The gimmick to me is the solely the color. Unless improved performance why make or market it? This of course is just my opinion and they will find some market for it just based on cosmetics am sure.
So should cars also come in only one color and trim level? There’s no performance increase if I buy a red car instead of a blue car. Maybe I just like the looks of red better.

Or more relevant to golf - bags come in different colors. A red, white and blue golf bag isn’t going to do anything that the plain black version doesn’t already do. Should they just quit marketing all those different colors, or is there maybe a reason to have them because different people like different things?

Last edited:
I dont see anyone bashing the new Vokey color release...

So should cars also come in only one color and trim level? There’s no performance increase if I buy a red car instead of a blue car. Maybe I just like the looks of red better.

Or more relevant to golf - bags come in different colors. A red, white and blue golf bag isn’t going to do anything that the plain black version doesn’t already do. Should they just quit marketing all those different colors, or is there maybe a reason to have them because different people like different things?

Any golfer can surely buy what they want and should - my point is I would not personally buy any club due to color unless was a tech advantage. I own one club as a wedge not that is silver and that is a wedge designed purposely to rust which may provide a spin advantage. Cobra will surely find a market for these I expect as copper is handsome.

Any golfer can surely buy what they want and should - my point is I would not personally buy any club due to color unless was a tech advantage. I own one club as a wedge not that is silver and that is a wedge designed purposely to rust which may provide a spin advantage. Cobra will surely find a market for these I expect as copper is handsome.
I'd venture to say that wedge of yours is more of a gimmick than clubs that are offered in different colors, since it's sold on the fact that rust provides more spin even though that's a false claim

I'd venture to say that wedge of yours is more of a gimmick than clubs that are offered in different colors, since it's sold on the fact that rust provides more spin even though that's a false claim

You may be right there - that older model wedge no better or worse than others I have as far as spin. I paid maybe 30$ used to try. Obviously buy what color of any club you want. I am not a fan of copper personally and unless a notable performance leap overcame the wear issue I would not buy personally.

Last edited:
Maybe some see the faded satin look that lies under that rust when it begins to wear. That's my take.

They will wear. Discussed in the article but I dont think anybody is claiming performance benefits are they? It’s an aesthetic choice just as the examples mentioned. Just like some prefer dark be chrome or satin vs oil can. What is the gimmick though, I think I’m missing it?

look good, play better

The gimmick to me is the solely the color. Unless improved performance why make or market it? This of course is just my opinion and they will find some market for it just based on cosmetics am sure.
I just don’t agree different colors are a gimmick. Everyone has different tastes on what they like. I really like Brushed Steel and Black. I like that club makers make different options for everyone to pick what they fine appealing.

As the saying goes, that’s why they make chocolate and vanilla.

I just don’t agree different colors are a gimmick. Everyone has different tastes on what they like. I really like Brushed Steel and Black. I like that club makers make different options for everyone to pick what they fine appealing.

As the saying goes, that’s why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Respect the arguement

One thing that I noticed that I thought was interesting is that a custom order of the OG Tour MIMs permits you to strengthen or weaken the lofts by one degree. That option is not available with the copper offering. I wonder if the copper treatment makes them less easy to bend.

One thing that I noticed that I thought was interesting is that a custom order of the OG Tour MIMs permits you to strengthen or weaken the lofts by one degree. That option is not available with the copper offering. I wonder if the copper treatment makes them less easy to bend.
That was the case with the King Black wedges. However that was DBM and the reasoning was the finish could crack and aesthetically look defective. They were bendable but they didn't want to ship them that way. I wouldn't think PVD is the same since its a different process but who knows it could be.

That was the case with the King Black wedges. However that was DBM and the reasoning was the finish could crack and aesthetically look defective. They were bendable but they didn't want to ship them that way. I wouldn't think PVD is the same since its a different process but who knows it could be.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it is simply a glitch in the online ordering setup.

I have a set on its way. Love the look too much.

Those look good! Never thought I'd like that color for any iron, but I'd play those. Wonder if the copper will wear down and show (chrome?) underneath later on down the road?

Which ones, @JB?

I ordered the KING Tours. They won't go into my bag full time, but I love the look enough that I just "needed" a set. haha.

PVD is not as hard / durable as DBM - I am not sure on the cracking, I wonder if the reason is simply they don;t want to risk leaving tool marks in the finish?

I ordered the KING Tours. They won't go into my bag full time, but I love the look enough that I just "needed" a set. haha.
I think that is awesome. They could hang on the wall, that’s for sure.

That is awesome! They do look incredible right enough.

2ECB467C-940C-4985-B70A-44B9BE3B0444.jpeg

I want to do this exact thing :LOL: Especially since the Tours are now LH

If they somehow made these where the finish did not wear, I would buy them 110%. Those look so amazing

Back