Clubs for the girlfriend

nicklongdrive

"It's complicated" with the PGATSS
Reaction score
Handicap
OB
Alrighty, I may be breaking the cardinal rule here, but whatever, I'm gonna get her a set of clubs so she has something to do since she misses being being able to play some sort of sport. I took her to Top Golf and with a little a bit of my expertise (I'm not a great player but it seemed the concepts were enough for her to get it) and she actually a lot better than I expected.

A couple of things to note about her, she's definitely far too tall (5'11") to use the lady's clubs and will probably be swinging it faster than the average lady amateur in no time. So, I am looking at some of the following to get her into some decent used clubs from eBay and FB Marketplace in regular or senior flex.

As far as what to actually pick up this is what I am looking for:
12* driver of some sort with a big friendly head, nothing specific here (Ping G5 perhaps?)
5 wood of some sort to help pop it up in the air versus a 3 wood (have seen some Cobra oversized options with lots of offset that look perfect)
3 hybrid of some sort (Adams Idea or something?)
4-PW Tour Edge Hot Launch 4 iron wood set (seem like really easy to use clubs that can't dig into the ground)
Gap wedge and sand wedges (some affordable high bounce option recommendations of some sort would be great)
Scotty Cameron X-5 that I will just let her have since it just sits in my apartment

At the end of the day, any help sourcing these clubs would be great!

Might find something on Golf Club Trader Facebook page. I see a lot of things pass through there and sometimes you can find some good prices.

Maybe have her go to a store and swing some men's clubs and compare to womens. Tera is the same way but doesn't like the extra weight of the men's versions. Just a thought.

If you can get her in to Club Champion while fittings are still half off that could help point you in the right direction. Even if you are looking for something a little older and cheaper you might at least get an idea of shaft weights and profiles, head weights/styles, etc.

Maybe have her go to a store and swing some men's clubs and compare to womens. Tera is the same way but doesn't like the extra weight of the men's versions. Just a thought.

She swung the men's clubs at Top golf just fine and didn't complain about them being too heavy (they are a bit heavier). She instantly gravitated towards the hybrid/tall wood so I am looking for something that is confidence inspiring behind the ball. For a raw beginner head profiles are going to boil down to being light enough and look friendly behind the ball. I think that's more of the recommendation I am looking for. No reason to take her to the store and feel like I need to spend extra at Golf Galaxy or CC since the money spent on a pseudo fitting for a beginner is just a waste.

How light are the clubs Tera uses?

If you can get her in to Club Champion while fittings are still half off that could help point you in the right direction. Even if you are looking for something a little older and cheaper you might at least get an idea of shaft weights and profiles, head weights/styles, etc.
Just a heads up. CC fittings are only half off if you make a qualifying purchase afterward.

I just bought my wife a driver from golfworks, Maltby M890, 14deg with LL M890 shaft, she isn't swinging above 60mph yet. Had it built to 44.5" but she is just under 5'10,so 45" would probably work.

$119 plus tax & shipping.

The whole M890 line is probably the most affordable for getting into the game.

Just a heads up. CC fittings are only half off if you make a qualifying purchase afterward.
Nope. Every January all fittings are half off. No purchase necessary.

Nope. Every January all fittings are half off. No purchase necessary.
I'll be honest, I had a very poor experience at the CC near me. They charged me about $900 more for the set of irons I ordered that I ended up having to get a refund for and then purchased at through another shop.

I am also doing this as a surprise so going to the store with her is going to somewhat ruin that. I just want to show up with a bag and start smacking balls. I started playing with a random set of Burners, Cadillac branded irons and a $10 putter. I don't want it to look like a horrid set but I don't want to spend out the ass. I'm realistically not looking to be in for the whole set of 12-14 clubs for more than $400. There's just no reason to spend that much as long as they are forgiving and friendly to look at clubs.

I am not going to argue with you on the internet. They do it every single year November to January. I have taken them up on this offer myself and so have many others. Believe what you want.
:rolleyes:

It's been discussed on this forum already that they aren't doing the same deal this January. Believe what you want.

Alrighty, I may be breaking the cardinal rule here, but whatever, I'm gonna get her a set of clubs so she has something to do since she misses being being able to play some sort of sport. I took her to Top Golf and with a little a bit of my expertise (I'm not a great player but it seemed the concepts were enough for her to get it) and she actually a lot better than I expected.

A couple of things to note about her, she's definitely far too tall (5'11") to use the lady's clubs and will probably be swinging it faster than the average lady amateur in no time. So, I am looking at some of the following to get her into some decent used clubs from eBay and FB Marketplace in regular or senior flex.

As far as what to actually pick up this is what I am looking for:
12* driver of some sort with a big friendly head, nothing specific here (Ping G5 perhaps?)
5 wood of some sort to help pop it up in the air versus a 3 wood (have seen some Cobra oversized options with lots of offset that look perfect)
3 hybrid of some sort (Adams Idea or something?)
4-PW Tour Edge Hot Launch 4 iron wood set (seem like really easy to use clubs that can't dig into the ground)
Gap wedge and sand wedges (some affordable high bounce option recommendations of some sort would be great)
Scotty Cameron X-5 that I will just let her have since it just sits in my apartment

At the end of the day, any help sourcing these clubs would be great!

I think I’ve got a 12* Adams in senior flex in my club room. My kid played it until he was hitting 85ish miles CHS. Then he moved up to the next, a 10.5* in R Flex. Very forgiving head, I can’t recall the model but it was a good enough head we just moved him up to the next one. It’s older but 460cc.

If I do and you want it, shoot me a lowball offer, lol. It

I think I’ve got a 12* Adams in senior flex in my club room. My kid played it until he was hitting 85ish miles CHS. Then he moved up to the next, a 10.5* in R Flex. Very forgiving head, I can’t recall the model but it was a good enough head we just moved him up to the next one. It’s older but 460cc.

If I do and you want it, shoot me a lowball offer, lol. It

Smiter always coming through clutch, sent you a message.

I'll be honest, I had a very poor experience at the CC near me. They charged me about $900 more for the set of irons I ordered that I ended up having to get a refund for and then purchased at through another shop.

I am also doing this as a surprise so going to the store with her is going to somewhat ruin that. I just want to show up with a bag and start smacking balls. I started playing with a random set of Burners, Cadillac branded irons and a $10 putter. I don't want it to look like a horrid set but I don't want to spend out the ass. I'm realistically not looking to be in for the whole set of 12-14 clubs for more than $400. There's just no reason to spend that much as long as they are forgiving and friendly to look at clubs.
I wouldn’t buy from them in most cases. They are high on their prices. The only good thing is if you get it from them and they don’t work for you there are some guarantees built in. It is just a good route to go for a fitting because of the amount of options available. Very few places, at least around here, have pretty much every major head and shaft available.

If your willing to spend $400 you can buy a new ladies starter kit at a dicks or any sporting good store for less.

If your willing to spend $400 you can buy a new ladies starter kit at a dicks or any sporting good store for less.

Box sets are usually crap quality and I can't get my money back out of them if she ends up not using them that's my only reason for not going that direction.

She swung the men's clubs at Top golf just fine and didn't complain about them being too heavy (they are a bit heavier). She instantly gravitated towards the hybrid/tall wood so I am looking for something that is confidence inspiring behind the ball. For a raw beginner head profiles are going to boil down to being light enough and look friendly behind the ball. I think that's more of the recommendation I am looking for. No reason to take her to the store and feel like I need to spend extra at Golf Galaxy or CC since the money spent on a pseudo fitting for a beginner is just a waste.

How light are the clubs Tera uses?
She has the Cobra F8 pink women's set. Didn't say anything about getting a fitting.

Don’t buy ladies clubs if she has any kind of club head speed. My gf uses A flex in all her clubs, and she likes the heavier weight of “mens” clubs. She has a softball background if that comparison helps.

She has the Cobra F8 pink women's set. Didn't say anything about getting a fitting.

Sorry, I combined 2 replies into one. The fitting comments were meant for @Stryker.

Reactions: J4U
Don’t buy ladies clubs if she has any kind of club head speed. My gf uses A flex in all her clubs, and she likes the heavier weight of “mens” clubs. She has a softball background if that comparison helps.

Yep, she is going to have some club head speed pretty quickly from being a volleyball player.

If you haven't already checked it out, Callaway Pre-Owned is a good place to find deals on clubs. They have a great reputation here and are very honest about the condition of the clubs they sell.

If you haven't already checked it out, Callaway Pre-Owned is a good place to find deals on clubs. They have a great reputation here and are very honest about the condition of the clubs they sell.

I did check it out but well out of the price range for a beginner bag with pieces and parts that will get replaced fairly quickly. I am just trying to get her into a comfortable starting point to minimize the frustration of hacking the ball.

So far I've got on order:
Ping G25 12* senior flex (this just felt like the biggest hurdle already met)
Cobra high launch 16.5* 3 wood ladies flex (super cheap so this is just to have more options)
Cobra high launch 20* 5 wood ladies flex (same as 3 wood so it will probably get replaced in 6 months)
Ram Easy Out 56* wedge (should give her some confidence with a more lofted wedge that is hard to blade and dig with)

I also have a bid out on Tour Edge HL4 4-PW which should be a fantastic fit for her.

Just a thought, but if she's a newer golfer and looking for confidence behind the ball, might be worth throwing in a couple of other hybrids in place of the 4i and possibly 5i as well? Certainly a 4i isn't the easiest of clubs to do anything with at the best of times, at least for me..

Little late to the party and I didn’t catch your girlfriend’s age or athletic abilities but my wife plays the Callaway Great Big Bertha lineup from last year and Jaws wedges except driver is an X-Hot that she loves.

Couple things I would recommend, particularly as it affects someone new to the game in that they are typically tentative in their swing, thus slower swing speeds. Higher lofted drivers (12-14*) so they can get airborne, lots of GI hybrids and GI irons. Plus if your X5 putter doesn’t work, let her eventually pick something else out for herself for some future celebration (e.g. gift card). Good luck.

Back