Cobra Amp Forged Irons

TheLongBall

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm really interested in these irons. They sound like something between that will be a more forgiving players iron. I know these haven't been released yet, but has anyone heard or seen much from anyone that has an inside scoop? I'd love to have something with less offset but a little more forgiving than some of the other players irons, and these seem like they could be it. Is that everyone's take? Will THP be testing these? I could do without orange grips though... the orange in the cavity is more than enough color for me.

Yes THP will have a set of these at the THP Demo Day.

I hit them for a few minutes at a demo day and wasn't overly impressed. They didn't have that "forged feel" everyon talks about, and didn't seem overly forgiving to me. I thought they could end up being the best of both worlds, but they seemed to be the opposite instead.

I wish I could be at the THP demo day. So they have them at current Cobra demo days?

I wish I could be at the THP demo day. So they have them at current Cobra demo days?

They did at the one I went to, and that was a month ago.

got a chance to hit these today at golftec i actually thought they felt good... i wasn't hugely impressed with the looks and they are very heavy compared to my R11s, the 2 tungston weights really add a lot of weight to the clubhead but i thought they felt pretty good. Top line looked good at address and although they were smaller clubhead wise i was making solid contact. I did Love that they have the KBS Tour shafts in them. I think KBS is money right now. they feel so good and really made me feel where the clubhead was in my swing. didn't really get any distances or anything but snapped a quick pic

IMG_0979.jpg

I like the way they look, I just wish you could order them in different colors!

Not a bad looking club. Maybe just a tad to much orange.

I have been dying to try these I love my S3's and I found a demo day in a couple of weeks. Anyone know the price point in CDN I cant find a website with them listed.

I have been dying to try these I love my S3's and I found a demo day in a couple of weeks. Anyone know the price point in CDN I cant find a website with them listed.

should be released next month i think or maybe later this month i forget what he said... anyway they are not currently released why you can't find them yet and also heard they will be releasing a forged blade next year sometime.

I wish these came with black grips and Orange highlights.

Those are sexy. I have to say Cobra has stepped it up as far as performance and appeal goes. The Long Tom 2 wood is one hell of a club

Tapa Slice

I hit these when I did a club fitting a few days ago . Lovely feel and good distance and forgiveness . Liked the shafts bit not the orange grips . The price point in the UK seems to be about $150 more than a set of Mizuno JPX irons ( which felt better to me) bit I would definitely give them a try .

I'm not digging the looks for some reason. the orange doesn't bother me but there's just something about them that does. :shrug: I'd still try to hit them though if I can get a chance.

Really enjoyed the 5 iron I hit on the simulator about a week ago. Thought it had good forgiveness, and looked good at address to me. I'd definitely suggest hitting them if you're looking for new irons. I liked them, but liked the RBZ's just a little more :bananadance:

I like them. Can't wait to hit them. And I dig the orange grips.

After ddec brought these up in the AMP Cell Pro irons thread:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...ll-Pro-Irons&p=2092269&viewfull=1#post2092269
I'm remebering spendign some time with these last month and how surprised I was that a forged iron actually performed well for me.
http://www.cobragolf.com/2012-cobra-amp-forged-irons
Advanced Material Placement in a forged iron offers playability and forgiveness.

Trusted and tour proven, these irons have the best of forged performance combined with Advanced Material Placement to offer the best of both worlds—playability with forgiveness.
ESSENTIALS

• Vibration Dampening
  • Tungsten Insert
  • Forged Technology
STOCK SET COMPOSITION

• R&S: 4-9, PW & GW

PLAYER PROFILE

• Why Buy It?
    We get it. You’re a player.
    What Are You Buying?
    Forged feel and Tour accuracy. Yummy.
HEAD MATERIAL

• Irons #3-7: 1-piece forging: S20C Steel; Irons #8-PW

• Advanced Material Placement (AMP)

AMP Technology is applied individually to each iron in the set. The irons feature high MOI tungsten inserts (3-7 iron) and progressively larger CNC milled pockets (3-9 iron) that redistribute weight for higher launch and more consistent distance on off-center hits.
    [ Learn More + ]
  • Vibration Dampening

Exceptional feel through vibration dampening is delivered through a thermoplastic rubber (TPR) aluminum medallion and TPR insert, both of which are positioned in the cavity and behind the hitting area.
    [ Learn More + ]
  • Forged Technology

For better players, we have utilized the forging process to deliver the ultimate iron. The forging process provides an iron with a more uniform and aligned grain structure. The result is a very precise, smooth sounding and great feeling iron.
    [ Learn More + ]
Shaft

Custom Shaft Options
Custom Shaft Options
us12s-ampforged-kbs.jpg

KBS TOUR

The KBS Tour shaft incorporates an all-new performance driven design offering a unique combination of performance and feel for the better player. Incorporating a unique MOI-Advanced Step Pattern that promotes better energy transfer with a series of firm shaft design features, the KBS Tour shaft combines the benefits of a stiffer shaft with the smooth feel of a softer design. This unique combination of shaft geometry allows players to achieve a piercing ball flight and tighter shot dispersion while enjoying the benefits of responsive feel and shot workability. Introduced in early 2008, the KBS Tour shaft is today widely available in every major manufacturer’s custom department and regularly trusted by several of the top Tour players in the world today.
Model Flex Length Weight Torque Ball Flight Balance Point
AMP R+ 37.5" - 41.5" 115g 2.05 mid-low 52%
AMP S+ 37.5" - 41.5" 125g 1.95 mid-low 52%

Grip

Custom Grip Options
Custom Grip Options
us12g-lamkin-rel3gen.jpg

Lamkin R.E.L. 3Gen
2012-amp-forged-1.jpg

They are great irons. A nice balance of everything you could want in an iron.

It's been a year, anyone have these? Thoughts?

I have been gaming these since last summer. I have enjoyed every shot. These are very soft feeling and have a good amount of forgiveness packed into them. I went from and old set of Burner 2.0 to these and suprisingly I didnt lose any distance which suprised me a ton considering both sets have "jacked" lofts compared to traditional sets. I was expecting to lose at least 1/2 club worth of distance but willing to do that to get the forged feel. The only thing I dont like about the stock set is the grips. Not because of the color but they get slippery quick in damp conditions. I think this set is a good gap between the AMP Cell Pro and the AMP Cell for the low-mid hdc golfer that wants a forged feel but no quite ready for the almost blade like AMP Cell Pro. Any specific question you have about the set?

After ddec brought these up in the AMP Cell Pro irons thread:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...ll-Pro-Irons&p=2092269&viewfull=1#post2092269
I'm remebering spendign some time with these last month and how surprised I was that a forged iron actually performed well for me.
http://www.cobragolf.com/2012-cobra-amp-forged-irons

2012-amp-forged-1.jpg

Thanks for posting this Icey. These are a great medium between both the cell and pro. I'm going back to Golf Galaxy to hit these next to the pros. Should have done that yesterday. I've hit them before. And I remember that I liked the feel of them. I think I posted my comments on them in the cell thread cuz I hit them the same time before pros hit fitting cart.

I have been gaming these since last summer. I have enjoyed every shot. These are very soft feeling and have a good amount of forgiveness packed into them. I went from and old set of Burner 2.0 to these and suprisingly I didnt lose any distance which suprised me a ton considering both sets have "jacked" lofts compared to traditional sets. I was expecting to lose at least 1/2 club worth of distance but willing to do that to get the forged feel. The only thing I dont like about the stock set is the grips. Not because of the color but they get slippery quick in damp conditions. I think this set is a good gap between the AMP Cell Pro and the AMP Cell for the low-mid hdc golfer that wants a forged feel but no quite ready for the almost blade like AMP Cell Pro. Any specific question you have about the set?

Not really unless you've hit the X Hot Pro. Those are the ones I think I'll get.

Putting these in the bag for awhile to demo. KBS shafts, only problem is they're regular flex, so we'll see how that works.

First round with these tonight. Really shocked how easy these are to hit considering the size. Will update more in a week or so though once I get some more rounds under the belt.

Back