Club Recommendations for SHIFTY

SHIFTY

Orgasm Donor
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Well lots of threads on fittings. I've never had a fitting before and think this year its time. Looking for recommendations for irons/wedges/drivers to try. I will not be fitting my existing clubs, I will be going new.
I play almost everyday. Summer Real world, Winter Sim world.

I currently am shooting;
ping g400lst driver
Cleveland HB launcher 3w and 5w
Taylormade 2 iron p790 (switch between it and the 5w depending on course)
Cleveland CBX irons
Cleveland CBX and CBX2 wedges

Now I won everything Cleveland at the shootout hosted by THP @JB and Cleveland Golf. I cannot stress enough how awesome and forgiving these irons are. They feel like cutting butter. Best clubs I've owned by quite a bit! Cannot thank you guys enough!

But me being 6'2" I feel they may be a little short, especially the long irons? And maybe I'm progressed enough to get something else past the Game Improvement Irons?
Should I be looking at distance or players irons, cast or forged? What is the logical progression I should take?

And the wedges are great. I think I want to get sized for bounce and grinds. Any recommendations on these?

I know when you are getting sized, you cannot try everything. I'm looking for suggestions for types of irons and wedges, and drivers I should try out.

I'm a 6-7 hcp with a lower than normal ball flight. I've almost defeated the OTT swing, but it rears its head again ever now and then, but not bad. Mostly straight ball flight with slight draw is the norm.
My driver swing speed is 110+mph and ball speed 150-165 depending on the day. Some days I'm the man just smashing them down the middle 270 carry, other days I'm 260 total. That's probably one reason of many why my scores fluctuate so much. I think my rotator cuff injury from years ago has something to do with that. And due to that my swing at its max is only at 10:00 cannot backswing more than that.

Here's a little info about my club distances from last summer from garmin, even though those are total distances, when I'm swinging well my carry is slightly further than those numbers, I don't usually get warmed up until the 7th hole unless I go to the range before hand;

1611857320592.png
1611857357586.png

Last edited:
I would go in with an open mind. I honestly wouldn’t ask for anything specific unless I just had something I really wanted to try. Most people seem to get the best results just being honest with the fitter and allowing the fitter to select shafts and heads to try and dial it in. I try not to even know what it is I am swinging so my brain stays out of it. To me it is the best way to be open minded.

ZX5/7 series irons!!!

I would go in with an open mind. I honestly wouldn’t ask for anything specific unless I just had something I really wanted to try. Most people seem to get the best results just being honest with the fitter and allowing the fitter to select shafts and heads to try and dial it in. I try not to even know what it is I am swinging so my brain stays out of it. To me it is the best way to be open minded.
Good point.

ZX5/7 series irons!!!
Srixon? I could try that. I loved my Clevelands and remember seeing some beautiful Srixons at the factory. Thanks

Go in with an open attitude. Let the fitter put clubs in you hands and hit them with an open mind. Your gapping looks a little funky in the 2-5 iron and again in the 6-7. I would try to fix that.

As another has said, go into it with an open mind but you may want to look at a combo set since the distances bunch up around the 2i, 4i and 5i really hard.

As another has said, go into it with an open mind but you may want to look at a combo set since the distances bunch up around the 2i, 4i and 5i really hard.
ya true, although the 4i number may be a little misleading, as I use it on one hole all the time, but only go back to 9:00 with it, as its a perfect distance. When I'm almost always going back to 10:00 with everything else. When I'm thinking of distances on the course my 4i is my 215 club.
As for the 2i is misleading due to the fact I can only hit it off the tee, when I try in the rough its only going 175 a little heavy. If it was just off the tee, I'd say it was 230-235 distance on avg. and really straight. I only use this on a local links course where fairways are the only way you will score ok. Other than that I use the 5 wood 85% of the time and 2i stays at home.
Could for sure use a few more clean shots in those clubs you listed. I'm sure fitted would make a ton of difference, as when I'm shooting well I do not have trouble hitting long irons, on bad days... I do.

I've never been able to hit a hybrid, but haven't tried in about 3 years.

Definitely will be going in with an open mind. Thanks for your input man!

Go in with an open attitude. Let the fitter put clubs in you hands and hit them with an open mind. Your gapping looks a little funky in the 2-5 iron and again in the 6-7. I would try to fix that.
Ya the 7i is probably one of my most used clubs. On my sim its pretty consistent around 168 carry. But ya gapping a little close there. Thanks.

Unless there is something you really want to hit, just let them pick the clubs and work from that point. If he hands you something that doesn't meet the eye, tell him/her and move on.

Dude. Just my observation but I think there's something wrong with your gapping. You've got the same distance with your 2-5 irons. I don't think that should be the case in an ideal world... Is that what you're wanting? I thought irons were supposed to have around 10 yards between them.

D - 286
3w - 248
5w - 225
2i - 206
4i - 204
5i - 200
6i - 185
7i - 164
8i - 155
9i - 144
PW - 136
50w - 127
54w - 113
58l - 101

If you like the clubs, maybe see whether there's a better shaft option for you and have the clubs reshafted. Check the dispersion and accuracy, whether spin is a factor for you... and distance of course. Also see if the irons are at the correct loft, lie, and length as well...

Your clubs have 10 yards between them from your lob wedge to your 7i.
Your 6i goes almost 20 yards further than your 7i
Your 5i goes almost 20 yards further than your 6i.
Your 5, 4, and 2 irons are the same distance wise. <-- Maybe club loft is messed up?

And club recommendation: Callaway's new Apex offering. They're really nice from what I'm hearing here on THP. Really nice.
And, of course, the new Srixon clubs are just gorgeous!

Yes I know my gapping is a little congested at points, I won't be fitting those clubs. What I'm asking is should I be going from game improvement to distance irons, or players irons. Or is my hcp still to high and stick with Game improvement.
Will for sure go in with an open mind, but should have a general starting point I would think??? I've never been fit so unsure.

I'd even be open to game improvement for high irons and players for others. I'm Clueless.

And should I look at brands such as ksg, and wishon?

Last edited:
Another problem is no Club Champion in Canada. Closest place I've seen with really good reviews is in Edmonton (6 hour drive). So due to Covid, will have to wait till spring I'm thinking. But I'm saving now, lol

And club recommendation: Callaway's new Apex offering. They're really nice from what I'm hearing here on THP. Really nice.
And, of course, the new Srixon clubs are just gorgeous!

I've heard good things about the Apex's

I like the idea of going in with an open mind, but I'd also have a few clubs/shafts that I'd be interested in testing...

I like the idea of going in with an open mind, but I'd also have a few clubs/shafts that I'd be interested in testing...

This is the right attitude. When I got fitted I started out letting the fitter suggest options and we zeroed in on a club. There were a couple of things I hadn't tried and I asked to try those. One of my list was what we had zeroed in on and was better than the other clubs I was interested in.

This is the right attitude. When I got fitted I started out letting the fitter suggest options and we zeroed in on a club. There were a couple of things I hadn't tried and I asked to try those. One of my list was what we had zeroed in on and was better than the other clubs I was interested in.
I think this is so important! I'd hate to have that feeling later wishing that you'd just asked to try something... left wondering if it could have been the unicorn.

I think this is so important! I'd hate to have that feeling later wishing that you'd just asked to try something... left wondering if it could have been the unicorn.
I really haven't been following which irons are the most popular, so pretty sure the fitter can have free reign so to speak in the fitting.

I have been following a few driver threads, and have some ideas, which heads I want to try, but am open to anything.

I'm sure shafts will be chosen on my SS, and ball flight (mine is lower with the driver than it should be), etc. I've always had steel shafts on irons, but am open to anything.

As for Wedges, I'd like to try Cleveland RTX's, Vokeys, any other top ones I should be aware of?

Since I will be driving quite a ways once this happens, I will get everything done in a day or two. Maybe even a putter fitting :unsure:

Callaway JAWS, Mack Daddy
Ping Glide

For wedges

Back