Cobra AMP CELL Driver & AMP CELL Pro Driver Preview

Not usually a cobra fan but the AMP Cell Pro is looking nice!

these are very nice looking drivers. I like the color selection too, that's a nice personal touch

I'm really thinking I'd start the Pro in the 9.5 fade setting, but I can't wait to try all that in person for sure!
My j40 is 440cc like the amp cell pro is. I'm leaning towards it. I don't feel like I warrant a 460cc head. But I could be looking at it all wrong.

My j40 is 440cc like the amp cell pro is. I'm leaning towards it. I don't feel like I warrant a 460cc head. But I could be looking at it all wrong.

Do you mind me asking why no 460cc?

Tapatalking on my iPad 2

Is it a made for kage or the real McCoy

I think I am going to go with the Amp Cell- not the pro. I want the ability to use the draw bias if needed.

I'm really excited about these drivers! I can't wait to hit one.

I hit the Amp Cell last weekend in Sarasota and its still one of the my favs. It never disappoints, it's a solid offering from Cobra. I'm excited to see the colors you all choose.

Tapatalking on my iPad 2

i've just had such good luck with J40. My SF 2.0 was 460cc and i didn't find as many fwys. I know its more of the shaft difference i think. but Dude I have no idea which way I'm going. I was thinking out loud.

i like the shape of them, and the stock shafts are pretty good.. colors i can handle. looks like it will be a good club.

Tapatalking on my iPad 2

i know that when choosing models in the Cleveland Classic, the difference between the head shape/size for me was huge. i flat out disliked the 460cc heads that were in the 270 and 290 model. that and the fact that my R11 was also a 440cc head, led me to ultimately choose the CC 310.

The AMP Cell driver is obviously different from that...but i have gotten the chance to swing it already, and the 460cc head didn't bother me, even though i've yet to be able to compare it to the Pro model. But, with my game...it would be all about the loft change. I would go up in loft, before I start going down, so that's why i don't think the Pro model would be beneficial to me.

i know that when choosing models in the Cleveland Classic, the difference between the head shape/size for me was huge. i flat out disliked the 460cc heads that were in the 270 and 290 model. that and the fact that my R11 was also a 440cc head, led me to ultimately choose the CC 310.

The AMP Cell driver is obviously different from that...but i have gotten the chance to swing it already, and the 460cc head didn't bother me, even though i've yet to be able to compare it to the Pro model. But, with my game...it would be all about the loft change. I would go up in loft, before I start going down, so that's why i don't think the Pro model would be beneficial to me.
Thanks for clarifying that, I can't wait to compare them side by side, but have been leaning Pro for the fade bias.

Any information on the offset? I wonder how much difference there is between the Amp Offset.

I would think they would be pretty similar technology wise.

ddec and icey: That's my initial thought. I read on another site that Cobra admitted to adding more loft (than what was stated) on their AMP heads. Evidently this wasn't supposed to be happening on the new adjustable Cell. I wonder though about the Offset though.

I love the Amp Offset, but I'd like a little lower ball flight. I'm hoping that the new model with the different shaft and possible head changes might offer that. I'm just curious to whether the head is actually going to be different in the Offset, particularly related to the loft. I was wondering if anyone with ties into Cobra would know.

ddec and icey: That's my initial thought. I read on another site that Cobra admitted to adding more loft (than what was stated) on their AMP heads. Evidently this wasn't supposed to be happening on the new adjustable Cell. I wonder though about the Offset though.

I love the Amp Offset, but I'd like a little lower ball flight. I'm hoping that the new model with the different shaft and possible head changes might offer that. I'm just curious to whether the head is actually going to be different in the Offset, particularly related to the loft. I was wondering if anyone with ties into Cobra would know.
I haven't read anything like that from Cobra, I'd be curious where that press release was.

Watching these in play with Rickie this week has been awesome, I love the look and sound!

I haven't read anything like that from Cobra, I'd be curious where that press release was.

It wasn't in a press release. It was supposedly one of their design reps talking about the Cell and comparing that with the Amp. The Cobra rep evidently said that they'd lost some better players they felt due to the effects of this additional loft. It was implied that the adjustable Cell didn't see this.

The Cobra rep also said that many in the industry are doing this. To this point, there have been some interesting posts in the forums about people having the lofts on their clubs and it not aligning with what is stamped on the face. Some are lofted weaker and some are lofted stronger.

This kind of leads me to my questions about the Cell Offset. I'm hoping one of our members who is more linked in with Cobra could verify this.

As I hit the Offset also, I appreciate this concern. Have you thought about changing shafts instead of buying the new driver? The AMP is a great driver, just flies the ball a bit high...maybe this is a better approach to solving the problem???

I'm hoping we see a few more these AMP CELL drivers in players bag's this week with a full field event. The headcovers look awesome!!!

As I hit the Offset also, I appreciate this concern. Have you thought about changing shafts instead of buying the new driver? The AMP is a great driver, just flies the ball a bit high...maybe this is a better approach to solving the problem???

Yep. I think if I wait though, I could probably do the Amp Cell Offset swap for cheaper than a shaft change.

Also, I'm under the impression that the most I could really see change with a shaft is 1-2 degrees on a launch monitor. Am I wrong on that?

If Cobra knows this and is going to a more true to stamped loft head and pairing that with a slightly lower launching shaft, then my one concern might be fixed.

I find myself looking more and more at Cobra stuff than I use too. Will definatly have to try them out next time I redo my bag. Maybe its the orange that draws me.

Back