Cobra FLY-Z+ Driver Preview

I tried the Fly-Z + in nearly every loft and weight position with the stock Matrix S and X, and also the aftermarket Fujikura Speeder Pro and Speeder 757 Evolution that give me excellent numbers in my Pro head, but nothing could get the spin down low enough. Even at the lowest loft of 8 on my Speeder Pro sleeve where I was pushing the low end of acceptable launch angles between 9 and 11, I couldn't get the spin consistently under even 2600. I know swings can vary on different days, but I had my pro there and I was popping it out there at about 260 carry on about 13* of launch and ~2100 revs consistently. The Fly-Z + had to be buttoned to get me that same carry on that day. I have a contact getting me a heavier flip weight from Cobra in a couple weeks, I'll be curious to see what that brings. I'm still a little turned off on the Fly-Z + feel and sound, but if I can get Better numbers than my Pro with the option of a little more adjustability, I'll bag it.

This is extremely interesting to me based on my time with TO on the two drivers (Pro & Fly-Z+). I know we spoke about the Pro being the less forgiving due to where the CG is, but they are both quite low, so while I know the spin for me was about 250 rpms higher with the Z+ (in forward position), that amount means virtually nothing for most amateurs.

Just glad that 20 THPers (whoever they might be) are going to get to spend some time with Cobra R&D at the THP Event coming up and can get the info straight from the source.

This is extremely interesting to me based on my time with TO on the two drivers (Pro & Fly-Z+). I know we spoke about the Pro being the less forgiving due to where the CG is, but they are both quite low, so while I know the spin for me was about 250 rpms higher with the Z+ (in forward position), that amount means virtually nothing for most amateurs.

Just glad that 20 THPers (whoever they might be) are going to get to spend some time with Cobra R&D at the THP Event coming up and can get the info straight from the source.

I feel like the punishment on true misses is similar on both, but the Fly-Z + having a feel and sound I was still struggling to be happy with, I felt like I got punished more on misses because the feel and sound were even less enjoyable. There is the Speed Channel around the face that is supposed to help salvage some ball speed on misses, I can't say with any certainty how much that helped or not.

Just got word from my guy that a flip weight at 20g (stock is 15g) will be here next week for me to try out. This touch of extra weight might bring the swing weight back to where why Pro head plays as well. The Fly-Z + felt just a touch lighter and I'm hopeful getting that feel of head head back can help with how I feel about it. I will either have a new driver head with a heavier flip weight, or a flip weight turned into a ball marker to remind me that I have a club in the Bio Cell Pro that's tough to beat.

I will post a follow up with how the SW, launch, and spin numbers changed.

I feel like the punishment on true misses is similar on both, but the Fly-Z + having a feel and sound I was still struggling to be happy with, I felt like I got punished more on misses because the feel and sound were even less enjoyable. There is the Speed Channel around the face that is supposed to help salvage some ball speed on misses, I can't say with any certainty how much that helped or not.

Just got word from my guy that a flip weight at 20g (stock is 15g) will be here next week for me to try out. This touch of extra weight might bring the swing weight back to where why Pro head plays as well. The Fly-Z + felt just a touch lighter and I'm hopeful getting that feel of head head back can help with how I feel about it. I will either have a new driver head with a heavier flip weight, or a flip weight turned into a ball marker to remind me that I have a club in the Bio Cell Pro that's tough to beat.

While its being marketed that way, the Speed Channel is technically about removing weight and redistributed it low.

LOTS of comments on the sound it seems, I really didn't see that coming. Will certainly be interested to hit it myself eventually.

Some solid feedback and thoughts in here though, thanks all.

I got to demo it today and for the first few hits I had to keep checking the face to see where I was hitting it. Contact was pretty much the center of face but it sounded like every hit was a miss hit, like contact was made way on the heel. Compared to my Bio Cell+, I was disappointed. I want to try it again but I was really let down by it.

Got my first experience with this driver yesterday. I wasn't all that impressed. I messed around with the settings and I was getting good launch numbers and spin rates, however I just didn't care for the feel of it. Also thought the sound with the weight forward was awful. With the weight back it sounded fine, but with the weight forward I hated the sound. I was getting just as good of numbers with my Bio Cell+ as I was with the Fly Z+ and didn't see any distance increase at all, not that I expected any, but I just wasn't as impressed as I expected to be from this driver.

I wonder if the fly-z, non plus, is any different regarding feel and sound? I've read reviews saying the fly-z is in the highest tier for forgiveness with the G30 being the only other driver that has as much forgiveness.

I wonder if the fly-z, non plus, is any different regarding feel and sound? I've read reviews saying the fly-z is in the highest tier for forgiveness with the G30 being the only other driver that has as much forgiveness.

Should be able to compare both at the same time and offer some feedback there middle of the week.

I need to find sometime this week and get this bad boy on the course. I feel like a little kid with a bag full of new gear and no one to game it with.

I need to find sometime this week and get this bad boy on the course. I feel like a little kid with a bag full of new gear and no one to game it with.

What are your thoughts on what everyone else is saying regarding the feel? Solid face contact feels like a mis-hit, feels hollow, sounds tinny.....

Should be able to compare both at the same time and offer some feedback there middle of the week.

I'l retract this one. Got my Cobra drivers mixed up and won't be looking at this one after all.

There is nothing wrong with this club. The ball stays on the face for no time at all. And the ball really seems to hang in the air. I feel in love with driver late last year while playing with JB and Ward. I killed it and I think I play it better than my 815, which I really like. If I am not noticing the sound, that means I have no issue with it.
What are your thoughts on what everyone else is saying regarding the feel? Solid face contact feels like a mis-hit, feels hollow, sounds tinny.....

I know hawk will kill the review but I can tell you. If I handed you either on in the same color and said just hit it. You would not be able to notice that big of a difference. I founf both to be very close in performance. I just fell in love with the plus and had to have it.

I know hawk will kill the review but I can tell you. If I handed you either on in the same color and said just hit it. You would not be able to notice that big of a difference. I founf both to be very close in performance. I just fell in love with the plus and had to have it.

I've been eying the Fly-Z+ ever since I heard about it. I was literally about to buy the Bio Cell but found out the release date of the Fly-Z was only a month away so I waited.

If you are free this Friday, I'm itching to get out and test the 815 & E5s again. Anywhere in the Tampa/St Pete area works for me.

Returning with some follow-up numbers after getting another session with the Fly-Z +, but this time swapping the 15g stock flip weight with a 20g flip weight I was able to get from a local Cobra rep.

Recapping my previous testing session, I was prepared to turn my back on this driver and get into something else for the season. However, after bringing in the change in weight and throwing my Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution into the head, it is back in the conversation. While I still think the sound and feel are a bit off-putting, those things become less of a concern when the numbers are what they need to be on the screen.

Here's how it went on 6 balls with each, doing the best I was able to keep club head speed consistent...

Stock 15g flip-weight (forward)/9.5* head setting/Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Stiff Shaft: Average Launch = 13* / Spin = 2,750 RPM / Carry = ~254 yds
Stock 15g flip-weight (forward)/9.5* head setting/Fujikura Speeder Pro Stiff Shaft: Average Launch = 12* / Spin = 2,400 RPM / ~258yds

Replacement 20g flip-weight (forward)/9.5* head setting/Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution: Average Launch = 14.5* / Spin = 1,950 RPM / Carry = ~268 yds
Replacement 20g flip-weight (forward)/10.5* head setting/Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution: Average Launch = 15.5* / Spin = 2,100 RPM / Carry = ~265 yds

I did try the weight in the back position with both weights but was not able to bring the loft low enough to get to a spin number that was as appealing as what I was getting with the weight forward.

Overall, the touch of additional weight in the lower, forward position gave me a positive bump in launch and took a good amount of spin away with an overall net result of a distance improvement I would take to the bank any day of the week. I know the distances aren't absolute bombs like some of you out there, but a big, boring draw that chases out to finish around 280 will create a lot of short iron approaches on the courses where I play.

Also, regarding the flip weights in different weights, my guy said everything is the same gold color right now but he has heard Cobra will be releasing different color options later in the Spring. I don't believe the color will make the 20g weight perform any differently, but they wouldn't put them out if people weren't interested, I suppose.

Elliot

Also, regarding the flip weights in different weights, my guy said everything is the same gold color right now but he has heard Cobra will be releasing different color options later in the Spring. I don't believe the color will make the 20g weight perform any differently, but they wouldn't put them out if people weren't interested, I suppose.

Elliot

This is interesting because I was discussing this very thing with them and no decision had been made.
Ironically being that the part that is gold weighs technically nothing and the weight is underneath, changing the color would be nothing more than for look of course.

If you are free this Friday, I'm itching to get out and test the 815 & E5s again. Anywhere in the Tampa/St Pete area works for me.
I hate tapatalk it doesn't notify me when I get quoted. I just saw this sorry bro.

The flyz+ has a permanent place in my bag. It is everything I thought it would be. It sets up well, launches high and has great distance.

I knew the shaft would.hold up and the blue head just kind of makes me giddy. All these years Cobra has worked for me and I finally have one in the bag.

For the record, I have no issue with the sound and outside of one miss, I'm not sure feel is am issue. The ball doesn't stay on the face long enough with my strikes to really give me any significant feel

For the record, I have no issue with the sound and outside of one miss, I'm not sure feel is am issue. The ball doesn't stay on the face long enough with my strikes to really give me any significant feel

Did you get enough time with the regular version to compare the 2? I have heard they are very similar besides the adjustability.

I got enough time to know the sound didn't bother me. I also know that a thin shot just a out feels.the same no matter what you are swinging. The same goes for a heel or toe shot.

These are very well.engineered drivers. Some won't like the sound but I promise there are far worse sounds coming from.other 2015 releases

I got enough time to know the sound didn't bother me. I also know that a thin shot just a out feels.the same no matter what you are swinging. The same goes for a heel or toe shot.

These are very well.engineered drivers. Some won't like the sound but I promise there are far worse sounds coming from.other 2015 releases

Sry, I quoted the wrong response... But thanks for the quick reply. I meant to ask how you thought they compared performance wise.
I will game a club that sounds like an aluminum bat if it works :)

Very much hoping to try to get some time with this at Love is in the air. Cobra drivers have always intrigued me, but I've never really spent a lot of time with them. So hopefully they have them there for us to demo!

I hear a lot of comments regarding the sound, but I believe this driver has a composite crown. Most drivers I've ever hit with a composite crown had a different sound to them. I can get over sound though, if it out performs my plus it's in the bag.

This is interesting because I was discussing this very thing with them and no decision had been made.
Ironically being that the part that is gold weighs technically nothing and the weight is underneath, changing the color would be nothing more than for look of course.

You're exactly correct in that the colored shell of the flip-weight is just that. I wasn't able to add a picture of the 15g and 20g weights side by side, but you can see the only real difference is the heavier weights looks to have three places where some material was drilled out and heavier material may have been added in those places.

I also just received a Rogue shaft, Silver 60 Still 110 MSI version. I'm looking forward to what the numbers shake out to be with that stick compared to the Black Tie I have in it at the moment.

Had a crack at this the other day and was extremely impressed. Only had time for a few swings but plan on getting more time with this one to compare two others.

Back