Club Work vs New Clubs (Wedges)

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve recently come into a “favorite” shaft and swing weight... the question is simple.

if you had existing wedges in your bag / garage would you spend money ordering shafts / grips plus installation costs from a shop versus buying new wedges outright (with the desired shaft / specs mentioned above).

Im not entirely sure on the cost saving as I haven’t inquired on what a shop would charge to pull and install a new shaft.

I’ve recently come into a “favorite” shaft and swing weight... the question is simple.

if you had existing wedges in your bag / garage would you spend money ordering shafts / grips plus installation costs from a shop versus buying new wedges outright (with the desired shaft / specs mentioned above).

Im not entirely sure on the cost saving as I haven’t inquired on what a shop would charge to pull and install a new shaft.
Depends on the wedge I suppose. If it's older and could stand to be replaced, I'd probably gravitate towards replacing it and custom ordering what I wanted.

In our market, there's only one option for club work. It's about $35 to pull and install a new shaft. Then add the cost of the replacement shaft and a grip. Guessing those two would be roughly $40+ more dollars. So, I'd be dropping about $75 to get the wedge to the spec I wanted.

No. I have all that stuff, and I replace my wedges every 6 months or so. I love them, but they are the first to go.

I always go for fresh grooves, the shaft I want, and desired specs. I am more likely to tell a clubmaker get me the new head and put in this shaft and grip.

If I wasn't doing the swap myself, I'd sell the wedges I had and get the new ones done the way I want. Cost of the shaft and grip, and the work to do it, adds up in a hurry.

like some mentioned it depends how much you love the current wedges or how old they are

looks like you currently play 3 wedges so youre looking at $30 for 3 grips, anywhere from $70 - $180 total for shafts depending what you get, and usually about $15 per shaft install. Minimum total cost roughly $150 w/ tax and shipping of shafts

I would sell the current wedges for a good price bc you'll get more for them compared to a trade in and then order the desired combination you want

but if you're gonna stick with the PXG wedges then it might be worth keeping those and building them since they are not cheap

Back