Cobra King LTD Driver - THP Review

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
EDIT - The THP Review can be found here on the home page in full.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/king-cobra-ltd-driver-review/

Arriving for review yesterday was the Cobra King LTD driver, a visually stimulating product of the partnership between Cobra Golf and the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space. From the inside out, this "High MOI" and "Zero CG" driver catch the eye and mind instantly. Frankly, I'm excited.

While I would usually provide information direct from the company, I think it's important to link the preview provided by THP recently. It's definitely worth a read and loaded with information about the King LTD driver. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/cobra-king-ltd-driver-preview/

In Hand Photos

20150829_114722-L.jpg

20150829_114642-L.jpg

20150829_114656-L.jpg

20150829_114804-L.jpg

20150829_114744-L.jpg

20150829_114935-L.jpg

20150829_115109-L.jpg

20150829_115015-L.jpg

20150829_115044-L.jpg

20150829_115021-L.jpg

20150829_114557-L.jpg

20150829_115330-L.jpg

20150829_115412-L.jpg

20150829_115359-L.jpg

20150829_115503-L.jpg

20150829_115144-L.jpg

20150829_115133-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is sweet looking , Looking forward to your test thoughts .

Looking forward to your thoughts after you get to test it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk about visible tech. Shape seems to be quite interesting as well.

Played in a scramble today, and took the King LTD to the range beforehand thinking I'd just get a few reps in. I found the center of the face (and a bit towards the toe) very quickly and steadily watched as the ball launched around mid height a good distance down the range.

bfd0a6de0ba03a60118506c19d4af09b.jpg

Decided it would be worth taking to the course, which is always an interesting experience as scrambles are 'grip it and rip it' when I play with my wife and dad (they demand it). For the entire day, I was peppering balls, between draws, straight balls, and fades. For the most part I was able to predict the flight and could elevate or reduce launch fairly easily. I don't have raw numbers and I don't have distance numbers, but I could game this club in a heartbeat and I wouldn't even think twice about it.

The sound absolutely surprised me. It's not really muted after hitting it exclusively, but it's nowhere near as dialed up as many of the other active drivers on the market right now. It's just a lower audible level but still promotes good strike sound when you hit it on the right part of the face.

The lack of a fade option is a bit disappointing in the adapter, but that's nothing new I don't believe (There are a wide variety of options between 9-12 degrees plus draw). I believe the pro model drops the loft quite a bit further than this.

I've never really been partial to the orange and would argue it's the least ideal design element, but that's entirely personal. The spaceport certainly looks strange (read: different) when you get it out of the headcover, but there's nothing visible at address and that's really all that should matter.

Seeing inside is extremely cool. I think my images capture it well, but they have some interesting writing and references to CASIS. plenty more to come soon.

Hurry up and hit the course. This one has me excited.

I have got to try this thing out. I have enjoyed my Amp cell driver and really driving my best with my bio cell

I like the looks of the club.

If I can find the money in a few months, I am absolutely getting one of these.

Enjoyed reading your initial thoughts Dan. It's a nice looking driver that is loaded with tech for sure.

JM

I'll be back on course tomorrow and will have some more complete thoughts in the evening.

If you've got questions, make sure to ask them!

Thanks for those initial thoughts Dan.

Is this one geared towards a low/lower handicap?

I am really digging the looks of this driver and line to be exact. I have always loved the King Cobra line,gamed the irons in the past. The tech behind this is pretty cool and seems like a real winner.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

How would you rate the forgiveness level on this? Compared to bba, 816, and other drivers you've hit in the past?

Thanks for those initial thoughts Dan.

Is this one geared towards a low/lower handicap?

That's a great question, Mike. Being that there is a pro model, I don't think this one is primarily focused on the lower handicaps (and the 12* loft would suggest there's room for helping to flight higher) but I certainly didn't have issue getting great distance out of the 9* setup.

They are also talking high MOI which would suggest an interest in forgiveness.

I love the look of the face. Is it 460 or smaller?

I love the idea of the tech, but how much, if any, of an improvement is it over what else is out there today? Is the tech in the driver really life changing?

Thanks. I noticed the face and couldn't tell is they used the E9 face technology that's been solid on the previous offerings.

I love the look of the face. Is it 460 or smaller?

That might be a question for Cobra. I've looked through their tech info and JBs original release and didn't see anything.

It sets up a little bit larger than some of the real "pro" models out there, but it's also a bit flatter overall it seems.

Thanks. I noticed the face and couldn't tell is they used the E9 face technology that's been solid on the previous offerings.

Definitely rocking that e9. They've also got some interesting tech in the crown with a unique carbon fiber to help reduce weight up at the top and reposition elsewhere.

The visible tech is such a unique feature.

Great pics, Dan! Forgiveness, as Kang asked, is the ONE thing I'm most curious about. Cobra has a graph that shows the low CG in one axis, and MOI on the other. Them touting near similar forgiveness but lower CG than G30 LS Tec has me wondering if it's truly noticeable on-course where it matters. Any info on perceived forgiveness would be great!

Back