Cobra FLY-Z+ Driver Preview

Stock shaft, green head. The Matrix Tie family doesn't really do it for me. Plus I pound the stock setup and needed to stay with what I knew would work.

Love the choice of green! That VLCT ST shaft was a good match for the club head. I might have missed it - what loft and weight position are you favoring?

First 9 with the Fly-Z+ and a quick initial thoughts (setting at 11.5° / Weight forward) <Driver swing speed=92 / Ball speed=125>
Sound was almost a hollow ring to it. And coupled with the sound none of the strikes felt "solid" ie never gave you the feeling that you had just hit the sweet spot (and I did! - pics to follow). All shots felt very thin and un robust. My understanding is while the front weight will reduce spin by around 400rpm and a lower flight trajectory for more rollout it will be less forgiving. Wondering if that is why the strikes all felt less than what I expected. Avg of 7 drives = 232 total (Nike Covert 2 = 219)
Note: I was able to hit 2 tee shots on all holes, 1 with my usual 2014 NXT Tour-S and 1 with the new Cally Chrome Soft. With the exception of 1 hole, my usual Tour-S were longer by avg of prob 5-7 yards. Could of course be user's quality of strike??
Small sampling I know.
Next I'll try 11.5° with back CG

First 9 with the Fly-Z+ and a quick initial thoughts (setting at 11.5° / Weight forward) <Driver swing speed=92 / Ball speed=125>
Sound was almost a hollow ring to it. And coupled with the sound none of the strikes felt "solid" ie never gave you the feeling that you had just hit the sweet spot (and I did! - pics to follow). All shots felt very thin and un robust. My understanding is while the front weight will reduce spin by around 400rpm and a lower flight trajectory for more rollout it will be less forgiving. Wondering if that is why the strikes all felt less than what I expected. Avg of 7 drives = 232 total (Nike Covert 2 = 219)
Note: I was able to hit 2 tee shots on all holes, 1 with my usual 2014 NXT Tour-S and 1 with the new Cally Chrome Soft. With the exception of 1 hole, my usual Tour-S were longer by avg of prob 5-7 yards. Could of course be user's quality of strike??
Small sampling I know.
Next I'll try 11.5° with back CG

Thanks for the review! It is refreshing to read notes from a normal human like myself who swings in the mid 90s. Most of the posts that I see, seem to have a swing speed in the mid 120s and complain when they don't average 270 off the tee!

Driver: Nike Covert 2.0 12.5 degrees
Fairway: Callaway X2Hot 4 Wood
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 5 & 6
Irons: Taylormade Rocketbladez 8,9,P
Wedges: 52 Mizuno, 56 rtx, 58 smart sole, 64 rtx
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR 33

Thanks for the review! It is refreshing to read notes from a normal human like myself who swings in the mid 90s. Most of the posts that I see, seem to have a swing speed in the mid 120s and complain when they don't average 270 off the tee!

Thanks! We can all wish for those long drives tho!!!

Face of driver and the hitting area (couple of strikes near top towards toe were missed when I cleaned after range b4 starting the round)
attachment.php

As a general question, where in today's technology is the optimum "sweet" stop on a 460 driver?

It depends on the driver but Ive had many that were right above dead center, or so it seemed that way

Love the choice of green! That VLCT ST shaft was a good match for the club head. I might have missed it - what loft and weight position are you favoring?
I'm not sure of the weight position at this time but I'll play the club at 10.5 loft. I'll tool around with settings before I settle.

When I tested the club, I believe it was set at 12* and the weight was in the middle position.

Got to be hands on with these yesterday, the weight tech it awesome to look at, for some reason with the missing spot where the weight will shift, it really lends itself to be understood quite easily, and the finish is just great on these newer models. Love the look!

Looks so good in black.

I have to echo the comments made earlier about the "hollow" sound. I was able to hit this today (indoors) on a GC2 and with a smash factor of 1.45, they still felt hollow. It is hard to describe, but again, it just never felt like I hit one solid.
I moved the weight forwards and backwards and it did make a difference in spin and launch for me.
SS was around 95, ball speed around 137. It is stupid cold up here in Canada, and I have not hit balls much at all these days, so the swing is rusty and slower as I usually am around the high 90s and maybe even 100.
Seems like I may be sticking with my Bio Cell + !!!

Did any one try swinging the Fly-Z compared to the Fly-Z + in regards to the feel? Even on flush face contact the + felt hollow or as if it was a miss hit? That doesn't sound right, right? lol

3 rounds with the Fly-Z+ and yesterday tested it against the Mizuno JPX-850. What a difference. I referenced a couple of quotes earlier about the "hollow" sound/feel of the Fly-Z+. No matter what I do the Fly-Z+ feels & sounds like I just hit a tin can, just never feels/sounds solid. Center strikes pretty much have the same feel/sound as off-center hits. First swing with the 850 and down the middle and the feel & sound was Fantastic. Felt like I just hit a 300 yarder!!! LOL (I actually avg 220 carry). The 850 was avg about 7-10 yards further and while I could tell when I hit off-center didn't get penalized much (same for the most part with the Fly-Z+). Ball flight appeared slightly higher with the JPX-850. Just played 9 using both drivers yesterday but it was enough to want to pull the Fly-Z+ out and put the Mizuno JPX-850 in. More testing to follow.

I want to point out that my numbers with the Fly Z + were decent, not complaining there, but the feel just wasn't to my liking. Based on my numbers, with my in-season SS of close to 100, I would most likely be getting around 250-260 which is just fine for me...

I'm going to swing both the fly-z and + this weekend and I'll post my results.

I want to point out that my numbers with the Fly Z + were decent, not complaining there, but the feel just wasn't to my liking. Based on my numbers, with my in-season SS of close to 100, I would most likely be getting around 250-260 which is just fine for me...

Did you get fit with the fly-z +? just curious

I'm going to swing both the fly-z and + this weekend and I'll post my results.

Looking forward to your comments regarding sound and feel. Both of these clubs are on my radar for 2015.

Swung by GS today to do some golf bag shopping and they had these on display by the demo bays. This was the first time I had hit this since the Tampa get together. The feel was solid just like I remembered and the muted sound is just right. Only did 5 swings but carry average was right at 254 with the weight forward and spin was just over 2200 and that was with one toe strike at 2700. The longest two hits being mid 1700s spin. Only negative feeling I have about this club is the stock Matrix shaft but that's just personal feel and will be different for everyone. I'm looking forward to next weekends demo day to get more time with this driver.

As an overall Cobra fan and an owner of two Bio Cell + heads and a Bio Cell Pro head and loving them both, I had really high hopes for the Fly-Z+. I have a few shafts I work into my BC heads and went into a local GS for the showdown. My Pro head with either my Fujikura Speeder Pro (68g counter-balanced) or Evolution 757 shafts give me great numbers around 13* launch and 2200 revs at about 100 club head speed. BC+ shows good numbers as well, just a touch more spin. Initial thoughts on the Fly Z + is that it doesn't feel or sounds as solid as with the BC + or Pro heads. There is a difference in feel and sound depending on where the flip weight is positioned as well. When I hit the center of the fly Z +, it felt pretty crisp and came off the face nicely, but no matter the loft or shaft combo I put together I couldn't get the spin numbers down to what my Pro head was measuring on GC2. I have a contact who can get me a heavier flip weight from Cobra as soon as next week, so we'll see how that impacts the spin numbers when it arrives.

Unfortunately, at this point it's Bio Cell Pro for me based on feel, sound, and of course performance.

Similar outcome for me. Numbers on the screen were showing alright, but a normal strike on my Bio Cell Pro was even slightly better than a perfect strike in the Fly-Z + and, what I think, to be a less than stellar feel and sound pretty much talked me out of pulling the trigger at this point.

Similar outcome for me. Numbers on the screen were showing alright, but a normal strike on my Bio Cell Pro was even slightly better than a perfect strike in the Fly-Z + and, what I think, to be a less than stellar feel and sound pretty much talked me out of pulling the trigger at this point.

This is pretty interesting to me. Were you trying the Z+ in both positions comparing it to the Pro?

I've been predominantly a Cobra wood fan for my golf life. I used a BioCell+ almost all last year, had a quick jaunt with some others, and find myself going back to it again for this season. I was completely fine with my driver for 2015...and then I made the mistake of hitting the Fly Z+ today at Golfsmith. Ball just seemed to fly off the club face with less effort than normal. Why do I do this to myself?

p.s. weight was in the front

This is pretty interesting to me. Were you trying the Z+ in both positions comparing it to the Pro?

I tried the Fly-Z + in nearly every loft and weight position with the stock Matrix S and X, and also the aftermarket Fujikura Speeder Pro and Speeder 757 Evolution that give me excellent numbers in my Pro head, but nothing could get the spin down low enough. Even at the lowest loft of 8 on my Speeder Pro sleeve where I was pushing the low end of acceptable launch angles between 9 and 11, I couldn't get the spin consistently under even 2600. I know swings can vary on different days, but I had my pro there and I was popping it out there at about 260 carry on about 13* of launch and ~2100 revs consistently. The Fly-Z + had to be buttoned to get me that same carry on that day. I have a contact getting me a heavier flip weight from Cobra in a couple weeks, I'll be curious to see what that brings. I'm still a little turned off on the Fly-Z + feel and sound, but if I can get Better numbers than my Pro with the option of a little more adjustability, I'll bag it.

LOTS of comments on the sound it seems, I really didn't see that coming. Will certainly be interested to hit it myself eventually.

Some solid feedback and thoughts in here though, thanks all.

Back