what it is, you might be able to get the point across.

As stated above, you might want to take her to another fitter just to double check the numbers and maybe give her a chance to hit more brands.

Kevin

Based on what I've been reading here, the wide range of swing speeds, launch angles and spin rates suggests that she simply doesn't have her driver swing figured out yet. Consequently, trying to fit her to a driver head and shaft would seem premature at this time.

Why not static fit her to a driver head she likes (whether it's an OEM head or a Component head) along with an "off-the-rack" shaft that fits her average swing speed and then let her work with that until she develops a consistent swing with measurable results?

Once she establishes a predictable baseline, she can then be custom-fitted in greater detail because she'd then have some solid numbers to which various components can be compared and tested and through which she can be more accurately fitted.

Just a suggestion. :confused2:

-JP

Based on what I've been reading here, the wide range of swing speeds, launch angles and spin rates suggests that she simply doesn't have her driver swing figured out yet. Consequently, trying to fit her to a driver head and shaft would seem premature at this time.

Why not static fit her to a driver head she likes (whether it's an OEM head or a Component head) along with an "off-the-rack" shaft that fits her average swing speed and then let her work with that until she develops a consistent swing with measurable results?

Once she establishes a predictable baseline, she can then be custom-fitted in greater detail because she'd then have some solid numbers to which various components can be compared and tested and through which she can be more accurately fitted.

Just a suggestion. :confused2:

-JP

That's kind of the plan. We know she's fast enough to swing a regular, so we'll probably put the low end regular in it and see how that goes until the snow flies. Actually she's quite consistent on the course with her driver, but it didn't translate yesterday.

Kevin

Back