Cobra AMP CELL Hybrids & Fairway Woods Preview

I still find the original the easiest to hit, especially off the deck. Maybe I just found one of the gems though.

Sometimes things just work. It is the deepest face of the three though, was a lot of fun to sit down with Cobra R&D and hear them explain the evolution of their fairways with the goals of making them just as good off the tee but better off the deck with each iteration.

OOH! I actually just found the info from that meeting...

The equator of a golf ball is 21.33 mm off the ground, the equator of the fairways has been:

AMP: 21.65 mm
AMP Cell: 21.6 mm
BiO Cell: 20.2 mm
Baffler: 17.25 mm

Reason for the continued evolution is that they knew the AMP and AC were fantastic off the tee, but difficult for the majority to hit off the deck because the equator of the club was above the equator of the ball. So the goal with the BiO was to get it below the ball and not sacrifice the tee game, which the Bio Cells in the design allowed the movement of weight to do just that. The equator of the Baffler being so low is why SOOOOOOO many have such success with it off the deck. As time has gone on, fairways have been more focused on off the tee than the deck, some like Cobra are starting to see that and dial it back to try and find the best mix.

The equator of a golf ball is 21.33 mm off the ground, the equator of the fairways has been:

Reason for the continued evolution is that they knew the AMP and AC were fantastic off the tee, but difficult for the majority to hit off the deck because the equator of the club was above the equator of the ball. So the goal with the BiO was to get it below the ball and not sacrifice the tee game, which the Bio Cells in the design allowed the movement of weight to do just that. The equator of the Baffler being so low is why SOOOOOOO many have such success with it off the deck. As time has gone on, fairways have been more focused on off the tee than the deck, some like Cobra are starting to see that and dial it back to try and find the best mix.
Very interesting and nice to know. But for me I seem to have troubles with those shallow faced fairway woods. I was never consistent with the baffler or an Adams speedline lp. Both of which I killed demoing but never got them to work on the course.

Makes a lot of sense, really enjoyed the progression of these...so good.

In the final lead up to the Morgan Cup, I threw this in the bag yesterday and cranked the loft down to 14. I will have a Mini Driver @ 14 in the bag, so I wanted to get something that was similar loft wise that I can get used to hitting off the tee. Yes I do understand that the internals of the clubheads are different. I haven't had this club in the bag since the very early part of the season. To say that I was wondering why it hasn't been in the bag all this time is an understatement. Used it off of 5 tee's and hit 4 of the fairways, with the one miss being playable and about 15 feet left of the FW. I think I am going to keep it in the bag for the next couple of weeks just to see what happens when using it as a driver alternative.

This is the next club on my radar (3-4 wood), although I don't think I'll be able to make it happen soon. Just loving this whole line; whole bag has almost been sold and traded out to these.

Back