Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Fairway Woods

jdtox;n8897829 said:
Hit an absolute bomb yesterday with the 3w from the rough after losing a ball off the tee. 260 out on a par 5, flew the green. Such a good fairway, I really like the F9 so much better than the F8 last year.

Turf interaction from the rough is outstanding, no idea how they top this one next year

OITW;n8897834 said:
Turf interaction from the rough is outstanding, no idea how they top this one next year

Agreed. Adding the CNC milling to the F9 has been great, I really think the size/shape is perfect. Paired with the right shaft these are deadly, I've been a fan of both the 3 and 5w this year.

I had a personal best round on Saturday. The course is one that you can score on if you keep it in play and since it was a windy day I decided ahead of time to take the 3 wood off the tee. (I only pulled driver 3 times and it was on open holes). I was very pleased with how the F9 3 wood launched in the windy conditions. I'm not the biggest hitter but these are great distances for me and I was finding fairway after fairway. These aren't leaving my bag anytime soon!! Screenshot_20190909-114737.jpg

93civiccpe;n8903573 said:
I had a personal best round on Saturday. The course is one that you can score on if you keep it in play and since it was a windy day I decided ahead of time to take the 3 wood off the tee. (I only pulled driver 3 times and it was on open holes). I was very pleased with how the F9 3 wood launched in the windy conditions. I'm not the biggest hitter but these are great distances for me and I was finding fairway after fairway. These aren't leaving my bag anytime soon!!

They are so solid. Coming from f8 these made an already solid club such an asset. My driver and fairway game has improved a great deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid shots!!!

After a round over the holidays in chilly weather (just under 50 degrees) and a personal best score on the course I am still in love with these F9 fairways. I took the 3 wood off the tee 3 times and hit it 231 yards, 223 yards, and 242 yards. All 3 found the fairway. On an early par 5 I had 214 to the flag and took the 7 wood and hit it pin high in the right rough just off the green. On a par 5 later in the round I had 230 left and hit the 5 wood and finished once again just off the green to the right of the flag. The crazy thing is that I never felt I could hit a fairway wood reliably off the fairway and I have so much confidence with these. When my driver swing gets wild the 3 wood has been a reliable option that does not give up too much distance. And if the fairway is exceptionally tight I have total faith in the 5 wood. These woods are not leaving my bag anytime soon and I cannot fathom how Cobra can improve on these!!

Great bump @93civiccpe

played last Saturday and my shot of the round was this:

19E8AA75-7E8F-42B0-9221-274A7B7D219C.jpeg
225 from off the deck with the 5w

it’s been a few months since I have had any of the woods in the bag as I was messing around with the Thriver setup.

Clubs are ?

These are still weapons for me both off the tee and recently off the deck. This is one of my better tee shots with the 3 wood last round. Screenshot_20200120-234818.jpg

So pumped to get my hands on one of these and first range session was so underwhelming. Left the loft at 14.5 and the ball was just ballooning off the tee. Did find the rails to be great off the deck though. Off the deck shots were nice. I’m coming from the cobra Ltd which is a heavier swing weight. Added some lead tape to the f9 and ratcheted the loft down to 13.5. Hopefully that does the trick. Anyone else have issues with this things high launch?

So pumped to get my hands on one of these and first range session was so underwhelming. Left the loft at 14.5 and the ball was just ballooning off the tee. Did find the rails to be great off the deck though. Off the deck shots were nice. I’m coming from the cobra Ltd which is a heavier swing weight. Added some lead tape to the f9 and ratcheted the loft down to 13.5. Hopefully that does the trick. Anyone else have issues with this things high launch?
I can launch mine (3/5) but without ballooning. What shaft do you have in it?

Well after applying some lead tape to the front of the club and dialing it down to 13.5 I’m getting some good strikes. I’m not sure it’s longer than my LTD 14.5 though. It does seem easier to hit off the deck though with the rails. Need more time with it

My f9 4-5 tour
This club is a weapon.
I hit the F9 tour fairway so crazy well this weekend.
The F9 Tour 4/5 continues to work well for me.
I am looking for some detailed feedback on the F9 Tour 4-5W - hopefully I can have you folks jog your memories.

I hit the Tour 3-4W on a simulator and am in love: I have come to dislike hitting standard size 3W off the deck, and quite unexpectedly loved the look of the smaller Tour version here. When I think of it more as a beefy hybrid, my forgiveness concerns go away. The sound and feel were just... awesome. The problem I have is that it was going too far even at the max 15* loft - I also hit my current 3W on the same simulator to compare/verify, and choked up to my normal 42" 3W length. SS/launch/carry numbers were 108mph/16*/270y, using the 6.0 HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (pulled from a SZ head they had on-hand; will get the Smoke Black when I buy). I realize this is a bit nitpicky as I type it out, but I prefer that carry number to be closer to 255-260 for gapping purposes (next club maxes out at 240). So naturally I think the 4-5W at 16* is a great option. The Smoke Black shaft will, if anything, add a few yards for me compared to the Smoke Yellow. For this club, I much prefer to go hard for more distance than take something off.

My only concern at this time is with the rails being too tall and making the club sit awkwardly on tight fairway lies. Getting extra help from rough lies is a great benefit, but having full confidence from a perfect lie is more important to me. I know that the Tour version has shallower rails than standard, and the rails on the Tour 3-4W were no problem, but the Tour 4-5W rails are progressively taller. My shop doesn't have a Tour 4-5W on hand for me to check out, and I can't find any good testimonials or images online. So, current and past F9 Tour users, what are your observations and experiences with the rails of the Tour 4-5W?

Tour 4-5 was a great club. The rails are taller than the 3-4 though if I recall correctly.

The tour has the ability to spin low and was a very maneuvable club. I liked hitting fades to attack par 5s with it. Turning it over could eke out a lot of yards while tre fade could land soft.

I would say low face contact can spin up high compared to center contact. While I usually had no fear with a long carry with the 4/5 it made me move towards a more consistent 3 wood.

I would not hesitate to recommend the tour if you want a small headed fairway wood.

Tour 4-5 was a great club. The rails are taller than the 3-4 though if I recall correctly.

The tour has the ability to spin low and was a very maneuvable club. I liked hitting fades to attack par 5s with it. Turning it over could eke out a lot of yards while tre fade could land soft.

I would say low face contact can spin up high compared to center contact. While I usually had no fear with a long carry with the 4/5 it made me move towards a more consistent 3 wood.

I would not hesitate to recommend the tour if you want a small headed fairway wood.
Thanks! I reached out to Cobra about differences in shaft tipping and rail height on the Tour 3-4W and 4-5W models. Here is their reply:

We cut everything based on manufacturers cutting instructions whether it's our stock builds or custom
EX: Project X is .5" 3-wood and 1" 5Wood and above
Typically you'll see .5" tip adjustment by loft
As far as the rails go they will be the same for better and consistent ball striking.

So for me, hopefully the extra 1/2” of tip trim will help keep the flight from ballooning too much relative to the 15* 3-4W I hit. I will also cut it down to 42”, which leaves the possibility of having another 1/2” trimmed. Curious to see how the rails look and play.

I pulled the trigger on a Tour 4-5W and love it so far. At 16* loft, the flight looks great on the range. I am hoping to play tomorrow and see where the distance comes out, but I am confident it will be where I want it. Rail height has been a non-issue on shots from the deck. The HZRDUS Smoke Black shaft feels amazing. I am a classic S/X tweener, and the 6.0 tipped 1”, which is standard for 5W, is perfect for me in my 3W club. I play Yellow in my driver and the Smoke Black was instant love. But what I wasn’t expecting was the sound of this club: it reminds me of the heavy thud I’ve only heard on TV. Simply addicting - please forgive the over-the-top pull in the video below. I realize this club is now two generations old, but it’s a real stunner.
D7B566A3-CCD3-4438-9CA3-8D23208B54A8.jpeg
View attachment IMG_1306.MOV

Last edited:
Back