Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

Okay so I've held onto them (for now) but I took the PW and 4 utility out tonight and the PW was liquid hot magma. I was pureing it 135 on the dot with the highest PW ball flight I've ever had. I was hitting a nice draw and loved the feel and ball flight. The club is starting to set up to my liking. The 4 utility I am still struggling with. I looked at the sole and noticed the mat marks were favoring the toe despite being on the draw setting. I assumed that would make the club more upright but it sits flush on the mat at set-up and all my other clubs have always been slightly toe up. Looking at the specs it is 1 degree flatter than the Forged TEC 4 iron and two flatter than I need and that ain't gonna work. Anyone know if the utility can be bent upright? I feel like if I can get the lie angle to 64.5 I can make this set work. I'll probably fire off an e-mail to Cobra. Gotta get some MCC grips on these things too. The Lamkins ain't gonna cut it. I was thinking of getting the 8, 9 and PW in standard lengths but based on how I hit the PW I'm think GW, SW and LW in One Length might be the answer.

I don’t think the utility can be bent at all

Okay so I've held onto them (for now) but I took the PW and 4 utility out tonight and the PW was liquid hot magma. I was pureing it 135 on the dot with the highest PW ball flight I've ever had. I was hitting a nice draw and loved the feel and ball flight. The club is starting to set up to my liking. The 4 utility I am still struggling with. I looked at the sole and noticed the mat marks were favoring the toe despite being on the draw setting. I assumed that would make the club more upright but it sits flush on the mat at set-up and all my other clubs have always been slightly toe up. Looking at the specs it is 1 degree flatter than the Forged TEC 4 iron and two flatter than I need and that ain't gonna work. Anyone know if the utility can be bent upright? I feel like if I can get the lie angle to 64.5 I can make this set work. I'll probably fire off an e-mail to Cobra. Gotta get some MCC grips on these things too. The Lamkins ain't gonna cut it. I was thinking of getting the 8, 9 and PW in standard lengths but based on how I hit the PW I'm think GW, SW and LW in One Length might be the answer.
If you don't like the OL 4 Utility, consider an F9 OL 4i instead. Stupid easy to hit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Got my clubs today! Was so pumped, went off to the range and the whole place was closed due to flooding! Noooooo!
Will get some pics later.
Oh and due to the stuff around, Cobra (and the shop) chucked in a few extras for me. Cobra cap, glove, and a bunch of balls. Happy with that.

Last edited:
Stupid easy to hit.

I've had a little trouble with the FTB OL 5 - is the F9 OL 4i that much easier to launch than the FTB 5i?

I've had a little trouble with the FTB OL 5 - is the F9 OL 4i that much easier to launch than the FTB 5i?
Yes. Go read through the F9 irons thread if you haven't already. Guys who normally play MBs are buying F9 4 irons because it's a point and shoot cannon. I got mine bent a degree weak to keep the gapping I need.

Easy and F9 irons are bedfellows.

They’re stupid easy.

Back to the FTB, may be a mental thing but visually the OL GW is giving me a bit of an issue visually at address. Lie angle just doesn't look right.

Back to the FTB, may be a mental thing but visually the OL GW is giving me a bit of an issue visually at address. Lie angle just doesn't look right.

It’s funny how personal that can be. I love how the GW looks with my KFTB One Lengths. It might be that I know EXACTLY how far this club goes.

Still enjoying them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s funny how personal that can be. I love how the GW looks with my KFTB One Lengths. It might be that I know EXACTLY how far this club goes.

Still enjoying them?

Enjoying them more now that my swing is coming together. I developed a nasty forearm roll/disconnected inside takeaway habit last year that I have been grinding all winter to fix. Now that I'm back on track and feeling good over the ball again, the GW (and PW) to a lessor extent are still bugging me at address. 4-9 are great but I might need to go to VL for all wedges.

Enjoying them more now that my swing is coming together. I developed a nasty forearm roll/disconnected inside takeaway habit last year that I have been grinding all winter to fix. Now that I'm back on track and feeling good over the ball again, the GW (and PW) to a lessor extent are still bugging me at address. 4-9 are great but I might need to go to VL for all wedges.

Yeah I plan on going VL for my sand and lob wedge spots in my bag. The full OL offering doesn’t fit me too well but the irons are perfect.

Yeah I plan on going VL for my sand and lob wedge spots in my bag. The full OL offering doesn’t fit me too well but the irons are perfect.

I already play VL SW and LW. I ordered a VL FTB PW and dug up a 50 King Pur I had laying around and am going with that.

So my two bags now look like this:
King OL UT 21.5
FTB OL 4-9
FTB PW
King Pur 50-54-58

F9 OL 4i
F8 OL 5-6
16 VL Forged Tec 7-GW
King 54-58

I already play VL SW and LW. I ordered a VL FTB PW and dug up a 50 King Pur I had laying around and am going with that.

So my two bags now look like this:
King OL UT 21.5
FTB OL 4-9
FTB PW
King Pur 50-54-58

F9 OL 4i
F8 OL 5-6
16 VL Forged Tec 7-GW
King 54-58

Those are both fun setups!! Very nice!

The 6-7-8 irons in this set are my happy place. I have had a few guys tell me in the past that my long iron game is one of my best assets, and these are promoting great strikes with tight proximity to the hole constantly.

I've hit a few 6 irons this week, and a few in the Morgan Cup, that have an insanely good strike sound (I could listen to it for hours). My expectations on each of these irons are increasing every time I hit them in terms of proximity to the hole and I am genuinely excited to hit a 160-190 yard shot right now.

I cool off a bit with the 9 iron, and have struggled quite a bit to maximize both accuracy and distance with the PW and GW. Not sure what it is about those two irons, but i swear I am more accurate in both distance and accuracy with my 6 iron than I am with my GW which clearly means there is work to be done.

Also extremely impressed with the finish. i have a few light cuts on the sole from what I would assume to be rocks or grits of sand on contact, but nothing on the head shows the 10-15 rounds I've played with them. Easily some of the best black finish irons I've ever seen.

I got two different prices for new shafts from CPG customer service on two separate occasions which was strange. I’ve been looking at getting a new driver but I’m hitting the ball well with my F8 and I’ve been getting fit into the same but completely different shaft for other OEMs players distance irons.

I have Recoil 780 Smacwraps in my KFTB OLs but I’ve been fit recently into the KBS C-Taper Lite 110 or the KBS Tour 110 several different times now.

I guess I’ll call them back one more time and if the price is right, I’m pulling the trigger.

I got two different prices for new shafts from CPG customer service on two separate occasions which was strange. I’ve been looking at getting a new driver but I’m hitting the ball well with my F8 and I’ve been getting fit into the same but completely different shaft for other OEMs players distance irons.

I have Recoil 780 Smacwraps in my KFTB OLs but I’ve been fit recently into the KBS C-Taper Lite 110 or the KBS Tour 110 several different times now.

I guess I’ll call them back one more time and if the price is right, I’m pulling the trigger.

UPDATE: I will be getting new shafts in my irons. I went with C-Taper Lites because the tip is a little more active which will help with launch conditions for the 5i.

I love everything about the 9-8-7-6 irons in this set. They sound good, they launch the ball well, and they go like crazy. Can still get launch/spin/distance control with ease on each and every one of these irons. Side wind 6 iron from 197? No problem, past the pin on the left in carry. 165 into the wind? No problem, drive down with a bit of a held off finish and landed it five feet from the pin with a 7 iron. The stories that I am creating with these are excellent and they are worthy of the praise they have received.

That said, I simply cannot figure out the PW or GW. They are a full club if not two clubs short of everything else, and I really don't think I hit the GW any further than i do my 54 degree Cobra wedge. It is really disappointing, as I swear I am more accurate in distance and accuracy with my 6 iron than I am with my PW and that just won't do. I might get the lofts checked or something, because it just doesn't make sense to me.

Just got mine back from local golf shop. I am the type who thinks clubs are tools and wear and tear is inevitable but... I can verify the DBM does not survive the lie bending machine. Marks on the hosel, to be expected, but little dings too where the machine had touch points on the head. Kinda sucks, but now I can swing away and stop worrying about them being so pretty.

Just got mine back from local golf shop. I am the type who thinks clubs are tools and wear and tear is inevitable but... I can verify the DBM does not survive the lie bending machine. Marks on the hosel, to be expected, but little dings too where the machine had touch points on the head. Kinda sucks, but now I can swing away and stop worrying about them being so pretty.

mine have been bent as well. you can tell where the bending was done, but no chipping on mine.

I love everything about the 9-8-7-6 irons in this set. They sound good, they launch the ball well, and they go like crazy. Can still get launch/spin/distance control with ease on each and every one of these irons. Side wind 6 iron from 197? No problem, past the pin on the left in carry. 165 into the wind? No problem, drive down with a bit of a held off finish and landed it five feet from the pin with a 7 iron. The stories that I am creating with these are excellent and they are worthy of the praise they have received.

That said, I simply cannot figure out the PW or GW. They are a full club if not two clubs short of everything else, and I really don't think I hit the GW any further than i do my 54 degree Cobra wedge. It is really disappointing, as I swear I am more accurate in distance and accuracy with my 6 iron than I am with my PW and that just won't do. I might get the lofts checked or something, because it just doesn't make sense to me.
Dan, looking forward to finding out if the lofts are off or what's going on. My FTB PW looks good fun the few rounds I have in Arccos but my SW is going 9 yards further than my GW. I need more rounds to trust the data but I did come up short a couple times last round with my GW on decent strikes. My guess is it is the strike / swing for me but I'll monitor over the next few rounds.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Got my KTFB One Lengths back from CPG with C-Taper Lite 110s in them. These things are a whole different beast now! I look forward to my approach shots yesterday when I played 9.

Fulfilling some curiosity I will be comparing these to the f9s, utilities, and the King CBs soon.

F9 and Utility will have Ctaper Lite S in them
FTB and CBs will have Ctaper S in them

I had one of those rounds where I couldn't quite time the face up to get it square at impact and was leaving everything a little right today. The shots still felt great and flew the proper distance but had a little fade. At the range I've been striking these beautifully and hitting at flags and the confidence is building. They kept me in a scrappy round at a new course where I was able to shoot one shot under my cap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lots of solid shots out of the FTBs today. Best was easily a 6 iron that needed to be laser straight trying to set up for an eagle and it executed perfectly.

I'll have to grab some photos next time I am on course to show off the (lack of) wear that I've experienced. As long as I am diligent and clean the heads, I think these could easily make it through a season before some real wear would start to be present. Once again the DBM is about as good as it gets for black finish wear quality.

Also, the sound when you connect with these? Fantastic. Very addictive.

Lots of solid shots out of the FTBs today. Best was easily a 6 iron that needed to be laser straight trying to set up for an eagle and it executed perfectly.

I'll have to grab some photos next time I am on course to show off the (lack of) wear that I've experienced. As long as I am diligent and clean the heads, I think these could easily make it through a season before some real wear would start to be present. Once again the DBM is about as good as it gets for black finish wear quality.

Also, the sound when you connect with these? Fantastic. Very addictive.

There is no question that Cobra’s dbm finish is by FAR the best of any black iron/wedge finish.

Back