Club slipping out of hands...

Danilo

Master Blaster!!
Reaction score
Handicap
17.xx
We see it in the movies, some clumsy character swings away, and the club actually flies out of his hands... Has it ever happened to any of you?

I was out in the front yard hitting some found balls into the empty lot across the street/canal, and an iron slipped out of my hand, and flew about 150-175 ft. Luckily it flew into the empty lot, so no harm done... But it was kind of scary! That will be the last time I hit without a glove! And it's time for new grips!

It happened to me on one of the few times I came close to a hole-in-one. We were playing a par 3 course in a downpour one day. My 9 iron finished just short of the green and the ball came up a foot short of the cup.

I've never seen this happen in person and have always wondered how it could happen.

Were your hands sweaty?

The only slipping a club has ever done is at impact in my hands. Other then that, I've never come close to a club flying away. I don't grip very tightly either.

My old Adams A7 can attest that clubs can fly! It was raining while i was on a par 3 and off the tee she went flying... straight into the pacific ocean!!!

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

A friend I used to golf with years ago was on the first tee taking some practice swings. You know the first tee, a lot of times there is a bunch of people gathered around watching people tee off? Well, this was one of those times. He hadn't even put a tee in the ground yet as the group before us had just teed off and drove away. But he gets up on the tee box and just starts taking these slow easy swings.

On about them third or fourth one, he loses it on his follow through and all you hear is a WHOOSH-WHOOSH-WHOOSH sound. He watches it fly through the air maybe 50 yards or so (he got a lot of height on his throw so it was in the air a long time). He never even looks around, just starts walking down the fairway to the club, picks it up, comes back, head down. He gets up to the tee box and I said "That was cool, can you hit the ball that far?" And he just looks at me, grins and shakes his head. It's time to tee off, I go first, to give him a few seconds.

I don't remember what I did, nor what the other two guys did, but he striped one right down the middle. As we are driving away, he says "I've never been so embarrassed in my life." At least he hit a good shot and gave everyone a good story to tell later that day!

Once, approach shot on the 11th it was bucketing down with rain, glove saturated grip saturated the club just slipped!

I've never seen this happen in person and have always wondered how it could happen.

Were your hands sweaty?

The only slipping a club has ever done is at impact in my hands. Other then that, I've never come close to a club flying away. I don't grip very tightly either.

high Florida humidity, 80F out, and no glove... my hands had some moisture to it... it was maybe the 7th or 8th ball I hit, plus a few practice swings... it was awesome/terrible at the same time. The grips are leather, and well worn.
google maps measured it out to be aprox 183 ft. from take off to landing, the ball made it just over 110 yards.

Thanks, I will look into that! I have about a dozen Nike gloves that I really love, and have never had an issue with, but the reviews on that make me want to try it.

I also used to use Nike gloves, not any more. I strongly suggest you try one out, no more club slippages :D

when i was younger it was shortly after the big bertha driver came out i was on 9 which run along the creek and is a long par 5, the tee box is seriously 2 foot away from the creek with only trees seperating it, it was raining and i took my swing and sure enough i launched that darn driver about 15 foot in the air over the trees and actually cleared the creek and landed on the bank on the other side, it was something special lol

Not accidentally.. I have thrown a club or two back in the day. Back when I was obsessed with being good at golf. Now I just go out and have fun which had translated in to getting better. Funny how that works eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never had it happen and I play 99% of the time without a glove, and I never recall seeing it happen in person. I guess now after reading this thread I can look forward to whooshing a club down the fairway soon.

Florida humidity and a slick grip almost caused me to toss a driver in a lake. I was so scared id do it again that I wore two gloves.

Posted via Tapatalk

We see it in the movies, some clumsy character swings away, and the club actually flies out of his hands... Has it ever happened to any of you?

I was out in the front yard hitting some found balls into the empty lot across the street/canal, and an iron slipped out of my hand, and flew about 150-175 ft. Luckily it flew into the empty lot, so no harm done... But it was kind of scary! That will be the last time I hit without a glove! And it's time for new grips!

When was the last time you changed your grips? What type of grips do you have? Living in FL with the heat and humidity, you may want to look into a corded grip. I use the Golf Pride New Decade. Those grips with a decent golf glove, you'll never have to worry about this happening again.

Didn't actually throw the club, but I had my left hand (glove hand) slip completely off at impact. Reminded me of the old Charlie Lau baseball swing method...............

When was the last time you changed your grips? What type of grips do you have? Living in FL with the heat and humidity, you may want to look into a corded grip. I use the Golf Pride New Decade. Those grips with a decent golf glove, you'll never have to worry about this happening again.

Some of my clubs have golf pride tour wrap leather grips, the iron that went flying is one of those. I have some corded grips on some irons (mixed set, see sig)
It is time for new grips... and Pure seems to be at the top of my list!

Back