Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
I put the ONE Length version in play for one round and will again tomorrow with some THPers. First off, I know I have said it before, but I am a big fan of Cobra Connect. Its a value add that is just not available anywhere else.

The KING F9 in hand when examining the head look unlike anything I have used in the past. Almost stubby looking, but once you take a few swings, you don't even notice and they nailed a number of items I thought were missing previously. The sound in the lower lofted clubs moving towards the scoring irons really is seamless, despite a number of tech changes.

The ball flight is high, lands soft and goes LONG! I was about a half a club longer with these than the Honma TW737P set, however it is just a single round, so more coming on that soon.

Using the OL version, one thing to note is that anybody that struggled getting the lower lofted clubs in the air with the previous versions, that is not an issue. The 5 iron was absolutely lethal for me off the tee on two short par 4s and I am sure the optional 4 iron is the same (I dont have one to test).

I will have more on this after the round tomorrow.

Good thoughts JB. Like that they were involved with a shaft manufacturer in creating a type of AMT setup, lighter and more in line with what their experience with OL has guided them to.

Certainly a distinct look to them, but the tech explanation for that is on point. This is their first set where I feel the potential negatives of OL are dissipated via engineering to the point where the OL is a better choice over variable.

My first question was going to be sound - thx for the early feedback. It matters more than it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the loft of that 4 iron only being half a degree less than my 5W, it would be very interesting to compare the distances between the two clubs - I know it isn't comparing like for like, but an interesting observation all the same

Hopefully my coach will get these (and the rest of the F9 range) in at some point so that I can have a look and give them a hit

Good stuff, JB! I really like the looks and the price of these. These may be the best looking Cobra irons yet. I have yet to try the one length irons, but I these or the variable lengths would be on my radar if I find myself in the market for new irons. And while I struggle greatly with hybrids, I would love to give the F9 Hybrids a go as well.

These are pretty stellar looking I’m an unabashed fan of the OL concept and I love seeing Cobra keeping it in the lineup. These looks like they really might be lethal for a lot of people.

I read the homepage article, I like the looks!!!! Might be my eye, but it doesn't look like there is much offset? It looks really clean to me. Had to tell how big the sole is from the picture but doesn't look that big.

I love the look of that sole, I've been pondering a OL set for quite some time, the F9 might be my first set!

In hand pics would be interesting to see. The club head does look to be on the bigger side but there’s obviously a lot of performance romance that should come with that.

In hand pics would be interesting to see. The club head does look to be on the bigger side but there’s obviously a lot of performance romance that should come with that.

Here are a couple of quick ones with more coming soon from studio

5740de840e9cc728f8d2c090b61a90e4.jpg

9aa61a6112e346e6aa22ab0b448ebf08.jpg

very modern very industrial look to these

I wonder how the invisible-at-address looks will be received by the Internet Golf Populace

I put the ONE Length version in play for one round and will again tomorrow with some THPers. First off, I know I have said it before, but I am a big fan of Cobra Connect. Its a value add that is just not available anywhere else.

The KING F9 in hand when examining the head look unlike anything I have used in the past. Almost stubby looking, but once you take a few swings, you don't even notice and they nailed a number of items I thought were missing previously. The sound in the lower lofted clubs moving towards the scoring irons really is seamless, despite a number of tech changes.

The ball flight is high, lands soft and goes LONG! I was about a half a club longer with these than the Honma TW737P set, however it is just a single round, so more coming on that soon.

Using the OL version, one thing to note is that anybody that struggled getting the lower lofted clubs in the air with the previous versions, that is not an issue. The 5 iron was absolutely lethal for me off the tee on two short par 4s and I am sure the optional 4 iron is the same (I dont have one to test).

I'm glad it's not just me - the first look had me thinking "these look odd". But at the same time, maybe constraining to the look of a "traditional" iron limits performance. After all, that basic profile exists from well before CAD and other modeling techniques. Pictures you have with the iron soled look a bit more traditional. Definitely a tech-forward release and that's really cool.

very modern very industrial look to these

I wonder how the invisible-at-address looks will be received by the Internet Golf Populace

I was looking for the right words to describe these irons, you nailed.

@JB are these "Like" Rogue X irons with the Stronger lofts and "Microspheres" or are these more like the Regular "Rogue" Irons?

I was looking for the right words to describe these irons, you nailed.

@JB are these "Like" Rogue X irons with the Stronger lofts and "Microspheres" or are these more like the Regular "Rogue" Irons?

The lofts are in the article on the home page.
They are closer to Rogue in terms of loft with each PW being 44

very strong lofted, 44° PW and going in 5° increments (!) to the 7

with an even lower CG and KBS Tour 90 stock steel, these things are going to launch to the moon with very low spin, pure distance

I'd like to see a test of these vs the TaylorMade M CGB

Very similar look to the Adams A12OS irons. Always thought Adams made the best game improvement irons. It's great to see Cobra pick up the torch and crank out some good looking game improvement irons.

I love the look of these irons! Cobra just keeps improving these irons. Very happy they improved the performance of 4-7 irons. Plus they are offering OL again! Happy to see Cobra continue to up their gamers.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Amazed at how much tech they can pack while keeping the top line that thin. My only real worry would be the back sticking out at address with the long irons.

I still love my F6 irons, but if I'm still looking for a GI iron in a year, these are way high on my radar.

Stubby is a good way to put the look of these irons. The in-hand pics JB put up look way nicer imo--they almost look like the AP3 from the side. Hopefully we can get a top down look to see how much junk in the trunk these have at address (if any). Those hybrids look pretty slick too, would love to hear more about those as people start to test them out.

Stubby is a good way to put the look of these irons. The in-hand pics JB put up look way nicer imo--they almost look like the AP3 from the side. Hopefully we can get a top down look to see how much junk in the trunk these have at address (if any). Those hybrids look pretty slick too, would love to hear more about those as people start to test them out.

Size wise they would be closer to the AP1 if you use Titleist as a comparison. The AP3 would be closer to the Forged TEC, which based on reviews is one of the favorites in the class.

It looks like these irons have a "Hump" at the bottom like the Exotics EXS Irons.
I assume that is to get the weight lower than the contact point.

I was coming in here to ask you when these were going in play haha - Glad it happened already!!!

The profile is wildly different visually when in hand versus at address. So much going on, yet most of it hidden.

How was the sound overall, not just the transition? that was something we talked about a lot after leaving.... how much that has improved with this style of iron.

I was coming in here to ask you when these were going in play haha - Glad it happened already!!!

The profile is wildly different visually when in hand versus at address. So much going on, yet most of it hidden.

How was the sound overall, not just the transition? that was something we talked about a lot after leaving.... how much that has improved with this style of iron.

The sound is really similar to that of most irons in their class. I hit these and the Bridgestone Tour B Forged side by side on the range and couldn't tell much difference.
The best descriptor I can use is "thwack" if that makes sense. Its not muted, and fairly solid sounding.

The sound is really similar to that of most irons in their class. I hit these and the Bridgestone Tour B Forged side by side on the range and couldn't tell much difference.
The best descriptor I can use is "thwack" if that makes sense. Its not muted, and fairly solid sounding.

that is WILD. Amazing what five years of tech does.

that is WILD. Amazing what five years of tech does.

It really is. I was just thinking in comparison to the F7 line, which was two years ago and how much better these were in my hand...And I liked those irons a lot.

Back