Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

I have been working on my swing some and these irons just keep impressing me over and over. I am definitely hitting more pure shots and these have such an incredibly soft feel. These were my first set of forged irons and I am not sure I will find another set in the future I will enjoy as much. The sound was s also incredible when struck well.

I keep gaining distance with these and they are currently firmly entrenched in my bag. Still playing 8/13 Morgan Cup 2018 clubs and only replaced the F8 driver because I got an F9. Don’t over look Cobra clubs, especially these FTB irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a really great day with these yesterday and my scores are continuing to drop. I have taken a couple lessons lately as my tendency is to keep my weight too much on my back foot and present too much loft at impact. (I rarely take a divot). My instructor has helped me with this and my peak height has come down and I'm getting much more penetrating flights which helped in the windy conditions we had. On the first hole I took 3 wood and had a wedge in and hit it to 15 feet pin high left and missed the putt on the high side. Par is always a good start for me.
8d51aa26c8af35409e49bfb526690403.jpg

I had my lone birdie on the 7th hole. It is a strategic par 5 where the big hitters can carry the crap and get to the green easily in 2. The fairway runs downhill towards the waste area so if you get too aggressive on the layup (as I've done many times) you end up in it. I decided to play it as a 3 shot hole and it worked out. I hit a really well struck 6 iron followed by a good 7 iron. A shot I've worked on a lot was the half lob wedge and it gave me a 10 foot putt for birdie which dropped.

23c6ee01d12e28c7f969838ac91a40f2.jpg

I was very proud of this shot on the par 3 as it was playing into a stiff breeze and the flag was at the back. Without wind it would have been a 7 iron but I made a smooth swing with the 6 and it ended below the hole with a putt for birdie which missed on the low side. I needed a harder swing with the 6 to get it back there but I was happy with the flight.
2a1b3125b6d7300512ea95ad84838710.jpg

These irons have continued to perform for me and as I've worked on my swing they've only gotten better. I am only nervous about my rapidly dropping handicap and having to potentially give pops in my next event!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had a really great day with these yesterday and my scores are continuing to drop. I have taken a couple lessons lately as my tendency is to keep my weight too much on my back foot and present too much loft at impact. (I rarely take a divot). My instructor has helped me with this and my peak height has come down and I'm getting much more penetrating flights which helped in the windy conditions we had. On the first hole I took 3 wood and had a wedge in and hit it to 15 feet on high left and missed the putt on the high side. Par is always a good start for me.

I had my lone birdie on the 7th hole. It is a strategic par 5 where the big hitters can carry the crap and get to the green easily in 2. The fairway runs downhill towards the waste area so if you get too aggressive on the layup (as I've done many times) you end up in it. I decided to play it as a 3 shot hole and it worked out. I hit a really well struck 6 iron followed by a good 7 iron. A shot I've worked on a lot was the half lob wedge and it gave me a 10 foot putt for birdie which dropped.

I was very proud of this shot on the par 3 as it was playing into a stiff breeze and the flag was at the back. Without wind it would have been a 7 iron but I made a smooth swing with the 6 and it ended below the hole with a putt for birdie which missed on the low side. I needed a harder swing with the 6 to get it back there but I was happy with the flight.

These irons have continued to perform for me and as I've worked on my swing they've only gotten better. I am only nervous about my rapidly dropping handicap and having to potentially give pops in my next event!!

Great feedback. It’s fun to watch your journey.

I had a really great day with these yesterday and my scores are continuing to drop. I have taken a couple lessons lately as my tendency is to keep my weight too much on my back foot and present too much loft at impact. (I rarely take a divot). My instructor has helped me with this and my peak height has come down and I'm getting much more penetrating flights which helped in the windy conditions we had. On the first hole I took 3 wood and had a wedge in and hit it to 15 feet on high left and missed the putt on the high side. Par is always a good start for me.

You're getting some great distances out of those irons! Pops or not, really wouldn't want to be facing you in your next event!

You're getting some great distances out of those irons! Pops or not, really wouldn't want to be facing you in your next event!
We'll have to be partners then!!

My dad has been hitting these crazy well over the last couple rounds. getting them back is going to be a GRIND haha!

He's been playing some distance irons that don't interact all that well with the turf in terms of actually driving through the ground. As soon as he got the FTBs in hand, he immediately found better ground interaction and the sound is fantastic when he strikes it well. They've quickly become his best shots.

Won't surprise me if he has a set in play for the next year or more.

My dad has been hitting these crazy well over the last couple rounds. getting them back is going to be a GRIND haha!

He's been playing some distance irons that don't interact all that well with the turf in terms of actually driving through the ground. As soon as he got the FTBs in hand, he immediately found better ground interaction and the sound is fantastic when he strikes it well. They've quickly become his best shots.

Won't surprise me if he has a set in play for the next year or more.

I presume he is still playing them with the KBS Tour V shafts? What kind of club speed does he generate?

I presume he is still playing them with the KBS Tour V shafts? What kind of club speed does he generate?

tour v stiff. Made a slight shaft change.

I've got a set of tour v 90s in the basement that I think would work better, but not ready to break them down just yet. Still fun to be had. He's not that fast, more in the R/S range.

So got mine back yesterday, this time with $-tapers to replace the C Taper Lites that kept breaking. Need to get on the course, they feel a little different than what Cobra CS said they would.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

So got mine back yesterday, this time with $-tapers to replace the C Taper Lites that kept breaking. Need to get on the course, they feel a little different than what Cobra CS said they would.

How do they feel different?

How do they feel different?
Feel more whippy to me. You read about how it's supposed to feel between a Tour and a C Taper, I haven't played the Tour much at all, but it doesn't feel too C Taper-y to me so maybe it's closer to the Tour. It's not bad, the lighter, whippy feel to me might be what all the reviews call smooth. I've typically played stouter shafts so it's not necessarily bad, just different. I hit a quick bucket yesterday off mats, was getting my numbers, maybe even picked up 2-3 yards, and the window looked good. Just want to get it on real turf in a round which I can hopefully do this afternoon.

At this point I'll take anything that doesn't involve me sending broken clubs back to Cobra and waiting for repairs.

This is not meant as criticism, only observation for comparison. I have played both C Taper Lites and $ Taper 110s in that head and to me, there is no question that the $ Tapers feel more stout than C Taper Lites, but, of course, the C Taper Lites are a completely different animal than the C Taper, which is definitely a big boy shaft and too much for my swing.

I definitely agree that the $ Taper would feel closer to a Tour shaft than a C Taper, fwiw. I hope that they turn out well for you. You have been on a journey with these, for sure.

This is not meant as criticism, only observation for comparison. I have played both C Taper Lites and $ Taper 110s in that head and to me, there is no question that the $ Tapers feel more stout than C Taper Lites, but, of course, the C Taper Lites are a completely different animal than the C Taper, which is definitely a big boy shaft and too much for my swing.

I definitely agree that the $ Taper would feel closer to a Tour shaft than a C Taper, fwiw. I hope that they turn out well for you. You have been on a journey with these, for sure.

I went from C Taper Lite 110 to $ Taper 120, though I have had regular C Tapers in the past as well.

It's tough man. I don't think I'm very good at articulating how a shaft feels for me much beyond "like it" or "don't like it". I know the $ Taper has a stiffer tip than the CTL, maybe what I'm calling whip is just feeling the balance point or midsection or handle differently? Or it's just loading is more obvious?

I did also change to a lighter grip, so it's a pretty completely different feel (UTX Mid to the stock F9 Crossline REL Tour Taper). Like I said, not a bad thing, but it does feel more active in the downswing than the CTL did to me.

But like I said, performance seems to be pretty similar.

Played 18 today and really enjoyed the new $ Tapers in my FTB OL on real turf. Shots had height, stopping power, and hit my numbers. Had probably my best GIR day of the year (if only I could putt). 3/4 on the Par 3s, and the one miss was a hybrid, not an iron.

Played 18 today and really enjoyed the new $ Tapers in my FTB OL on real turf. Shots had height, stopping power, and hit my numbers. Had probably my best GIR day of the year (if only I could putt). 3/4 on the Par 3s, and the one miss was a hybrid, not an iron.

Nice!!

Hey all, just another update.
Still loving these OL IRONS. Got myself a handicap (21) and have broken 100 6 or so times since which is great for me.
Managed a 94 today with two blow outs (a 9 and a 12, both on par 5's) so had a bunch of other good holes. Nailed my 5 iron 227m (248 yards) also. I recently added a 3h (one length) to my bag and for the most part today it didn't play nice, but I did managed two good tee shots with it - 240m (262 yards).

My only thing is the gapping between the 56deg SW and my GW (50deg). It is a good 20m. Has anyone had their SW loft strengthened by a degree or two to close the gapping? I was thinking maybe bend my 56 to a 55 or 54, then I'd maybe get a 60 and get it bent to a 58? It's a bit of a shame there aren't more one length wedge options.

I'm still enjoying the FTB irons and scoring well with them. On the first hole I hit my PW well and it hit and stuck pin high inside 10ft and I got the birdie. On both par 3's I took a 3/4 swing with my 7 iron and both times had putts inside 15 feet. (unfortunately I didn't make either but the iron did its job !)

​​​ Screenshot_20190819-211021.jpgScreenshot_20190819-211118.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190819-214037.jpg
    Screenshot_20190819-214037.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 8
93civiccpe;n8881373 said:
I'm still enjoying the FTB irons and scoring well with them. On the first hole I hit my PW well and it hit and stuck pin high inside 10ft and I got the birdie. On both par 3's I took a 3/4 swing with my 7 iron and both times had putts inside 15 feet. (unfortunately I didn't make either but the iron did its job !)

​​​

It sure looks like you are getting plenty of distance with the FTBs. That’s awesome.

Looking to get my hands on this set, from the reviews I’ve seen on them seems like a fair pairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive me if this has been answered but I searched and couldn't find it. I hope someone can help me. I'm looking to pull the trigger on FTB OL with Dynamic Gold 120s. I can't find info on if all of the head weights are equal without the shafts or if the overall club weights the same when combined with the variable weight shafts? I'm worried that I'm going to screw up the weighting with the reshaft to a constant weight shaft. Also, will the lie angles need to be changed given they are different throughout the set with the AMT shafts? I'm assuming the change in lie angle is due to the change in shaft weight. I had the F7s and I know they were the same lie angle throughout the set.

Any help would be appreciated.

I had a really solid round with these on Saturday and the first round in a long time where I had 3 birdies in one round and scored a personal best. On the par 3 the ball landed past the flag and drew back and I thought I had my first ace.. It was that close.
Screenshot_20190909-110918.jpgScreenshot_20190909-110723.jpg I had one iron swing where I was active with my hands and pulled the ball way left (lost ball). On a drivable par 4 I had 200 yards to a creek into wind and I took my 6 iron which is my 190 yard club to lay up and caught it flush and went into the hazard. Later in the round on another par 3 with wind at my back I flushed a GW that went 157 yards and flew the green because I hit it flush and the wind took it. My swing is finally getting into form where I am striking the ball well and these FTB's are rewarding those swings!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190909-110703.jpg
    Screenshot_20190909-110703.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20190909-110647.jpg
    Screenshot_20190909-110647.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190907_154905.jpg
    20190907_154905.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
So I'm still gaming these with one adjustment. I struggled with the OL PW and GW and went back to a VL (King Pro CB). But man I love the FTB long irons.

I just snagged a sweet deal on some FTB ol irons
7-pw,gw on a whim . I was thinking of ordering the 5 and 6 once I try the irons . Anyone know if these will be discontinued ? To be discounted soon ?
Thanks gb

anyone still gaming these ? Is Cobra going to discount these and or discontinue them ?
gb

Back