Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

Agree.... my FTB irons from the 2018 MC look as good as they did after 1 month in the bag. The DBM finish is the real deal.

Loving my FTB irons! First couple games I was worried I should've gone with a hybrid rather than a 5 iron but have since been fine. Best shot with it so far was a perfectly straight 213m drive (I'm keeping the driver at home for now).
Will need to keep an eye on gapping between 9 iron and PW as it might be a little more than preferred.
Also I'm loving the one length concept so much that I have ordered a 56deg wedge to go with the set.

Lots of solid shots out of the FTBs today. Best was easily a 6 iron that needed to be laser straight trying to set up for an eagle and it executed perfectly.

I'll have to grab some photos next time I am on course to show off the (lack of) wear that I've experienced. As long as I am diligent and clean the heads, I think these could easily make it through a season before some real wear would start to be present. Once again the DBM is about as good as it gets for black finish wear quality.

Also, the sound when you connect with these? Fantastic. Very addictive.

I think with a little care they will stay looking good for more than 1 year. Mine show slight fading on the sole and face but have the DBM has held up really well.
The sound of a well hit ball is really nice with these clubs.

I played 18 for the first time in a couple of weeks this morning. I'm still in love with these irons and the KBS Tour 90 combo I was fit into. Perhaps my favorite aspect of the set is how long they are, even off mishits. Two shots that stand out today, both with my 5 iron (which is my nemesis amongs all iron sets):

1. a thin shot off the fairway from 175 out. Hit the ball a couple of grooves low and knew it immediately. The ball was headed straight for the bunker left and in front of the green (somewhere I had been many times in the round). It was a fairly low shot, but it sailed over the bunker and landed pin high a few feet off the the green in the rough. 175 is my number with a 5 iron, and I hit it right on the button despite the thin shot.

2. Par three playing 171, slightly up hill. I pull my 5 iron again and tee the ball. I had been short-arming myself a few times today and not extending through the shot, hitting the ball off the toe (with all clubs). Same thing here, except I really short-armed it and hit the ball between the grooves and the blank part of the extreme toe. A very poor hit. The ball went right, but relatively straight, and landed in the bunker. Distance, however, was probably 169 out of the 172 I needed. I couldn't believe it, based on the poor quality of the strike.

TL;DR - these clubs are super forgiving and long all across the face.

Also should mention that the DBM finish is incredibly durable. No noticeable wear to the finish (if you can call it that) whatsoever.

I think with a little care they will stay looking good for more than 1 year. Mine show slight fading on the sole and face but have the DBM has held up really well.

You got that right. So satisfying.

I got out for 27 holes at a challenging par 3 course and had my best ball striking day by far with these. It didn't hurt that earlier in the week I had a lesson with my instructor who really helped me understand a flaw in my swing that was causing some inconsistencies. I was hitting really nice compressed shots and had a straight ball flight with the occasional fade. I did not hook a single ball which is huge progress for me. The ball flights were solid into the wind and the round was fun with all the shots hitting on or around the greens. Even with all the forced carry holes I did not lose a single ball and scored well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Being that you play in Mass, I would think your ground material is fairly similar to mine. Mostly dirt, not a ton of sand.

I am kind of crazy about wiping my clubs after each shot, even on the range. Not just for performance benefits (grooves are there for a reason), but I also hate looking at wear marks, especially little cuts on a club face.

I got out for 27 holes at a challenging par 3 course and had my best ball striking day by far with these. It didn't hurt that earlier in the week I had a lesson with my instructor who really helped me understand a flaw in my swing that was causing some inconsistencies. I was hitting really nice compressed shots and had a straight ball flight with the occasional fade. I did not hook a single ball which is huge progress for me. The ball flights were solid into the wind and the round was fun with all the shots hitting on or around the greens. Even with all the forced carry holes I did not lose a single ball and scored well.

Sounds like a great experience my dude. How are you liking the distances you're finding with them?

I am seriously pondering pulling the 120 Tour V's and throwing in my favourite 110 Tour V's to try and bring down the swing weight a bit. I've gotten so used to a lighter club head in my irons and I think it really benefits my swing to get through earlier and easier.

Sounds like a great experience my dude. How are you liking the distances you're finding with them?

I am seriously pondering pulling the 120 Tour V's and throwing in my favourite 110 Tour V's to try and bring down the swing weight a bit. I've gotten so used to a lighter club head in my irons and I think it really benefits my swing to get through earlier and easier.
The distances are good. I have a problem with overswinging and working with a coach I am stopping at what seems like 3/4 of a swing yet the distances are solid and the contact is more consistent. Looking at Arccos the only odd thing is that my king black SW is going further than my FTB GW. I'm not sure if that's me or if I need to get the gapping checked on the GW but everything else looks good. These really feel good with the modus3 105 for me.

Last edited:
The distances are good. I have a problem with overswinging and working with a coach I am stopping at what seems like 3/4 of a swing yet the distances are solid and the contact is more consistent. Looking at Arccos the only odd thing is that my king black SW is going further than my FTB GW. I'm not sure if that's me or if I need to get the gasping checked on the GW but everything else looks good. These really feel good with the modus3 105 for me.

Same shafts and everything? That's interesting. I'm going to need to spend more time with mine, but I am also really not having much luck with the GW. I get some massive distance out of everything above the 9 iron though.

Same shafts and everything? That's interesting. I'm going to need to spend more time with mine, but I am also really not having much luck with the GW. I get some massive distance out of everything above the 9 iron though.
Yeah.. Both the king black SW and the FTB GW have the Modus3 105t stiff shafts in them. The SW is averaging 103 which is right where I expect it with a full swing. The GW is averaging 98 and the longest I've hit it according to Arccos is only 104. It has been windy so maybe it is ballooning up or something and more swings might average it out but Arccos shows I've come up short 100% of the time with the GW. I normally hit my GW 110-115 on a smooth swing. My PW is averaging 127 which is where I expect it. I'm going to get the loft checked out and keep tracking it.

I'm now thinking that the issue is a mix of bad swings by me and having the ball balloon into the wind. I took it to a local course to have the loft checked and was informed that their club repair guy passed away and they sold all the equipment as they couldn't find anyone interested in taking the job. How is that possible?? I did pick out a flag that I lasered at 107 and was hitting my sand wedge right in front of it. With the gap wedge i was flying it over that green. Probably just more rounds (and better swings) needed.

So Cobra reshafted my irons in March and I pulled my 9 iron out during league today to find the epoxy broke and the head separated from the shaft. Luckily I noticed it was rotated and coming off before I took a swing and sent it into the water hazard off the tee.

I'm sure Cobra will take care of it but very frustrating for what are fairly new clubs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I had a good round yesterday where I shot a personal best +13 which could have been better if I hadn't bled a bunch of shots with some ugly closing holes. It was quite windy but the well struck shots were not affected much by the wind. I was getting much better contact and did not have any bad hooks with my irons. Pictured is one of my memorable holes where I pulled my drive left into the trees. My ball was sitting down in the rough and I needed to elevate quickly to get up over the trees and somehow I pulled the shot off and found the left side of the green. I still believe these are some of the best looking irons that Cobra has ever created and the performance is solid!!
06b0c51ecc2843afbb224978919cf0da.jpg

Called Cobra customer service. In less than 10 minutes I had an overnight label to Carlsbad. Hopefully get it back before the weekend.

Called Cobra customer service. In less than 10 minutes I had an overnight label to Carlsbad. Hopefully get it back before the weekend.

Dude, that's fantastic. Another CS win.

Dude, that's fantastic. Another CS win.
I mean the real win would involve epoxy not failing after like 2 months but since I just got a FedEx notice that the club I sent out for repair Monday morning will be delivered back to me tomorrow I won't get too upset.

I mean the real win would involve epoxy not failing after like 2 months but since I just got a FedEx notice that the club I sent out for repair Monday morning will be delivered back to me tomorrow I won't get too upset.

I've done an awful lot of clubwork in my time down in the Canadan Custom Shop (lol), and I can say that sometimes, it happens. No fault of anyone, just a bad bond and life goes on.

I've done an awful lot of clubwork in my time down in the Canadan Custom Shop (lol), and I can say that sometimes, it happens. No fault of anyone, just a bad bond and life goes on.

Sooner or later it happens to everyone. I don’t draw any conclusions from it.

I had a good round yesterday where I shot a personal best +13 which could have been better if I hadn't bled a bunch of shots with some ugly closing holes. It was quite windy but the well struck shots were not affected much by the wind. I was getting much better contact and did not have any bad hooks with my irons. Pictured is one of my memorable holes where I pulled my drive left into the trees. My ball was sitting down in the rough and I needed to elevate quickly to get up over the trees and somehow I pulled the shot off and found the left side of the green. I still believe these are some of the best looking irons that Cobra has ever created and the performance is solid!!
06b0c51ecc2843afbb224978919cf0da.jpg

Great looking and great performing. Well done!

Pitching wedge and gap wedge were in play with f9 irons today.

These were very nice off the face and controllable. Each time these were pulled I had a birdie putt following them. Unfortunately my putting cant capitalize on those shots.

Once this Frankenstein set is complete, I'll put them through the paces on the course for the rest of the irons.

I'd be a lot more worried if CS ignored nolan. Fortunately, they rock.

Cobra CS is awesome and crazy easy to deal with. Lots of knowledge in that group as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to get some LM data again but visually, the KFTB One Lengths are flying beautifully!! Getting properly fitted for the shafts in them was so worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back