Clubfitting session 2 - encouraging!

Shook

Shooktacular
Reaction score
Handicap
I went for my first club fitting in November. I was disappointed in the launch monitor results, because I thought I'd had a decent swing developed. My driver swing speed was only 85-87 on average. Worse yet, the monitor showed I was coming out-to-in a whole 8° on average. My stamina was bad too - I could only hit balls for about 45mins before i got tuckered out. I decided to work on my swing before buying any new equipment.

I went back this past weekend and it was so much better. My driver swing speed averaged 94-96! This added about 30yds to my drives. My out-to-in wasn't perfect, but I got it nearly straight - only 2° on average! And this time I stayed for an hour and a half, and hit 60-70 balls without getting fatigued. The club fitter was shocked at my improvement and said he'd have to throw out all the results from my first fitting.

I didn't take any lessons the last 4 months. I read a couple books on swing dynamics, and read a bunch of books on the mental game to help me relax and focus. I did minimal weight training (1x per week) and cardio about 2x per week. I spent the last month focusing on flexibility. I stretched 3x a day, mostly on my hips & back. I tried hard to get a solid rotation. I use the orange whip as well a couple times a week. I also lost about 10 pounds in the process.

Since it was the winter I didn't have much time to practice my swing changes. Just 1 range session, and 1 actual round. I was amazed at how quickly everything took effect with mostly building the swing in my mind (on a side note, I was also a bit hungover from a March Madness party the day before my fitting. So I hope I'll be even better at full strength).

This was by far one of my most encouraging days of golf. Now my focus is getting my swing speed over 105 :)

I would encourage anyone to try and gain swing speed but it is not the end all to great golf. At 52, my SS is hanging on around 90 and I'm still able to score well. I'd love a little more SS but at my age and because of my surgery last March with lingering back issues, I'll just take what I have.

Hard work no doubt pays off in golf. I play with a lot of guys that can outdrive me on nearly every par 4 and par 5 but I'm a pretty accurate player and I'm a big believer in that accuracy trumps distance, but distance is good if you can control it. My advice as shared by my PGA Teaching Pro, is that it is great to work on gaining SS, but do it in small steps so as to not sacrifice accuracy.

The mental side is also very important. I don't let any negative thoughts come in to my mind while golfing. If you think you can't, you can't. A great football coach will always tell and running back to "hang on to the ball", never "don't fumble the ball". Same in golf. Never tell yourself to not hit it OB or in another trouble spot, always tell yourself to "hit the fairway" or "hit the green" etc. Never a negative thought.

I'm interested in all these aspects, so thanks for the insights. I'm 55 and trying to come back to golf not having played much in the last 3 years.
I would be interested in any specific exercises that improve flex, turn and range. But I agree, I don't want sacrifice accuracy for distance. I think my driver SS is about 90 max. I'm also hoping a new fitted driver will help as my current one is old and just bought second hand so was never fitted.
Also like the mindset comments, always think positive.
thanks guys

I'm interested in all these aspects, so thanks for the insights. I'm 55 and trying to come back to golf not having played much in the last 3 years.
I would be interested in any specific exercises that improve flex, turn and range. But I agree, I don't want sacrifice accuracy for distance. I think my driver SS is about 90 max. I'm also hoping a new fitted driver will help as my current one is old and just bought second hand so was never fitted.
Also like the mindset comments, always think positive.
thanks guys

The main stretches I did for my hips were simple: sit in a chair and rotate shoulders one way; hold for 30 seconds. Repeat twice.

Second stretch: sit in a chair and cross one leg, so your ankle is on your knee. Lean forward and push down on your knee a bit. You should feel a stretch in your glutes. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat twice.

Then some good 'ol fashioned leg stretches. Touch your toes, try to do splits, etc.

I also wouldn't sacrifice accuracy for distance. But flexibility reduces effort. I can put just as much effort into my swing as before, so I'm still in total control, yet I'm actually 10mph faster.

Back